Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/20 12:44 p.m.

That's rad as berk.  Would be a perfect home for the vh45 from rusty

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
6/13/20 12:53 p.m.

Shouldn't you buy it first before posting about it?cheeky

damage in the rear? Strange, I don't see any. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
6/13/20 1:10 p.m.

That thing is sweet. Hopefully an enthusiast saves it. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/13/20 1:10 p.m.

that passenger fender damage is likely why its in there

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
6/13/20 1:15 p.m.

When I was in high school, there was one of these left at the school by an auto shop student that had graduated and moved on. We tried like hell to buy it, but the school wouldn't let us. We came back from Christmas break and it had been hauled off for scrap. It was a manual, with the VG30 in it. Drifting had *just* become a thing and we were going to build a drift car out of it.

Good times.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
6/13/20 1:19 p.m.

I had an '85.  If you want this Star Wars gen this is the one you want.  With the heavy glass hatch there was a lot of rear ended squat.  Still a cool RWD car.  

V6, stick, 5 lug wheels.  Lots of digital dash.  If door cards at the top is good then the interior is.  

steamcorners
steamcorners Reader
6/13/20 8:26 p.m.

I'm going to regret asking this, I'm sure - though I'm likely to make a boat payment or three for a divorce attorney - but how hard is it to buy a car through this auction from out of state? Any gotchas? Any huge fees atop the winning bid price?

For reference, I'm in Columbus, Ohio - so I'm about 3 hours away. Not quite close enough to run over and check on it, but certainly within the "rent U-Haul trailer and pray" range.

Sucker for the S12, especially the short-lived V6 version.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
6/13/20 10:28 p.m.

Paging John Welsh to the courtesy phone....

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
6/14/20 8:21 a.m.
steamcorners said:

I'm going to regret asking this, I'm sure - though I'm likely to make a boat payment or three for a divorce attorney - but how hard is it to buy a car through this auction from out of state? Any gotchas? Any huge fees atop the winning bid price?

Good Morning. 

How to buy from IAA:  This 200sx is offered to public buyers that means there are two ways.  One, you can pay the $200 to be a "public buyer" for a year.  Secondly, you can buy through a broker.  

I am a public buyer.  I have never used a broker.  IAA charges more in fees for public buyers.  If through a broker then that broker is going to pay IAA less than you would as "public" but then charge you.  In short, it seems to me that as "public" IAA just makes themselves the broker. 

Gotchas and Fees:  Yes, there are many.  Cars must be paid for, in full, via wire transfer or certified check in 2 business days, or additional fees.  Cars must be removed the lot in 4 business days or fees.  8a-4p hours, Mon-Fri.  NO WEEKENDS.  

Everything has fees.  Attached are two pictures of the fees for Public Buyer and Non-Public Buyers (dealer)  

Pay attention to every line, even the fine print because every line is more fees. These pictures might me slightly outdated but they are relevant enough to get you within $100. 

When I log into my account, I can just click on the "calculator" and it will total the fees.  When I put a sample bid number this is what is returned... 

COST BREAKDOWN
  • Bid Amount$775.00
  •  
  • Public Buyer Fee$250.00
  •  
  • Internet Bid Fee$39.00
  •  
  • Service Fee$59.00
  •  
  • Sales Tax$78.61
  •  
  • $1,201.61

COST BREAKDOWN
  • Bid Amount$1,275.00
  •  
  • Public Buyer Fee$370.00
  •  
  • Internet Bid Fee$59.00
  •  
  • Service Fee$59.00
  •  
  • Sales Tax$123.41
  •  $1886.41

COST BREAKDOWN
  • Bid Amount$2,475.00
  •  
  • Public Buyer Fee$490.00
  •  
  • Internet Bid Fee$79.00
  •  
  • Service Fee$59.00
  •  
  • Sales Tax$217.21
  •  
  • $3320.21

If you set up a buyers account, expect that it might take 2 business days so do not set it up the day of the auction which is Weds morning so that means 2 business days away.  

You can inspect the car the day before but you have to have a valid buyers account to do so.  This means no-see-em until you pay $200.  Inspection is 9a-3p only on the day before.  You can bring a jump box and a code reader (not needed for this ole 200sx) but NO TOOLS ALLOWED and they are strict on that.  Mostly to cut down on people sabotaging the cars.  

I can be reached directly...jwelsh02...yahoo

steamcorners
steamcorners Reader
6/14/20 12:50 p.m.

Thanks for the info. The "no weekends" thing kills this deal for me, as I'm FINALLY headed back to the office for the first time in 3 months tomorrow. Gonna have to pass.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
6/14/20 2:00 p.m.
steamcorners said:

Thanks for the info. The "no weekends" thing kills this deal for me, as I'm FINALLY headed back to the office for the first time in 3 months tomorrow. Gonna have to pass.

You're more than welcome to have it towed here to my house and I can store it for you until you make it over here to pick it up yes

6/17/20 7:43 a.m.

I've kept an eye on this one.  Today is the auction and pre-bidding has now ended at $700

My numbers posted above had some logic. 

• #1 being what I thought would be a reasonable price. 
  • #2 being how high you could go, leaving slight room to make this a Challenge car
  • #3 being where this might go if things go crazy.  

Things I see that give me pause...

This car is listed as "other" loss type.  This would typically be "collision" in most of these auctions.  The hit on the fender is high.  I think something dropped down on the car.  Often these are tree branches.  The damage is listed as rear which seems odd but when I really zoomed the pics, there is some rear damage at the top of the hatch window.  Further, what I realize is that this car used to have rear louvers (how '80s cool.)  My guess is the louvers are gone forever as they do not seem to be stored in the hatch area.  If you watch the 360 video they have listed you can see the dirt lines on the rear window that likely formed over the years of the louvers keeping water off the whole window.  

Speaking of dirt, the underhood picture gives me pause.  The engine is very dirty and generally neglected.  This tells me this is not someones pride and joy taken only out on sunny days to shows, etc.  Further more, the car is listed as "stationary" not "starts" or "run and drive".  This means the car did not start with the help of a jump pack when it arrived at the yard.  

My deduction is that this car is part of a building damage claim.  I don't think the car has been sitting outside but I think it has been sitting inside.  I think a beam fell or storm damage to building has caused this car that hasn't run in years to be an insurance claim.  

So, my caution is this car is likely a major project.  Wont just be a turn of the key and go.  

But, would be cool with a 4.5L V8 added devil

I'll try to log in to IAA before this auction ends and see if I can see how high it sold for. 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
6/17/20 7:53 a.m.
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:....

I'll try to log in to IAA before this auction ends and see if I can see how high it sold for. 

If you log in, let me know what that XJR goes for, so I can kick myself for not jumping on it.

6/17/20 8:05 a.m.

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

I already had that planned.  

The Jag was at $1,275 for prebid so that means $1886 out of pocket already.  And, that is before repairs.  You have done better than this before!  

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/20 8:08 a.m.

Yeah I'm curious to know where the 200sx ends up. 

6/17/20 11:01 a.m.

Nissan sold at $900 -> $1,293

6/17/20 11:02 a.m.

Jag sold on $1375 bid that will put it just over $2k. My guess is it still needs a minimum of $800 parts. Even more if you want it "done right" 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
6/17/20 11:21 a.m.

The car looked better without louvers.   

the hatch is heavy and I'm sure the struts are shot.  I did however transport a lot of big stuff in mine.  

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
6/17/20 2:24 p.m.

I test drove one when they were new.  It was underwhelming.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/21/20 9:29 p.m.

Learned to drive on an 86 silver one that my parents bought new. Nissan was all about the buttons in the 80s and early 90s. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qXuLLmnaIBGSbBcS938u3UeWkfWcnFJLpb5OMiViZbQ4C31ToO2kJXB0MybJk8bK