BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/20 7:07 a.m.

I'm keeping an eye on the usual places one would find these (usa7s and BaT) but given that GRMer have their ear to the ground just about everywhere, I was wondering if anybody know of any of these cars for sale within my $30k budget?

I just missed out on a Maxton - as always, it sold a couple of weeks before I was in a position to buy it. Not the first time that happened with a Maxton...

Not looking for a Locost or project though, and the vehicle must be street legal.

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/30/20 7:49 a.m.

I know where there's a Rotus hiding in a garage! 

7/30/20 7:59 a.m.

In reply to lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) :

Got your email. I'll be in touch by after work today.

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
7/30/20 1:57 p.m.

Not to threadjack, but does anybody know where I might find a cheap stalker xl? In too fat for a regular lotus.

7/30/20 2:25 p.m.

In reply to Cactus :

I'd with start keeping an eye on the for sale section at usa7s and maybe the various locost forums.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/20 2:56 p.m.

This was posted in the Enabler's Anonymous FB Group (which is mostly GRM'ers trying to Enable terrible ides for each other)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/611446346437951/

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/30/20 3:26 p.m.

Great I did not need to know that that group existed...

I'll keep my eyes out for a 7 like thing.  

7/30/20 3:32 p.m.

In reply to Stefan (Forum Supporter) :

I am not sure if I urgently need to apply to join that group, or stay away as far as possible from it. Probably both.

Just to clarify this a bit - I'm more after a "factory Se7en" than someone's homebrew new and interesting way to expire on the race track.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/20 3:50 p.m.
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Stefan (Forum Supporter) :

I am not sure if I urgently need to apply to join that group, or stay away as far as possible from it. Probably both.

Just to clarify this a bit - I'm more after a "factory Se7en" than someone's homebrew new and interesting way to expire on the race track.

So.... yes?

You're welcome to join. 

I view any hand-built vehicle as a loose collection of parts that is easier to transport in one piece to where it will be disassembled and rebuilt properly with saftey wire, locking nuts, loctite and sufficient welds where necessary.  That was certainly true for the factory-built race cars during Caroll Smith's time and it is still true today when it comes to Seven-esque rides.

BTW, someone shared a S10 bodied 427 powered Cobra Replica on the Bring a Welder FB Group.  So you know, there's another option for groups filled with GRM'er insanity....

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/845052249356033/

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
7/30/20 6:14 p.m.

There's a turbo Caterham S3 near me for 20k

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/717321002391505/

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/20 6:30 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) :

There's a Rollerskate for sale in the back of this month's Classic Motorsport. I'll take a pic when I get a minute. 

7/30/20 6:37 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Oops. I hadn't looked at the classifieds in the mag, because who would advertise a car a reader would want in there?

7/30/20 7:21 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Took me a while to find the issue, need to get organised...

Guess what, the car in the ad is the one that got away that I mentioned in my first post.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/20 7:25 p.m.

Under $30k is pushing it for a real Cat, I think. Although that turbo Miata powered one for $20k seems like it's trying to prove me wrong. It may be the off-brand engine. If it's a real Caterham, I'd be all over that even if turbos don't suit this sort of car.

7/30/20 7:40 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I am currently regretting not buying a Zetec-powered one for $25k a few years ago. That said, you can find them from time to time within that price range, especially if you don't mind one with a Ford Crossflow. Birkins do seem to be more realistic in that price range tho', and Maxtons - if you can find one - are still sub-$20k.

Keith Tanner
7/30/20 8:33 p.m.

The Caterhams definitely command a premium.

7/31/20 9:33 a.m.

In reply to Brotus7 :

That definitely looks like a weapons-grade Caterham. Unfortunately not registerable in WV as is as it'll fail inspection. I'll have a look how much effort it would be as it at least needs windshield wipers.

7/31/20 9:34 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The Caterhams definitely command a premium.

They do. I think they're also the easy button as they probably have the most established spares supply.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/31/20 9:47 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) :

make a quick clamp on wiper motor and arm from a jeep assembly that works enough to pass inspection and then pops off?  Looks like a hell of a lot of car for the money

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/31/20 9:50 a.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/31/20 10:15 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

They even have a no drill clamp mount for $9

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_model_t/model-t-ford-windshield-wiper-clamp-for-a17655ar-hand-wiper.html?crosssell=Product_Related

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/31/20 10:23 a.m.

Damn! Almost couldn't make it for that!

Boxheadtim: what other unquestionably legal solutions do you need for a boosted caterham?

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
7/31/20 11:27 a.m.
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Brotus7 :

That definitely looks like a weapons-grade Caterham. Unfortunately not registerable in WV as is as it'll fail inspection. I'll have a look how much effort it would be as it at least needs windshield wipers.

It has holes in the cowl for wipers, and the factory wipers look like a ripoff of an MGB/Midget wiper setup.

This is '94 on, https://caterhamparts.co.uk/wiper-parts/693-wiper-assembly-lhd-1994-onwards.html but gives an idea.

Keith Tanner
7/31/20 11:35 a.m.

I wouldn't say "ripoff", that's the standard British Car wiper setup. It's a very flexible design.

slowpoke30
slowpoke30
8/12/20 8:00 p.m.

Sorry for the delay in responding - issues with both my GRM and Facebook logins.  I'm aware of three Rollerskate transactions in the last year, all likely in the $15-$18k range.  One of those was my purchase last November.  As a rotary and sports car fan, I've followed Maxtons since their debut on Motorweek back in 1991 and actively considering a purchase for quite a while before #16 became available from the original owner.  It's tiny, uncomfortable, loud and requires a lot of attention.  It's also quick, super-fun to drive, unique and a real looker.  I love it.

# 43 (12A/long wheelbase) has been available for a while and it looks like the owner is serious about a sale, as he has dropped the price to $13.5.  I have some information about the car that I can share privately with anyone seriously considering.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/maxtonrollerskate/permalink/1730980510392528/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UdT9Ae8WGkAOJMRFNa2AtsL3QQ7QmatxYdm6cfTwOfU2Eh831PBzgqug65zkpooX