1 2
eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
2/21/22 12:04 p.m.

Looking for a mid-sized or full size 4WD SUV for towing and camping.  Budget is sub-$9K (preferably way lower).  Anyone getting rid of something.  Would prefer 2006-older Tahoe or Yukon, but am open to other possibilities.  In the next week, I'll be going through KY, TN, GA, and FL, so could test drive and make a deal, and come back for the vehicle within a few weeks.  Might be willing to go a bit farther afield for a really good deal.

I'd like something that is not too rusty, and is in reasonably good mechanical shape, so I am not immediately having to do maintenance beyond fluid changes before I start using it.

wae
wae PowerDork
2/21/22 1:08 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

How about a nice DIY SUV kit?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
2/21/22 1:09 p.m.
wae said:

How about a nice DIY SUV kit?

I think that is more of a DIY SUV kit from hell.

billstewartx
billstewartx Reader
2/21/22 6:51 p.m.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
3/21/22 7:23 p.m.

Did you ever find something?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/21/22 7:29 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Not yet.  Keeping an eye out for a good deal, though.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
3/21/22 11:11 p.m.

If you want, I'll let you know about my 04 Yukon Denali I got from a GRM member when I make the decision about its future.  6.0LS, AWD, Denali interior in clean and servicable shape.  Pretty nice compared to most GMs in this age/mileage range. 220k ish miles.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
3/21/22 11:13 p.m.

It's been in the south all or most of its life, drivers seat is missing some functions and there is an oil leak that I believe is the valley something that's prone to leak, haven't fooled with it yet.  Currently in Southern Illinois 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/22/22 7:35 a.m.

While I'd prefer 4WD over AWD, sure, please let me know, just in case

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
3/22/22 3:03 p.m.

I have one, it's twice the money though. 2018 F150 4x4 crew cab short bed, 5.0 10 spd. 160,000 miles - all my miles. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/22/22 5:42 p.m.
chandler said:

I have one, it's twice the money though. 2018 F150 4x4 crew cab short bed, 5.0 10 spd. 160,000 miles - all my miles. 

Sounds nice, but the short bed would kill it for me.  No room to sleep in it comfortably.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
3/23/22 7:06 a.m.

Yeah, understood

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
3/23/22 8:58 a.m.

I had a 2nd Gen Dodge Durango 5.8 v8 Hemi, I towed a couple cars no problem. I see them on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace for $3-4K. They can be pretty rusted.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
3/23/22 5:30 p.m.

This is mine, can tow a lot, and has an 8ft bed and a back seat you can nearly sleep in too.  That said, I'm telling you not to buy it- it has been an annoying ownership experience for me.  But it's there if you're interested.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/23/22 5:54 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

I think I've read too much of your thread to want to touch it with a ten foot pole smiley

My hope is something a smaller anyway.  I've owned a 20ft long truck before, and really don't want something that large or bigger, thus the interest in a Yukahoe.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
3/23/22 8:07 p.m.

I'll keep an eye out for something suitable then!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/24/22 10:45 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Thanks.  I think I'm giving up on at least the first half of the rallycross season, as I don't want to rush into buying a tow vehicle in desperation, would rather be able to take my time to look for the right vehicle, which is more difficult living in the rust belt.  

wae
wae PowerDork
3/24/22 10:57 a.m.

Maybe we need a two-car trailer.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/24/22 11:32 a.m.
wae said:

Maybe we need a two-car trailer.

That won't cause problems later.  I think the last thing you or I need is something to make it even easier to pick up non running projects smiley  But I mean if you really want to, Patrick is selling that enclosed trailer.  You could convert it into a toy hauler RV, too.

I'll still run up to a rallycross, but just to spectate.  Not going to spend 3 hours driving the Beetle there, racing it, and back with no AC.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/24/22 1:43 p.m.
eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/24/22 2:55 p.m.

In reply to hobiercr :

I should have checked out a 2006 Tahoe near where I was staying a few weeks ago in Florida, but never got around to it.  Had bad paint, but otherwise looked good.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/26/22 4:10 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

You seemed pretty stoked when your boy got it, what happened?

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
3/26/22 8:47 p.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

He just took his test in it.  It's mine and I love it but I feel the need, the need for speed and better gas mileage.   I want to keep it, I should keep it, I have miataitis

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/22 8:58 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

If Tim passes and if other things don't work out then maybe a trade could be made for someone that wants a Miata.  I only have four in my driveway.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
3/31/22 12:08 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

You still have my number?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cEZG64IwVas16b2YHsbW0jhxciF4iQ93YZQVdh8Ngvag7ZZyTCPIou6KjVeub4RE