11/28/21 7:40 a.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
11/28/21 8:45 a.m.

Damn shame it's not a GTA

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/28/21 9:14 a.m.

How much do you have to dislike this teenage girl to saddle her with a 35 year old car?

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
11/28/21 9:29 a.m.

Teenage girls are always looking for rolling restoration projects with poor parts support that nobody their age has heard of.

Aren't high mileage early NC Miatas not much more money than this? 

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
11/28/21 9:34 a.m.
John Welsh said:

How much do you have to dislike this teenage girl to saddle her with a 35 year old car?

I feel attacked. Katie loved her e30 convertible! laugh

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/28/21 9:49 a.m.

These were hard to get parts for 15 years ago and aren't great to drive. Not worth the headache for anything short of a GTA, or maybe the weirdo Encore Electronic.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/28/21 9:50 a.m.

Was the e30 really 35 years old the year Katie started driving it?  I'm gonna bet it was not even 25 years old when Katie started driving it. 

It also wasn't a Renault.  devil

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/21 11:00 a.m.
John Welsh said:

Carli's dad bought her one for her first car and it left her stranded on train tracks. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/21 11:01 a.m.

Teenage girls need to be in the most reliable cars on the planet. 

That ain't it. 

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
11/28/21 11:04 a.m.
John Welsh said:

Was the e30 really 35 years old the year Katie started driving it?  I'm gonna bet it was not even 25 years old when Katie started driving it. 

It also wasn't a Renault.  devil

Hm. This was in, what, 2011, and the car was an '88... so fair point. It was only 23 years old. Though it leaked like a sieve and was actively melting. Also, I kind of dig that Renault, even though I realize it's only a facsimile of a vehicle.

pointofdeparture
11/28/21 11:44 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Something safer than a tin can with Renault stamped on it is also preferable.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
11/28/21 12:03 p.m.

This sounded like a title to  a cheap 1960s grade B Movie :)

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
11/28/21 12:29 p.m.

Buy her a pair of really good walking shoes to ride under the seat, briefly before they get worn outdevil

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/28/21 12:35 p.m.

Wow, y'all got the post Thanksgiving boo boo face or what?  I will consider my post titles a little longer in the future.

pointofdeparture
11/28/21 12:50 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

I am possibly the biggest French car apologist on this board; I screwed around with these as a teenager in Wisconsin, I've had Encores and GTAs and the whole lot, and in 2021 I would not tell anyone to buy one of these.

The entire pitch is that they're weird, as there's pretty much nothing desirable about them by modern standards (slow, unsafe, not built well, not fun to drive, scarce parts); now people are also convinced they are worth money since there are so few left. The modern US Renault scene is also full of the blind leading the blind, to say the least. 

An Alliance GTA has redeeming qualities and is worth the headache if you're into sport compact oddities but the rest of the AMC Renault lineup is a hard pass, IMO. In general I would still say that they had an undeservedly poor reputation but that doesn't change the fact that they are a difficult car to own without much upside these days.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
11/28/21 2:42 p.m.

Maybe not a teenage girl's dream car, but a sure path to Lemons rally glory.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/28/21 6:27 p.m.

Is this the car that killed off AMC and the Kenosha plant?

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/28/21 6:56 p.m.

I think the current vehicle of choice for that demographic is...

pointofdeparture
11/28/21 7:58 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Is this the car that killed off AMC and the Kenosha plant?

The story is way more complicated than that (Renault's pro-AMC CEO was literally assassinated, after his death more conservative leadership took over Renault in France, and they ultimately decided to pull the plug on AMC and the Kenosha plant) but basically, yes.

Interestingly at the end (1987) AMC was actually making money again, had just built the new Brampton Assembly plant, and was gearing up to release the ZJ Grand Cherokee which went on to print lots of money for Chrysler. Lots of interesting "what ifs".

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/29/21 5:26 p.m.

Always the downside.  Look at the upside: These cars were kinda crappy, any example that has lasted this long was well built or at least well maintained.  And isn't the first rule of European car club "you are buying the previous owner's maintenance habits"?

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/29/21 6:28 p.m.
RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
11/29/21 11:22 p.m.

Just send me all the Renault Fuego engines and trans you find.

Never see them in wrecking yards anymore in this area.

Sil80redtop
Sil80redtop HalfDork
12/2/21 7:55 a.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

I heard that teenage girls want Teslas for the self-driving features.

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/2/21 8:04 a.m.

As the father of two teenage girls I chose the Honda CRV route and they have exceeded every expectation.  

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/21 8:23 a.m.

Teen girls?

Hell, I'd drive it with a smile on my face.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MofwXeLSdlObZZv73Xb7cQEy3hjKGaKxwSyCPEqN4ALGJ3cIf1uJjODpT9ySLxgL