12/18/19 6:57 a.m.
Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso Dork
12/18/19 7:07 a.m.

This confuses me. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/19 8:30 a.m.

I bet if you airbrushed an underhood mural on it they’d still let you into the Vette meets. 

slowbird
slowbird Dork
12/18/19 10:37 a.m.

Now swap a Ford V10 into it for the ultimate in WTF.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/19 1:48 p.m.

As far as knockoffs go, it's not horrible.  If you drop the front and fix the front bumper wheel openings that do not appear to flow with the clamshell you'll fool a lot of people at 60mph.  

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
12/18/19 2:10 p.m.

Can someone post a picture here? The link doesn't want to open for me and I'm dying of curiousity. 

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/19 3:39 p.m.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
12/18/19 4:36 p.m.

It's like there's something slightly wrong with everything going on there.  Some things are kind of easy to spot and describe, like the negative rake to the whole vehicle, but other things are not so easy to describe.  Like, how are the tail lights and such just not... done right?  

Interesting effort, I'll give the builder that.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/18/19 8:58 p.m.

Right. The front end has started looking like a Cavalier the more I stare at it. At first blush though the back half looks fine. I'm just not sure what happened up front. 

Foodeater
Foodeater New Reader
12/18/19 9:30 p.m.

The whole front look like its angled up about 10-15 degrees too high. The front bumper is so far above the height of the side skirts. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/18/19 10:26 p.m.

It looks like two drunk guys bashed it together in a shed in a weekend, but so does a 1st gen Viper. I looked at pics of a 1st gen and it looks about right. If you look at the details of it, they start to look wrong, but then look at the real Viper pics and so does it. The fit and finish is even worse but as has been said it's gonna pass muster at any speed over parking and even then for most people.

ronholm
ronholm Dork
12/18/19 10:47 p.m.
dculberson said:

It looks like two drunk guys bashed it together in a shed in a weekend, but so does a 1st gen Viper. I looked at pics of a 1st gen and it looks about right. If you look at the details of it, they start to look wrong, but then look at the real Viper pics and so does it. The fit and finish is even worse but as has been said it's gonna pass muster at any speed over parking and even then for most people.

I would bet many if not most of those panels are viper pieces...   Or at least started out that way.  Seriously, it doesn't fit together that much worse than a 1st gen viper anyway.  

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/19/19 5:52 a.m.

Years ago I heard that the clamshell hood was more expensive than the engine. I guess that’s not too far fetched since it is just a truck engine at heart

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/19/19 10:19 a.m.

This thing passed through here a while ago, too.  I'll ask the same question I did then:

For what this must have cost to build, why not just buy a first-gen Viper and have the real thing?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
12/19/19 12:22 p.m.
ronholm said:
dculberson said:

I would bet many if not most of those panels are viper pieces...   Or at least started out that way.  Seriously, it doesn't fit together that much worse than a 1st gen viper anyway.  

Not a single panel on that came from a OEM Viper. Now the taillights and wheels look right but how they got them to bolt up baffles me. I thought most vipers are 6 lug. 

Also the first vipers at least the concepts were basically put together in a shed after work so same ethos just less money and skill here. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
12/19/19 12:25 p.m.

Vipers are 6 lug, I had them on my Dakota lol. It's close but just not right.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
12/22/19 9:18 a.m.

I'm embarrassed to say that I would probably have thought it was a viper if I walked by. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/22/19 10:32 a.m.

Why are the outside rear view mirrors so flawed?  Seems that given all the fab done elsewhere, they could have chosen mirrors or a way to mount the mirrors that would have been more level and more correct.  

This leaves it with an '80's look of mounting mirrors bought from the JCWhitney catalog.  

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
12/22/19 12:12 p.m.

I've seen a couple of these kits in person and they both had that "nose too high" look to them. Some of the proportions look odd because the nose is shorter than a real viper.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/23/19 8:52 a.m.

That Vette interoir was used 84-90, so I would assume an earlier chassis and engine than the 1996 adveristed. 

StuntmanMike
StuntmanMike New Reader
12/24/19 9:09 p.m.

Looks like a Geo wide body. I'd have more respect for it as a beat up c4 track car.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/25/19 3:30 p.m.

The mirrors look like Baby Yoda ears.

Hmm... so do the eyes/ headlights.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/29/19 7:14 a.m.

Looks like what a production company would throw together for the final scene instead of blowing up the hero car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WxNCFc3YbOUh3nAyHxGtIwERBzoq09hfO9jwbqSJIFBA8euJAcvtMj7Tk0ondFP5