B13Birk
B13Birk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/6/22 7:11 p.m.

Last one. NMNA. I was going to go get this but it fell through on my end as the buyer for my CB550 backed out. 

This is a super solid deal. Cars runs and drives. Rare gem here folks. CORRECTION - $1700 with the motor and everything. Not $1500. I made a typo in the title annnnddd cant change it. 

Marketplace

The seller is really cool and wants to see if not get parted out if he can help it. 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/8/22 1:23 p.m.

Now that is a Challenge car.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/8/22 1:54 p.m.

I had one just like this when I was about 18 years old.  It ws a blast!  until I was doing some donuts in a field and found a concrete culvert hidden by weeds.  Boom!  totaled :(

Oh boy...

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/8/22 9:21 p.m.

No title is why that isn't gone yet

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
3/9/22 6:46 a.m.

That's a pretty much perfect RallyCross car if one has a trailer. 1991 is much better than a 1990 as it's common with a lot of parts from 92-94. 1990 was a bastard year, different trans, transfer case, ECU, wiring harness, lots of other weird stuff 

Sadly it'll likely be parted out. Parts are getting hard to find.

B13Birk
B13Birk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/9/22 9:49 a.m.

Someone buy it! Haha. He said he would take $1700 for the car with the motor etc. 

Id snag it. In fact I almost did but its not in the cards at the moment. 

I think he said if he didn't sell it by Saturday he would sell the transmission next. 

GO GRM do your thing. So much enablement! 

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
3/9/22 12:52 p.m.

I wish I had the cash! I have a 1990 in my garage waiting to be re-assembled.  These cars are the most fun keeping close to stock, modifying too much adds turbo lag and drivetrain parts start imploding (many trans parts are NLA now).  GRM Challenge build would be easy: use budget on suspension, straight pipe it, manual boost controller, fuel pump and its good for low 14s high 13s with basically no budget.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
3/9/22 4:42 p.m.
engiekev said:

These cars are the most fun keeping close to stock...

People always say this about DSMs, but they don't seem to really mean it. 

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
3/15/22 9:02 a.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:
engiekev said:

These cars are the most fun keeping close to stock...

People always say this about DSMs, but they don't seem to really mean it. 

That is way too true.  The temptation is real.  GRM challenge budget would be a great way to prevent DSM scope creep.

I've gone down that path enough times to know its better to stick with a 16g frame turbo, transmission internals are NLA and TRE is really the only (reputable) shop that can do a full rebuild and upgrade.  Even then, enough boosty launches at a drag strip will liquify the internals.  High torque also kills them, so a "stroker" 2.3L or 2.4L is also not a wise choice for drivetrain preservation. 

Forced Performance offers some pretty wicked 16g frame turbos that flow more than an MHI 20g and spool faster.  Not GRM challenge friendly.

https://forcedperformance.shop/collections/dsm-turbochargers/products/dsm-6851s-aka-68hta-v3

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
3/15/22 10:01 a.m.

In reply to engiekev :

I've had 6-8 DSMs. The only one that ran right was an all stock 95 GST that I got cheap because the plugs were fouled. New plugs and it ran great. Had to sell because I was moving. It was a blast to drive around town.

The other 5 to 7 were abused, neglected, modified.  They never ran right. Ever. Constant problems. Bad everything's and just full on dumpster fires. I have given up on DSMs for the last time. Maybe. 

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
3/15/22 10:27 a.m.

FWD turbo was the most fun on the street.  So many abused and neglected cars out there, anything left that is remotely stock is fetching high prices now unfortunately.

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
3/15/22 10:47 a.m.

This was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for as a donor to stick into my Mighty Max minitruck, couldn't find ANY at the time.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gKgUsaDnfdzRd4f0SYmddBqWnpqEMXodhuhDtcZEvceA3GT95KEwsapCNCtU4C8B