1 2
Fladiver64 (Forum Supporter)
Fladiver64 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/13/23 10:12 a.m.

I had an issue with my MR2, engine fire while parked in the driveway. Looks like a fair amount of damage, wiring harness, fuel lines, hoses, some body work on drivers side, and one rear tire that I can tell.

My insurances is going to total the car and I have asked what the salvage value might be to buy it back. Still waiting for that answer. I do not want to put the time into getting the car back together but thought someone here might depending on price.  My plan would be to sell it for the salvage value. If anyone is interested let me know and I will post the price as soon as I get it. I am sure the price is going to make a big difference.

Build log for those not familiar https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/1991-mr2-1mz-fe-swap-challenge-build/144188/page1/

Here are some pictures of the damage

Docwemple
Docwemple Reader
1/13/23 10:22 a.m.

Looks like a wiring harness and hoses. Any plastic bits get ruined. I'm interested 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/23 12:08 p.m.

Oh no!!!

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
1/13/23 2:44 p.m.

Sorry to hear.  I remember pitting near you guys at the Challenge a few years ago (I had the green DC2 Integra), it looked super cool with the Mako theme.  Hopefully the buy back comes in at a very reasonable number. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/13/23 4:58 p.m.

Probably a neat opportunity to play along with JG's build at a challenge budget.

Docwemple
Docwemple Reader
1/13/23 5:58 p.m.

Fladiver64, if it is for sale you can text at 410 three three 0 fourteen 37

1/13/23 8:29 p.m.

In reply to Docwemple :

As soon as I get a number from the insurance company I will.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
1/14/23 4:31 p.m.

I'd like to step in line once you get the insurance estimate.  I'm in FL.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/23 4:57 p.m.

Man that sucks.  

Docwemple
Docwemple Reader
1/18/23 6:47 p.m.

In reply to Fladiver64 (Forum Supporter) :

Any update from the insurance company 

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
1/18/23 8:03 p.m.

I just skimmed the build thread.  What a shame.  After all that effort it's been cooked...I can see why you wouldn't want to go through that again.  When I glanced at the engine bay I figured the 4th coil pack was obscured.  Spoiler-alert if you haven't looked closely...but it's been V6 swapped w/a Solara/Camery engine.  I'm sure that may make the wiring & hoses even more "fun" to fix...but I think it'd be worth it.

1/20/23 4:49 p.m.

In reply to Docwemple :

No, called today and they are waiting for salvage value to come in from a third party, probably end of next week. They never do anything fast but collect premiums

1/20/23 4:51 p.m.

In reply to Hoondavan :

Yeah I have moved on to other projects so dont really want to do thing one agian. I am sure a GRMer could get this back in running condition.

Docwemple
Docwemple Reader
1/20/23 4:58 p.m.

Yeah, no kidding. I worked for the insurance industry.  Most corrupt business in the nation,  followed closely by big pharma and big oil. All 3 need a massive reality check 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/26/23 3:15 p.m.

Perfect candidate for a 2GR swap...

Docwemple
Docwemple Reader
1/26/23 3:18 p.m.

Fladiver64, any update on price?

2/1/23 3:32 p.m.

In reply to Docwemple :

Insurance is still waiting on adjusters report, I called him and he has not submitted it yet. Said he will do it by end of today. We will see.

Docwemple
Docwemple Reader
2/1/23 3:51 p.m.

Gotta love adjusters.  Laziest people on the planet and half don't know their ass from a hole on the ground.  Thanks for the update!!

2/3/23 3:23 p.m.

OK I heard back today and they are claiming the salvage value is $3000, so I said I was not interested in keeping the car as it would have had a certificate of destruction for a title and would not be registrable again. I thought that was too much for a shell so I just took my agreed value, and they get the car.

Docwemple
Docwemple Reader
2/3/23 4:55 p.m.

Gotcha 

rande
rande New Reader
2/4/23 9:03 a.m.

That value is out of line.  A few years ago the salvage value of my MR2 was $400.  Someone rear-ended it but was still drivable.  

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/23 11:01 a.m.

Smart move

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/23 2:00 p.m.

That adjuster must be an MR2 fan!

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
2/4/23 7:04 p.m.
rande said:

That value is out of line.  A few years ago the salvage value of my MR2 was $400.  Someone rear-ended it but was still drivable.  

I agree it's high considering the damage

That said, in the past four years values have really gone up

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/5/23 11:58 a.m.
Fladiver64 (Forum Supporter) said:

OK I heard back today and they are claiming the salvage value is $3000, so I said I was not interested in keeping the car as it would have had a certificate of destruction for a title and would not be registrable again. I thought that was too much for a shell so I just took my agreed value, and they get the car.

The certificate of destruction (CofD) is a big deal.  That is a FL designation meaning the car can not go back on the road...at least in Florida.  Ohio titles do not have a designation for CofD.  I am not sure, but maybe Ohio (or other states) would allow for it to be rebuilt to a Rebuilt Salvage title.  That would have to be looked into.  

The car wont be something for me but it might be interesting that when the car is picked up find out where it is going.  It will likely go to Copart or IAA.  From there you can watch to see what bidding goes to on those sites.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OWi2oHrnWPSUryZ8VJqTllD7hyL0nvAU9Co26um5NgCr6fXczrYHg0ht4HNS6CEJ