SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
5/7/22 10:59 a.m.

I will soon be making lots of trips between Atlanta and Florida.  Our current "beater" is a 2014 Prius C.  It's a great car, and regularly gets 50+ mpg.  However, 80+mph cruising just isn't its forte.  It's happier at 75 or below.  If you have or know of something that's still fuel efficient, reliable and more highway suited, let me know.  Very much prefer hatch, wagon type, as we will be hauling stuff sometimes.  Prius V, Mazda3 hatch, Kia Soul, Taurus wagon, etc... Prefer to stay under $5k, but can go higher for the right car.  With today's crack pipe prices, I'm looking for the right deal.  I'm good at searching CL, but prefer a private owner with a good history on the car.  Kicking myself for missing the Mitsubishi posted here recently.  If I don't find anything, I'll keep the Prius C until I do, no hurry.

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/7/22 11:44 a.m.

I just did a FB market search for "Honda CRZ" centered on Valdosta, GA with 250 mile radius. Saw some I'd consider that are near your price range. I'm pretty happy so far with my salvage CR-Z project car even with the CVT transmission.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/640854153650033/

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/532214974946913/

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/567032315135000/

5/7/22 12:36 p.m.

Thanks!  We need something bigger.  The Prius C is already too small.  We need it to be able to carry teenagers sometimes and haul small items.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
5/7/22 2:45 p.m.

Have you tried driving less than 80+ mph? 

5/7/22 2:54 p.m.

It sucks.  On an 8 hour drive, it makes a difference.  Plus the Prius mpg plummets quickly.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/7/22 3:24 p.m.

A gen2 Prius will return 42 mpg with cruise set at 77mph. Bigger than Prius C but not really that much bigger. Consider a mid size car based on interior volume.

My Mopar minivan returns 25.6 on family trip to Virginia Beach with cruise set to 77 also.  Included 3 adults and one toddler along with a weeks worth of gear.  Ample room for all and  for everything.   Can move furniture if needed too.  Can tow a 4000 lb trailer too (but mpg will be worse.)

5/7/22 3:39 p.m.

Yes, that is a "wild card" option too, John.  A minivan or midsize SUV that runs on regular unleaded, gets mid-20s+ highway and can do some towing.  We don't need it much, but once in a while I could use some towing capacity.

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/7/22 6:22 p.m.

You might find a mildly distressed Ford C-Max near your price range. 40 MPG and decent interior space.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/5420977054603037/

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/7/22 8:58 p.m.

V6 Rav4s will get mid to high 20s and can tow 3.5k with the tow package.

old_
old_ HalfDork
5/10/22 5:22 p.m.

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

I think they were Toyotas fastest vehicle for awhile too. Around here they are still pretty expensive though

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/10/22 6:54 p.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

I will soon be making lots of trips between Atlanta and Florida.  Our current "beater" is a 2014 Prius C.  It's a great car, and regularly gets 50+ mpg.  However, 80+mph cruising just isn't its forte.  It's happier at 75 or below.  If you have or know of something that's still fuel efficient, reliable and more highway suited, let me know.  Very much prefer hatch, wagon type, as we will be hauling stuff sometimes.  Prius V, Mazda3 hatch, Kia Soul, Taurus wagon, etc... Prefer to stay under $5k, but can go higher for the right car.  With today's crack pipe prices, I'm looking for the right deal.  I'm good at searching CL, but prefer a private owner with a good history on the car.  Kicking myself for missing the Mitsubishi posted here recently.  If I don't find anything, I'll keep the Prius C until I do, no hurry.

I don't think a Soul is the answer for you, but if you really do want one I might be interested in a PriusC.

I have a 2013 6spd 2.0 Soul.  80 is not its happy place.  The highway in general is not its happy place.  Also it isn't that fuel efficient.

5/11/22 6:13 a.m.

I can live with mpg near 30mpg as long as it's regular unleaded.  The Prius C doesn't have a tach, so I don't know how hard the engine is working on the highway...but it definitely "feels" like 75mph is the very top of it's comfort zone.  70 is more like it.  Also, I wouldn't mind the extra people and cargo space, as the Prius is really small.  Fine for just the Mrs and I, but when I need to carry the kids/dog/cargo not so much.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
5/11/22 6:59 a.m.

I think the Mazda3 received a new engine in 2012 that gets high 30s in mileage. Check fueleconomy.gov, but I think the earlier cars are in the 20s.   I've seen 2012 cars in the posted around $5k (usually sedans though).

tastyguac
tastyguac New Reader
5/11/22 9:54 a.m.

I just bought a 2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid from Copart for $2600 after fees. I can get 24-25 in the city and 26-27 on the highway if I'm easy on it, and it tows 3500lbs. It had "mechanical" damage and required a new inverter that cost me $500. I paid a lot to have it shipped but if you're patient you might find one near you. 

billstewartx
billstewartx Reader
5/13/22 3:12 p.m.

i got a BMW 760iL from copart for $3K 

its a highway bomber, with B A D mileage... 

i betcha it could tow a 747  though... 

probably not what you need 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/13/22 3:59 p.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

How much are you seeking the prius c for? 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/16/22 10:56 p.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

I can live with mpg near 30mpg as long as it's regular unleaded.  The Prius C doesn't have a tach, so I don't know how hard the engine is working on the highway...but it definitely "feels" like 75mph is the very top of it's comfort zone.  70 is more like it.  Also, I wouldn't mind the extra people and cargo space, as the Prius is really small.  Fine for just the Mrs and I, but when I need to carry the kids/dog/cargo not so much.

Just a heads up that 29.2 is mixed.  No way is the Soul going to regularly knock down decent mileage at 80.  Its drag coefficient is 0.38 and it has a decent amount of frontal area.  

Anyway, what I meant by the highway is not its happy place is that it feels very underpowered (be ready to use all the gears) at that speed and is tall so feels less stable in cross winds and across bumpier sections than a shorter car/car with a lower H point would.   Granted mine is definitely due for a suspension refresh.

Also re: height, its not very dog friendly for shorter or older dogs.

Its smaller than its looks would suggest (only a couple inches longer than a Prius C), but with the seats down it is a box so its pretty decent for bulky type stuff.  I think they are reasonable around town beaters, but I think if your key metrics are "fuel efficient" and "long haul" (highway) there are other cars that can outperform it.

I'd be all about a Mazda 3 over a Soul.  Or a standard Prius.

5/17/22 7:44 a.m.

Thanks.  I'm sort of hanging back and watching the market and looking for any "steals" that come along.  Maybe I'll rule the Soul out and look at something a bit different.  I'm open to ideas, but am in no hurry whatsoever.  I'd like something more highway suited than the Prius C, but don't have to have it.

yupididit,

That's a good question.  Not sure what I'd ask for it.  The original owner was a traveling medical salesman and drove the wheels off ot it.  We bought it at 291,000 miles and we're now at 314,000 just 8 months later.  Despite driving the hell out of it, the original owner took meticulous care of it.  The Carfax shows an extensive service history.  He also had every little ding and dent taken care of, as it shows quite an extensive "accident" history too.  I checked that out and confirmed none was major...animal hit, windshield, hit in parking lot.  Inside and out you'd think the car had 100k miles not 314k.  Looks great, everything works.  Yeah, has a couple small dings and someone put a crack in my left taillight recently (I'll replace it), but in amazing shape for the mileage.  I'd make a GRM deal for someone here if I decide to sell it.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/17/22 7:52 a.m.

Another option is one of the Camry hybrids.  I've seen first gen with high mileage in the $5-6k range.  

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
5/17/22 12:24 p.m.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/995988534415292/

Euro cars tend to cruise at higher speeds more comfortably than non-euro cars.  A weird safe wagon might be a good choice to bomb around hauling a lot of stuff.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
5/17/22 12:26 p.m.
clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
5/17/22 1:51 p.m.

They are $10k, but a Jetta TDI Sportwagon would fit the bill. Ours will go 500 miles @ 80mph on a tank of diesel.

My other suggestion was going to be Toyota Avalon. They get ~30mpg highway.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kuuWg6IUXWfnOoDEmoNuR33ZKlm8nxmnsKOTR2XRbxRI5gqFWa9xjS6TzBUiRZma