chandler UltimaDork
5/20/22 5:49 p.m.

My old 128i is for sale at copart Ft Wayne, be fun to watch

2010 BMW 128i

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/22 6:35 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

If you only knew how hard I resisted asking you about a buy back on it.  Now you gotta throw it in my face again.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/20/22 6:40 p.m.

That little bump on the rear is all that caused it to be totalled?  Did I miss something major in the thread talking about it being hit?

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/20/22 6:55 p.m.

I hate seeing it there. :(

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
5/20/22 7:34 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

That little bump on the rear is all that caused it to be totalled?  Did I miss something major in the thread talking about it being hit?

Yeah, I think the real issue is that body shops are all backed up and parts availability is non-existent so if it's close to value they just choose to total them. The trunk floor is buckled but as you can see from those pics I looked a long time to find the right car and it's still the right car for someone else.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
5/20/22 7:36 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to chandler :

If you only knew how hard I resisted asking you about a buy back on it.  Now you gotta throw it in my face again.

The buy back was 3600, I paid $6000 for it and they gave me $1500 more than they are listing the value at there. I walked away happy; sad that it happened but they made it whole.

Stampie
5/20/22 8:18 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

You're evil.  I would have paid the $3600 plus diner/liquor/hug that you needed. 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
5/20/22 10:23 p.m.

I'm watching the auction to see if I can buy it back cheaper; I let it go because I have to many cars as it is and most of them need work. Purposefully buying one needing that amount of work is pretty silly at this point.

papamilad
papamilad New Reader
5/21/22 4:26 p.m.

Oh I'm totally bidding on this, been wanting a track beater

Stampie
5/21/22 7:23 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

How do you feel about papamilad beating on your beloved car?  Next time you'll say hey Stampie do you want the buy back on my car?

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
5/21/22 8:07 p.m.

Lol, I'm ok with either! 

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
5/22/22 12:40 p.m.

Ooooh this are such fun cars. Perfect size IMO

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/22 3:48 p.m.

I bet that thing brings $5k at auction.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
5/23/22 10:17 a.m.

That seems like it wouldn't be hard to put back together; with the exception of the trunk floor, it looks like it's all just bolt-on stuff. If someone turns this into a full-blown track rat, the sport seats are worth some money to offset build costs.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/26/22 10:50 p.m.

Oh gracious that's beautiful. 11 hours left at $70? I assume it's like eBay with the snipers at the end?

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/26/22 10:58 p.m.

Did you happen to get a preliminary estimate to repair it? I'm curious how high it was

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
5/27/22 7:28 a.m.

Not sure how that works but I've been told there are some pretty good bids on it. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/27/22 9:24 a.m.

36 minutes to go and the pre-bid is now $1,500.

I don't have a Copart account so I wont be able to watch the bidding live

https://www.copart.com/lot/43569522/salvage-2010-bmw-128-i-in-fort-wayne

Pre-bidding will end at 10am eastern.  Then, this is car A26 so expect that about 15-30 minutes after 10am this exact car will come across the block for live bidding.  I expect that in the next 36 minutes, this car will end pre-bidding with a $3,200 price and then when it come across the block the sale will end at $4,900

This is proxy bidding so it could be that the $1500 current bid really has in a $3,900 max bid.  He will not have to spend more than $1,500 until someone else bids more than $1,500.  If the next guy puts in a max bid of $2000 then the current $1,500 guy will automatically go up to $2,100 of his $3,900 max.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/27/22 10:26 a.m.

Holy hell, was I wrong! 

Also wrong that I can see it live with a dead account... 

$1,750 to Indiana. Ended wit the word sold not "on approval" which means reserve not met. 

Looks like it really sold for $1750

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
5/27/22 10:27 a.m.

FYI, you can watch the auctions live with a free account.

$1,750 final sale price.  I didn't do the math on the fees, but that seems like a steal to me!

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
5/27/22 10:31 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

It was a "pure sale" which means no reserve on copart.

eedavis
eedavis GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/27/22 10:45 a.m.

related and sort of on-topic, is there a way to see sales prices for cars you've "watched" on CoPart.com? The only way I've been able to see what things sold for is to watch the auction live

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
5/27/22 11:24 a.m.

Sheesh, they should have just let me buy it for less; saved them the money shipping it and selling it. Someone got a heckuva car for that $.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/27/22 11:45 a.m.

It's been my experience that the price offered to the owner to keep the car is not near the insurance company's min price but much more like their max price. The max they hope to get from the hulk. 

After all, the current owner is likely the buyer who will pay the most since the owner has inside knowledge and history.

My challenge Q45 was totaled for hail damage. I told the owner to get a price from insurance and I'd even be willing to pay him more (if that price remained under $2k)

He was paid out $5125 but then told it would cost him $2,800 to keep the car (too high for challenge budget.) so, he took the $5125. 

At auction I had the highest bid at $500 but that didn't meet reserve so State Farm counter offered $900 and I said yes. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/27/22 2:34 p.m.

I don't know the fee structure for Copart but over at IAA, they have a calculator that totals up bid plus fees.

At IAA, a $1,750 bid for me, a non-dealer, the grand total is $2,328  Since there is only two companies in this game, Copart and IAA, my guess is their final costs come out to be similar.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1B8vIZZmaDYUxW1jugnwYgUxLhtPFUg4HPplFHgOfecqNp08NAR18T4vFLBfqbFc