jwagner
jwagner New Reader
9/10/19 8:46 a.m.

In SE Wisconsin. K20A2 complete rebuild with about 30 hours on the engine - not much more than broken in. Engine internals include 12.7 compression Mahle pistons, Carrillo rods, pretty much new everything, head built by C&S Performance. Break-in, tune, and dyno at King Motorsports on E85; 230WHP. Complete suspension teardown and rebuild. $36K in receipts, not including the original BP motor. More info at https://sites.google.com/view/k20-exocet/home

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
9/10/19 10:34 a.m.

Nice car, what prompted the sale? 

jwagner
jwagner New Reader
9/10/19 12:59 p.m.

It's been about five years now that I've had the Exocet as the focus of my available car time and it's time to move on to other projects.  I bought a blue C5Z a while back (so I could be more like JG...), and have a 94R Miata that I'm restoring and updating (but that's another story/thread).  Plus my co-wrench and co-driver added to his family and doesn't have time to play with cars anymore.  So I think it's time to sell the Exocet, and the trailer and tow van and get on to a bunch of other stuff I've been meaning to do for a long time.

There is, however, this nagging voice telling me to pull the K20 and K subframe, put the Miata subframe back in and sell the Exocet as a roller,  and hold onto the K20 for yet another Miata build.  SWMBO would frown on this.

jwagner
jwagner New Reader
9/11/19 10:19 p.m.

I was wondering why there wasn't a line forming of GRMers begging to give me their money to take this magnificent machine home with them.  Then it occurred to me - it's not a hopeless moneypit project or just plain beyond weird so it just doesn't suit the average GRMer.  There is plenty that could be done with the car and I'd like to point out some of the areas that could benefit from some additional attention:

-  The car is fast and I'm happy with the way it works, but the suspension was never actually setup.  We best guessed the VMaxx coilover settings before we installed them and never touched them again.  The alignment was a best guess from my favorite tire shop.  And I never tried the stiffer race springs.

-  There's the opportunity to add modern electronics - a fancy new digital dash, more comprehensive datalogging, cameras, a lighted hood ornament, etc..

The brakes are stock Miata as is are the pedals.  That works fine for me, but doesn't impress the folks that stop by to ask lots of questions. 

- I hear that K20s are well suited for turbocharging and this one is on E85 already... 

This type of project car presents an opportunity for never ending improvements and tweaks limited only by the depth of your bank account and garage time.  The basic platform is already there and pretty well sorted so you don't have to spend your time degreasing and media blasting and chasing parts, but like all Miatas it can be endlessly improved.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/19 10:41 p.m.

This thing must be a complete riot to drive.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/12/19 6:38 a.m.
jwagner said:

I was wondering why there wasn't a line forming of GRMers begging to give me their money to take this magnificent machine home with them. 

This looks like an awesome deal, but I bet I'm not alone in not being in a position to drop $20K on a project car that isn't street legal.

However, those of you who are should check this car out!!

jwagner
jwagner New Reader
9/12/19 10:06 a.m.
nderwater said:

This looks like an awesome deal, but I bet I'm not alone in not being in a position to drop $20K on a project car that isn't street legal.

It is titled and plated and insured by Hagerty in Wisconsin as a 1965 Lotus 7 Replica, so it is indeed street legal.  Below is the car dressed up as a 7 for the pictures I sent to the state to get the title.  (note the laser cut "7" that I bought on ebay UK. :-). As the car sits now, it's a little hardcore for everyday street use (for me anyway).  I can't speak for the street legality in other places, I know some states require full windshields.

jwagner
jwagner New Reader
9/12/19 10:08 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

You probably don't remember, but we bought the kit from FM, and your recommendation of the Porterfield R4S pads was spot on.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
9/12/19 10:47 p.m.

I really really wish I was in a position to buy this. I'm not even far away (NW Chicago suburbs). Would you take partial trade for a Triumph Tiger 1050 motorcycle?

jwagner
jwagner New Reader
9/13/19 10:28 a.m.
clutchsmoke said:

I really really wish I was in a position to buy this. I'm not even far away (NW Chicago suburbs). Would you take partial trade for a Triumph Tiger 1050 motorcycle?

Looks like a great bike, but no, I'm trying to have less toys and projects going for a while.

einy
einy HalfDork
9/13/19 11:29 a.m.

Jim ... sorry to see your car is up for sale, as you are one of the OG's that helped steer me towards the Exocet family back in the day of a zillion pages posts of that car here as well as on another applicable forum.  Good luck on your sale, but rest assured ... I won't let my wife see your posting or she might start bugging me to either do more with mine or follow your same path.  Little does she know I'm scheming on how best to add more power to mine !

John

kevinh333
kevinh333 New Reader
9/16/19 8:19 a.m.

What would you need for the car as a roller?

79rex
79rex Reader
9/17/19 7:21 a.m.

seen this car in person many times as I autox in milwaukee region.  Buyer will not be dissapointed.  awesome car

jwagner
jwagner New Reader
9/17/19 6:36 p.m.

@einy - been a while.  Good to hear that you're still in the Exocet fold.  I think we build our cars damn near in lockstep. 

@79 - thanks

@kevin - Just started to think about pulling the K20 and selling as a roller.  Not there yet as I've had a couple of people contact me that might have some interest in the car. 

jwagner
jwagner New Reader
11/26/19 6:13 a.m.

The Exocet has a new home.  The new owner seems excited and engaged, but it was very sad to see it leave home.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hUJBLAtgqBSosjEGvmZn9U0tGdCz9pkvWQcOKdl35zBqEWs0pesQjQFxuH0eF3R8