Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/18/22 1:03 p.m.

I've decided that this isn't the trailer for me. It's a bit bigger and heavier than I need, and is a pain for me to store.

Located in Chicago southern suburbs, $1200 asking, plan to ask $1500 on FB marketplace if it doesn't sell here first.

Dual 3.5k axles, one of which has brakes. Wheel beds are 14 ft long, 2 ft wide each, and there's 77 inches in between the fenders. I assume the weight of this trailer is between 1500-2000 lbs, which means you can haul a 5000lb vehicle. 

It has been sitting a long time before I got it last summer, and while the tires look ok, I'd assume they are too old to do much with. Also, I'm betting the lights and brakes will take some fiddling to get working. It was separately wired for a winch and has a plate for one, but no winch exists. The uni-strut tire rack on the front is currently unbolted but it can go with the trailer.

Clean title in my name. Let me know if you're interested.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/18/22 3:27 p.m.

That is a smoking deal for a trailer with a title.  

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/18/22 5:56 p.m.

I'm interested, but as always, there are some caveats.

1. Price is not one of them. Very fair price. Done and done.

2. I must put new bearings on the truck, and do the disc brake conversion before doing such a trip. Can you hold on to it for a short while? 

3. If #2 is a yes, GRM relay, anyone? East TN to Chicago and back.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/18/22 6:12 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) :

I can tow from Chicago Heights, IL to Lockport, IL.  Oh wait, we're heading the wrong way.

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
5/18/22 6:51 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

I appreciate you towing it to my storage, but I already have a trailer.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
5/18/22 7:45 p.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) said:

2. I must put new bearings on the truck, and do the disc brake conversion before doing such a trip. Can you hold on to it for a short while? 

I don't mind holding it for a short while.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
5/18/22 8:06 p.m.

You know me and my car habit...I could probably use a trailer, LOL.

5/18/22 8:42 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

I don't mind holding it for a short while.

Robbie, as always, you are the man. I'll take it, we'll work something out. Thank You.

To be clear, I plan to come up to you to retrieve the trailer, I was suggesting that I could haul stuff for other people (empty 3/4 ton truck, empty trailer).

I'll hop on getting the truck in order, and let you know when I can get up there. I won't take advantage of your kindness.

Tires: are they cracked and dry rotting? In your professional opinion, do they have a chance of making it 600 miles? I don't mind some risk.  Bolt pattern? Wheel & tire size?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
5/18/22 11:05 p.m.

Tires are all matching Goodyear trailer specific tires. 205/75 15. I can't quickly find a date code but they have plenty of tread and aren't cracked or seemingly dry rotted. I wouldn't be too worried about 600 miles unloaded, or I might even consider loaded if I wasn't pressed for time. Especially with 4, there's sorta built in redundancy.

According to the ole close one eye and use a measuring tape trick, these are 5*4.5 wheels, which I am confident in because that's a very common trailer axle to my knowledge. 

The wheels were chrome once, and probably looked pretty good back then. They have significant surface rust now, I think the pictured one is worst.

5/19/22 6:32 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Excellent. PM attempted

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
5/19/22 9:06 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Excellent. PM attempted

got it and returned

128racecar
128racecar Reader
5/19/22 12:55 p.m.

For some reason, almost every tire on every car and trailer I own, the date code is on the inner side of the tire. There must be some reason tire stores mount them that way, as most of the tires are symmetrical tread pattern, and aren't marked inside and outside for mounting. My R888r race tires are marked inside and outside, and the date code is on the inside marked sidewall. 

MiniDave
MiniDave New Reader
5/19/22 10:58 p.m.

The company that made this belonged to a friend of mine, who is still active in vintage racing!

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
5/25/22 1:00 p.m.
MiniDave said:

The company that made this belonged to a friend of mine, who is still active in vintage racing!

Hey - I got your PM and responded last week, I would love to hear from him. Let me know if you didn't get my response. 

MiniDave
MiniDave New Reader
6/11/22 10:50 p.m.

Sorry, I did and forwarded the info to Clancy, but he's been traveling non-stop lately. He's home tomorrow, I'll give him a call.....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GhJ0dWL4vLL8UPjMa8WXXC0hEY7f7qlUW9gOTlvGpDXQiznJG2wtqq77atnufitB