motobill
motobill New Reader
10/17/21 7:55 a.m.

**SOLD**

Hi guys:

I have had this car for some time now. I started to disassemble it to prep for paint. A previous owner took this beautiful Prototype Yellow (kinda like Porsche Summer Yellow) Spider and painted it red. the last thing the world needs is another red Italian car. This one would look good in its original color. Well, I got the bumpers off and the door cards out and a few other little things...and stalled out. And then the car sat for 10 or more years. So, it's time for it to go to somebody who will appreciate it and enjoy it.

For those of you not in the know, it is a special year for the Spider--1971 was the first year of the Kamm Tail and the last year of the 1750 engine. This car is worth more now in parts than it was 10 years ago when it was still a driver. The trend suggest it will continue to appreciate. 

Converted to Webers with Euro manifold about 15 years ago. It was dyno'd at an Alfa shop in Los Angeles (near Culver City, IIRC) to tune the carbs. RWHP was 100. To run again, the fuel tank needs to be installed and the carbs cleaned. The engine will turn over. I poured some ATF in the cylinders when I stored it. Brakes will need attention. Car rolls. Parking brake works. Trans was shifting well when I parked it.

I have also thought of making it into a Nikka Lauda tribute car. I have a spoiler and air dam. Some additional spares. Near perfect dash ready to go, spare rear chrome bumper (although neither rear bumper is perfect), spare gas tank, doors.

Needs some rust repair. See pictures. I have a pair of floor boards that can go in easily enough. The remaining rust is around the lip where the gas tank mounts. Relatively easy fix. There is some rust in the doors but I also have two good doors.

I have a mountain of records for the car dating back to (almost) new. I believe I am the third owner. Title in hand. On CA PNO.

I have had three cancer diagnoses. I am almost 60 and healthy right now, but I am not gambling on living to a ripe old age. So, I'm gonna sell some projects and buy something I can enjoy now...like a Cayman or an M2. If I do live to a ripe old age, I am gonna regret this, but I'll enjoy working on other projects

Tons of pix available here: 1971 Alfa Romeo Spider 1750 - billybee Some of them (obviously) are older pictures. It is currently in my garage in San Luis Obispo. Easy to show.

$5k for everything. Best to email me to discuss: motobill at gmail.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
10/17/21 6:10 p.m.

French and Italian show in 3 weeks in Los Angeles......

motobill
motobill New Reader
10/25/21 4:07 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

French and Italian show in 3 weeks in Los Angeles......

I just looked into that. Good tip. Thanks. Sadly, I will be running the Lemons Rally that weekend. 

In other news, I think I have a buyer. A touring musician called and wants the car. Seems like a good guy. It may end up being a donor car for another project, but that's fine. I will get it ready for pick-up when I am back in town next week and mark it as sold once I have cash in hand.

--bb

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
11/2/21 9:23 p.m.

I wish I had seen this earlier.  If this was drivable I might have considered a fly and drive.  

As a multiple cancer survivor I wish you the best of luck.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T49AH8YQPpTc8bBzrOKI1hqogRV6JebEuxNq5VsrkHgxwiT0fHtiQa3LqKXXhVGy