SVDP
SVDP New Reader
2/21/20 10:58 a.m.

Hi All

Im new to this and asking your advice on the Triumph TR3A its been fully restored.  Are they a good run aroung 4 to 5k miles per year.  I am 6ft 5"

Spencer

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
2/22/20 9:58 a.m.

They are mechanically stout cars if properly maintained. Your height will be an issue. If it is long legs you will be uncomfortable for long drives. If it is long torso you will look over the windshield. They steer poorly too, but can be converted to rack & pinion.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
2/29/20 12:21 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

A properly rebuilt original steering box works wonders for handling.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
2/29/20 3:51 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill :

I respectfully disagree with that, I have never seen one with more than 10k miles on it that worked well, and I have worked on/ driven a dozen TR3s

tr8todd
tr8todd SuperDork
3/1/20 5:20 a.m.

Great little cars.  Awesome driving experience with the low slung doors.  You feel like you can touch the ground as you are driving.  Very stout mechanicals and they are actually pretty quick.  Not for big guys.  You want a Triumph and are a large human, you should be looking at TR8s.  No first hand knowledge about the steering box, except for the fact that over the years I have sold half a dozen or so TR7 steering racks to TR3 owners for conversions.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
3/2/20 2:09 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

I respectfully disagree with that, I have never seen one with more than 10k miles on it that worked well, and I have worked on/ driven a dozen TR3s

The Roadster  Factory used to rebuild steering boxes sent in by customers.  Not sure if they still do, but the customer satisfaction was high.  I have no idea if they held up to higher mileage. 

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell New Reader
5/24/20 2:00 p.m.

Yeah, totally unreliable.  My wife and I drove ours from central Arizona to Missouri and back in 2005. numerous run to CA, 600 to 1,000 miles. Then AZ to West Virginia in 2009 (I think). Over5,500 mile trip. Blew out an oil cooler line outside Oklahoma City. Some fuel mixture issues crossing the Rockies (+10,000' elevation, go figure). Now has 90,000+ miles since the 2004 refurbishment, and I'm still SCCA autocrossing it every month, or I would be if events were taking place. The only unreliable TR3s or TR4s are the ones that sit around undriven!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/30/20 3:06 p.m.
Stu Lasswell said:

The only unreliable TR3s or TR4s are the ones that sit around undriven!

Bingo.  

Well..after you have exorcised the DPO from one.  

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell New Reader
6/1/20 6:05 p.m.

OK, can't argue with that.

Jack
Jack SuperDork
6/22/20 4:03 p.m.

6'5" tall, ok but what is your inseam length? 

I have a 35 inch inseam and have been enjoying my TR3A for nearly 25 years.  They have a surprising amount of legroom, mostly because you are sitting very close to the rear wheels.  Sit in one and see if it fits you.  

A lot of disinformation in this thread.  My TR3 has more leg room than my TR8. 

Very simple, rock solid car. 

Jack

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/21/20 8:01 a.m.

As another data point: I'm 6'2" with 34" inseam and I can fit in a TR4 or TR6 just fine. Getting in and out can be tricky, especially with the top up. Once you're in there, it's fine.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vhUzyJiX10gh0rxZVF9eecFtgXPnW52fANbxuW6MbqzmIZwamH0DwIluWG6FiSEc