1 2
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/16/22 7:31 p.m.

In reply to engiekev :

Thanks for the inquiries.  I understand if she has her heart initially set of some more lux like heated seats.  This one has bluetooth but plays phone calls only.  There is a 3.5mm aux port for audio play.  Adding a dual din is very popular which could get you all the way to apple car play.  

Sample:

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/19/22 11:07 a.m.
John Welsh said:

Some update to the sales process.  I put that car up on Tues.  Got one weak FB question on the same day and on the following day CL brought in a phone call that resulted in a test drive.  That test drive finished with, "we'll think about it."  Since then, it has been complete radio silence.  No inquiries from either source.  I really expect that I'd have someone inquiring about a Saturday test drive.  So, maybe a little premature, but I've made a price change going from $6,500 to $6,200.  Not a huge change but at least for people on FB who may have saved the ad, they will now get a ping from FB telling them of the price reduction.  

Here's some of the experiment:  I launched the ad with what I admit felt like a crazy high price.  My goal was to ask $6,500 and see what kind of traffic that would bring.  Those first days tend to bring the serious buyers and sure thing, the very next day a couple drove 1 hour to see it.  Typically in that first weekend, I would hold firm to my price, especially if it seemed there were multiple shoppers.  But, here we are just 2 hours before the banks close for the weekend (plus MLK day) and I have no one coming to see it.  So, today I made a slight price drop.  

To show my cards...I'd love to get $6,500 but I was always ready to drop to $6,000.  I'll try holding $6,200 sighting the recent drop but I'm flexible.  It becomes that delicate balance of I want the high price but I don't want to wait forever.  I'll continue the small price drops.  My real bottom is $5,000 but I have some time before I get there.  

SOLD  $5,800
Appointment to see the car at 10:00.  We collectively walked out of the bank (and I had cash in my account) by 11:00

Buyer arrived in a Hyundai rental car.  Her 2010 Prius had been hit and totaled.  

Sold to the second person who drove the car.  I'm surprised that shopping was so slow over the 3 day MLK weekend.  Even no real inquiries.  But, then last night, Monday night, I had 2 FB conversations and 1 CL conversation.  It was one of these who bought it via FB conversation.  

Knowing I had a shopper coming today, I sent my wife to school in 1 Prius and left her minivan in the driveway.  I moved the other Prius to the country club parking lot next door.  All that was in my driveway was the 1 Prius to sell (and a Minivan and Pickup.)  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/19/22 11:36 a.m.

With the ads gone, the pictures go away too.  So, for that reason, these are the pictures I sold the car with.

This was the text of the ad:

2007 Prius with 160k miles
Every option but leather and navigation. Has the upgraded JBL radio which includes bluetooth and aux port. Includes back up camera, smart key, and homelink garage opener.

I have owned this car since Nov 2016 @ 79,000 miles. (for 5 years and 81,000 miles) Always maintained with full synthetic oil and genuine Toyota oil filters. Recent maintenance includes:

149,000 front and rear struts
138,000 two front wheel bearings
135,500 front brakes
131,000 12v small battery

Always returns better than 40 mpg. Fully ready to go. Hop in and drive anywhere! Hybrid battery in great health and I have the Prius software to prove it.

The car is located 1 miles for the Sandusky Mall, Sandusky, OH and can be seen at my home or a mutually convenient location.

Clean title, in my name. Real private party sale.

Cooter
Cooter PowerDork
1/19/22 11:48 a.m.

Well sold.   You basically leased it for 4 years and 80k miles for free.

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
1/19/22 11:54 a.m.

Agreed, that is a good price and interesting to see the results of the experiment.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/19/22 11:55 a.m.

In reply to Cooter :

Thanks and thank you (and others) for their early input.  

I saw this car as my main competition in the market: '05 w/ 130k asking $6,300  Two years older but 30k less miles so maybe a wash.  Looks clean but who knows.  My first test drivers live about 5 minutes from that car and 1 hour from me.  I sort of figured that they went back and bought this one.  They never mentioned it but it's what I thought. Of course, it could just be that dealer game of keeping up dead listings to try to continue to drive traffic.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/19/22 11:57 a.m.
engiekev said:

Agreed, that is a good price and interesting to see the results of the experiment.

I've never done it before but adding the competition listings to my first posting was surprise genius to me, for myself.  I could define the competition and then easy click to see what (if any) competition was selling.  

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
1/19/22 12:11 p.m.

I like the idea of sharing external (non GRM) sale posts on here, what the posting was and initial listing and sale price. Really useful to gauge the market, which is all out of sorts at the moment.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps SuperDork
1/19/22 12:59 p.m.

Congrats John, you did very well! Good luck with the rest of the thinning of the herd.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/19/22 12:59 p.m.

I'm going to need help pricing my 2011 Volt once it's ready to sell. Hopefully in the next week or two. 150k miles but a 50k mile battery was just put in. It has hail damage but a clean title.  I had been thinking $6k but now I'm thinking $8k. What do you think?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/19/22 1:21 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

The key for me was try to go buy/shop for a similar condition car. 

Play down the hail. At 10 years and 150k some "road wear" is expected. Play up the fresh battery! 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
1/19/22 2:38 p.m.

Is it worth putting in a modern stereo that has Apple Play or android play ?

is that a deal breaker for some people . or enough of a Plus that they will look at your car first ?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/19/22 3:19 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

The contradiction I see is that if your shopper is fixated on modern features then they probably aren't shopping 15 year old cars.

Or, if they are tech-aware and are shopping 15 year old cars they're probably also aware of the aftermarket solutions.

I only had two test drivers but it likely wouldn't have helped with either. My buyer was  mid 60s.   

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
2/17/22 8:36 a.m.

Considering selling any of the others? I am westlake no too far away

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/17/22 9:37 a.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

I knew you came to Cleveland but I thought it was East Side.  Westlake puts you pretty close.  

Sorry to report...my P6 will likely be leaving this weekend.  Sold to a friend of the family.  This was the $500 Prius that I then mixed with my "parts car" Prius to make one good Prius.  

But, if you really want one, I'll help you find one.  I'm even willing to test-drive/inspect it before sale.  

If you haven't, read through the buyers guide

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
2/17/22 9:48 a.m.
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/17/22 9:51 a.m.

This one just went up in Penn, 2006 w/ 138k at $3.7k.  It has some fender and hood damage.  That looks like a $200 problem for parts in the right color that need no paint.  Next question is weather the title is clean and not salvage.  But, if it is salvage, that is easy too.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/17/22 9:55 a.m.

Prius V's are never cheap.  I'd like to have one and shopped one when I bought my 1st Gen2 instead but even then, in 2016,Prius V's were not cheap.  Since the PRius V is Gen3, you will see in the buyers guide that I recommend the drivetrain in the Gen2's instead.

The blue is nice but I'd chase that red one in PA first.  

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
2/17/22 9:56 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I looked at the dimensions of the Prius V, is it that much of a difference? Seems like the trunk is the most significant which would benefit me.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/17/22 9:58 a.m.

The difference on the V is limo-like rear leg room.  In other countries, the V is sold with a 3rd row sort of like the Mazda5 is here.  In the US, the 3rd is eliminated and the 2nd row is HUGE.  That is why the V is the taxi cab/Uber of choice and that is why so many have so many miles.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/17/22 10:05 a.m.

For the red one we need better pictures of the actual damage and need to see if the driver's door is affected.  

Read up on on what my P5 cost to put back on the road with parts from the guy in Ravenna, OH

If you can get the VIN of the red car from the seller, I'll run it and see what dealer service its had.  

That red is a deal (possibly.)  With only 138k miles and no damage, that could be a $7k car in this market.  The red one does not have PA inspection.  That hurts him for PA sales driving the price down but makes it an opportunity for Ohio buyers!

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
2/17/22 10:54 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Seller said it's likely sold, there are 3 above me.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/17/22 11:03 a.m.

No surprise.  I was searching parts for that red one.  The closest I could find all the needed red in one place on car-part was in Cinci area.  But even so, $50 fender, $100 hood, $125 door.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/17/22 11:06 a.m.

This one went up in Ann Arbor yesterday.  It is a fair price (if everything is good.)  

'05 w/210k asking $3.8k

The blue one you posted is a "fair" price. It is a great color only offered in the last two years of the Gen2.  See if you can get the vin from the seller and I'll run it for service history

Factory rocker panels are not painted black like they are in the blue one.  This is a common tactic for hiding rust.  It may not be the end of the world.  I actually have considered doing the same on one of mine.  It generally comes out looking very neat.  The new black rocker aligns with the black lower aero spoiler on the rear bumper.  

My green car for comparison: 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/17/22 11:21 a.m.

Loaded with leather and nav.  '08 w/203k asking $4,700  East of Pittsburgh

North of Pittsburgh airport...'08 w/122k asking $4.800  Says there is a light on for coolant sensor.  I'm not familiar. But, if we can see some history, I have little to fear of a Prius with just 122k

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dCKowbZl0ZGuMJj8rXdTL9FQAyKoMoIbNgmeevfkGn2lgSe1kaLKQKsZlgZHFExb