JShaawbaru
JShaawbaru Reader
6/12/22 6:56 p.m.

SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD

As you may remember from this thread, I bought a GMC Yukon XL Denali from California a month and a bit ago, and then drove it home a couple weeks ago, towing a Honda Element, and packed full of my girlfriend's stuff. The trip went flawlessly, and after weeks of having no time, I finally cleaned it up and took some pictures. It's finally for sale, and you can find the details in the link below.

Link to Facebook for sale ad

Asking $8000 in the listing, but there's at least a bit of anti-lowball markup built in, so there's probably a decent GRM discount waiting for anyone here that's interested.

Located in Waterford, MI, 48327.

Forum PM should work, but post here if you send one just in case, if people are having issues I'll post my email in a non robot readable manner. Obviously you could also just Facebook message me if you have an account.

Also selling the 1998 Jaguar XJR that I bought from Indy - Guy a while back, if anyone's crazy enough to buy both of them, there may be some kind of extra discount available.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/12/22 9:17 p.m.

Some criticism...  I don't think there is enough reference to California in your FB posting.

I would open up with. 

Bought just this April in California with the intention of using this rig to tow for my move across country back to Michigan.  My plan was to find the best maintained example for a trouble free trip and selling when I arrived.  Trip is complete and was 100% trouble free.  Get a rust free California truck now in Michigan for cheaper than what it would cost you to ship the same truck cross-country.

Add some pictures of the truck with California plates.  If you have a picture towing, add that too.  Remember, we liked the California seller because the story jived.  He said he was selling it due to bigger camper and sure enough, he had a bigger camper.  Pictures of truck in California or pictures driving cross country will authenticate your story.  

Actually, you're not asking enough.  I think you could go to $9k or maybe just hold firm at $8k.  How has FB traffic been?  Lots of inquiries? 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
6/13/22 1:53 p.m.

Having owned an 04 Suburban for a few years I have to say these rigs are awesome!! The best seats I've ever had!! If mine hadn't had so many A/C problems and HVAC problems I'd probably still have it. Mine was a 2wd with the 5.3 and that drive train was awesome. This should be pre-DoD so in my opinion much better. Wish I was in the market. These Denali trim ones are super plush.

JShaawbaru
JShaawbaru Reader
6/13/22 2:14 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Add some pictures of the truck with California plates.  If you have a picture towing, add that too.  Remember, we liked the California seller because the story jived.  He said he was selling it due to bigger camper and sure enough, he had a bigger camper.  Pictures of truck in California or pictures driving cross country will authenticate your story.  

Actually, you're not asking enough.  I think you could go to $9k or maybe just hold firm at $8k.  How has FB traffic been?  Lots of inquiries? 

That wouldn't be a bad idea. The only pictures I have with the California plates are from the old ad, and I think I only have one picture slot left, but maybe there are 2 or 3?

Apparently there isn't a huge market for the Yukon here, espeically with how high gas prices have gone (Michigan is apparently 9th highest in the country now), or people here don't think it's priced too low, because so far zero people have responded. The ad has been up for less than 24 hours though, so we'll see.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
6/13/22 2:19 p.m.

Ergh. I will tentatively run it by the wife. I am selling my Camaro anyway, if I also sold the Expedition this could be a good replacement for the pair. Better radio, AWD/tires, 40k fewer miles, and heated seats..

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/13/22 2:41 p.m.

Add this picture from this thread

JShaawbaru
JShaawbaru Reader
6/13/22 2:46 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Good point, I do have that one. I've added it along with one of the many pictures I took when parked at hotels/gas stations on the way back, while towing the Element.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/13/22 2:53 p.m.

Spectacular!  

Now one more change...

See that green bar that says your truck is worth $3,519-$6,934 and you're off the chart at $8,000?

That is because you have listed the truck as "good condition".  Change it to "excellent condition" and the pricing green bar will increase.  Don't feel like you are fluffing.  Your truck is in far better condition that any other Michigan Denali.  And, what is wrong (if anything in the future) can be fixed with a wrench rather than rust repair.  

JShaawbaru
JShaawbaru Reader
6/13/22 3:04 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

It may be in better condition than good, but I don't feel right listing it in excellent condition without what I feel would be a waste of people's time by overselling what it is. I did bump it up to very good though, which I feel is more accurate, so now it's only about $100 over what KBB says is the right price for one in that condition.

I didn't even realize the KBB thing had updated, since when I started making the ad, it was already showing $9000 being low end before I even chose a condition. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/13/22 3:08 p.m.

You're too modest.  After all, this rig was just road tested for 2,500 generally hard miles and needed/needs nothing!  

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/13/22 3:13 p.m.

I agree with John. That Denali is in phenomenal shape for its age,especially for the market that you drove it back to.  You really need to hammer home the lack of rust, that rust belt arbitrage is where that extra money is going.  I would also consider that pretty low miles for one of those truck, anything under 150k and I worry it hasn't been driven enough.  Also, that is not a common color on those trucks, they are normally white (like mine), black or maroon.

JShaawbaru
JShaawbaru Reader
6/13/22 3:23 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Technically, it needs an oil pressure sensor/sender (gauge pegged at 80PSI), and a new driver door control switch assembly, or at least the parts that control the windows and mirror adjustment, since the mirror switch doesn't allow driver side mirror adjustment (actually quite annoying because the center position folds the mirrors, so you end up folding the mirrors while trying to adjust), and the driver side switch for the front passenger window only works when you hold it a certain way (which seems to be common since my Silverado does the same thing.

Headliner is also sagging along the edges, though not as bad as many, and until/unless I re-install the DVD player, there's a hole in the headliner from that.

Maybe I'm overly picky, but as good as it is, there are still issues that would prevent me from seeing it as excellent, and I wouldn't appreciate showing up to look at a car and finding it's not what I thought (which happened with half the vehicles I looked at on this endeavor). Especially with the limited time I have for showings with my current work schedule (second shift, 10 hours a day minimum, and usually weekends, honestly not even sure when anyone's going to be able to look at this thing), I don't want to waste anyone's time, or waste my own time overselling it.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
6/13/22 3:42 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Add this picture from this thread

Is this a Root Beer brown Element SC? If so I love that color, and spec. Manual transmission perhaps? 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/13/22 3:45 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

Or purple (inside joke)

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/13/22 3:45 p.m.

Oil pressure $30-$40 part

ALL NEW window/mirror switches $200 ish. Used would be sub $50 at you-pull-it

JShaawbaru
JShaawbaru Reader
6/13/22 3:54 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Yeah, my original plan was to replace it when I got home, so it was a non-issue. I just don't have time anymore, with everything I have going on right now. I wasn't going to mess with the switches though, because I have a bad track record with breaking interior parts, and that would be worse than a couple wonky switches. The whole time things is another reason I'm not fighting for a big profit on this sale either, because right now my main goal is just to uncrowd my driveway and be able to check something off my list, and get some money back in my pocket.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

Yep, that was the car that we found for my girlfriend while we were still in California, and towed it home to be her daily driver. It's not manual, but it is a root beer SC.

It still does look purple sometimes, though.

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
6/14/22 8:10 a.m.

The gauge is less likely to be the pressure switch (which requires intake manifold removal to replace) and more likely to be the stepper motor on that gauge has failed, as is common.  Gauge cluster rebuilds are just par for the course on these.  

da_johnny_boy
da_johnny_boy New Reader
6/23/22 8:20 p.m.

I'm interested in it, I am looking for something to tow my miata to the track. Willing to share the GRM price? Let me know if you rather PM or I can FB message through your marketplace post.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/23/22 8:47 p.m.

In reply to da_johnny_boy :

JShaw, the seller, works some heavy hours.  You'd probably be best off to contact his via both methods.  I'm still amazed that this was not gone before Father's Day.  But, with his odd second shift schedule, I'll bet he's having trouble making time for showings.  

JShaawbaru
JShaawbaru Reader
6/23/22 8:49 p.m.

In reply to da_johnny_boy :

Go ahead and send me a message through the FB ad. I never really had a concrete GRM price in my mind, but $1000 off the Facebook price is probably in the ballpark. Some may say that sets the price too low still, but due to lack of interest, I would rather get less money for it than have it sit in my driveway for months.

In reply to John Welsh :

I wish that was true, but it seems like there's very little demand right now for a big SUV, rust-free or not. I even saw one listed locally for a mere $5900 that seemed to be in similar condition to mine (not 100% rust free underneath, I'm sure though). It had no description though, and I don't recall the mileage, so it could have been a nice-looking vehicle with issues and higher mileage that made the lower price make sense.

JShaawbaru
JShaawbaru Reader
6/25/22 1:17 p.m.

SOLD! da_johnny_boy just drove it away. 

Got less than I was hoping for originally, but still a price that covers the purchase price, registration, and a little bit of the fuel it took to get it here. 

Way better deal than renting a Uhaul truck. Much more comfortable too. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/25/22 1:50 p.m.

Win-win for all.  I had forwarded your truck to a few people in my area (which is just a couple of hours from your area.)  I thought it was a killer deal, if shopping for a Suburban/Yukon.  Far better than anything to be found locally.  

How has the Honda Element been?  

JShaawbaru
JShaawbaru Reader
6/25/22 2:16 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Element hasn't been driven much yet, but the driver side window just fell inside the door while it was sitting in the driveway, I think on Monday, so that's fun. Haven't had time to look at it yet, but that's on the list for this weekend. Probably tomorrow since I'll be working from home the rest of the day. 

da_johnny_boy
da_johnny_boy New Reader
6/25/22 2:16 p.m.

I look forward to seeing how it tows my Malibu home on a U-Haul trailer and my Miata next week to a track day! Got a couple things to fix as noted in the ad but it was in good condition as described with no rust!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8MEkuk3XWo4OITRv2iztN2SRXJd31U0QuENXZgS3MMu7flpRMUfv69btbhm2Ka8w