HopmanJones
HopmanJones New Reader
7/16/19 10:25 p.m.

I've done several local events with a 2000 Forester, which is ok, but I recently got to drive a friend's protege at an event and am hooked on the potential of a well setup FWD car. Scouring FB marketplace has been frustrating with people that don't know how to list their car, answer questions, or understand that you need a title to sell a car.

After running the Forester I'm weary of heavy-ish cars with a somewhat high center of gravity. Something that is easy/cheap to repair, durable, has a 14" or 15" size wheel for cheaper tire purchases, and has an aftermarket lsd available, are all traits I'm looking for.

I'd much rather buy from a GRM'er if possible, so I'm just throwing it out there to this audience. Looking for something that would be reasonable competitive in SF or PF class (think Mazda3, Mazda2, Protege, Celica, Civic, Focus zx3). 

engiekev
engiekev Reader
7/17/19 1:13 p.m.

What's your budget? There's a killer Civic EG hatch rally car for sale that I know of that started off in RallyCross, way overkill of course but $12,000.

ojannen
ojannen Reader
7/17/19 3:19 p.m.

Buy an autocrosser's STS prepped Civic or CRX.  Add a skid plate, a cheap LSD, and softer springs.

Kylini
Kylini Dork
7/17/19 4:27 p.m.

Early CRX is probably your hot ticket, but also keep an eye out for Neons. Unlike the Hondas, no one wants them.

HopmanJones
HopmanJones New Reader
7/17/19 10:25 p.m.

Budget is as cheap as possible of course, but $3k max. Cause then I still have to allow for the eventual upgrades like the lsd and rally tires.

Neons and civics have not really been on my radar too but I understand they can be good. I have searched for first gen neon r/t and acr, but they are rare. There are a ton of 2nd gen SXTs out there - how are they? I've looked for 2006+ Civic SI models because of the factory lsd, but they are fairly spendy.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
7/17/19 11:43 p.m.

I have seen a few SRT-4 Neons in the $2-3K range. That's a lot of power for not much cash.

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
7/18/19 8:31 a.m.
lnlds
lnlds Reader
7/18/19 9:58 a.m.

I have a 2000 celica gt-s that needs some work (should be trailered back). It is driveable but steering is broken.  

The UGLY:
Recently curbed--needs new steering rack--doesn't move smoothly throughout the range (even with tie rod off), and likely a steering knuckle. Alignment is in spec but something is still bent.  

Thread for full transparency

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/so-i-curbed-my-celicawondering-when-to-call-it-and-how-many-parts-to-throw-at-it/155404/page1/

The Meh:
195k miles 
CEL for P0420 

The Good: 
6-speed 2zz-GE (great gearing even if powerband is narrow)
2500lb
Clutch done at ~118k
Lift bolts done at ~115k 
KYB AGX at ~166k
15s fit 
New control arms with bushing (2 weeks ago)
New rear calipers+pads (Spring 19)
New rear motor mount with inserts within last few years 
Clean title 
AC/Heat works
Drove well after curbing/alignment before power steering sprung a leak. Still runs and drives but steering is leaking and stiff. 
Owned it since 2012 at 115k 

It does have some mods intake/exhaust, but I do have all the stock parts (not sure how classing works out for you) 

I'm on the fence on selling since I do like the car but there's only one person other than myself who's telling me to fix it. Entertaining ~1000$ OBO. Located in NJ Middlesex/Union county. 

HopmanJones
HopmanJones New Reader
7/18/19 9:22 p.m.

In reply to lnlds :

Thanks for all the info. I'll keep it in mind as I shop around.

KevinLG
KevinLG New Reader
7/19/19 11:19 a.m.

I really don't need to sell it, but since I'm usually driving around in a work vehicle, it's really not particularly useful to me these days. I picked up this car from pimpm3 last fall:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/201x-classifieds/2001-nissan-sentra-se-5-speed-lsd-sr20de-cold-ac-florida/142185/page1/

However I put maybe a few hundred miles on it? Needs a few odds and ends here and there, but it drives fine. I'd like to get 2000 for it since that's about what I paid for it and shipping to get up here. It is in Detroit, MI though which is probably further than you'd like to go.

HopmanJones
HopmanJones New Reader
7/19/19 2:59 p.m.
KevinLG said:

I really don't need to sell it, but since I'm usually driving around in a work vehicle, it's really not particularly useful to me these days. I picked up this car from pimpm3 last fall:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/201x-classifieds/2001-nissan-sentra-se-5-speed-lsd-sr20de-cold-ac-florida/142185/page1/

However I put maybe a few hundred miles on it? Needs a few odds and ends here and there, but it drives fine. I'd like to get 2000 for it since that's about what I paid for it and shipping to get up here. It is in Detroit, MI though which is probably further than you'd like to go.

What type of LSD does it have? I was under the impression that only the SE-R Spec V came with them from the factory.

KevinLG
KevinLG New Reader
7/19/19 7:37 p.m.

It’s a viscous unit. Not the most effective, but I think it’d actually be pretty good for Rallycross. 

HopmanJones
HopmanJones New Reader
7/23/19 9:47 p.m.

Thanks all - found a Mazda3 S locally that will do nicely (I hope)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T1JKdrFLDnu6VD3EmBBoHds7lmIi87BOuBYCWvRcSYKk8Dwn3fhtUBC1prTuCZha