Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/15/15 6:19 p.m.

What's the skinny on these cars? It's hard to see why they wouldn't be a neat ride: sweet DOHC motor, 5-speeds, 4-wheel discs, relatively spacious interior, Italian style... Yet I don't hear them mentioned much when discussing neat European rides from the 60s.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
5/15/15 6:19 p.m.

Pic not working

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/15 6:22 p.m.

I'm thinking that rust has claimed all but the best of them.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/15/15 6:27 p.m.

They are/were pretty popular hotrods in Europe but it looks like the US didn't get that many. Much easier to find a GT/GTV in the US than a Giulia.

They only came from the factory with a 1300 or 1600 but the 2L (and in fact most of the drivetrain) from the 2L Bertone GT/GTV will swap in.

Oh yeah, and as Woody mentioned, they can rust something fierce.

If I wasn't laid up with a sprained ankle at the moment I'd probably be calling the owner of this one and buy a welder: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/5009367261.html

Kreb
5/15/15 6:44 p.m.

Yup, had my eye on that one. Spitting distance away, too. Of course I'd really like to have this one in my stable:

VClassics
VClassics Reader
5/15/15 7:10 p.m.

Light, super comfortable seats, and better aerodynamics than a '60s 911 (looks are deceptive). Martin's "taxi" pictured above won the 2-liter class in the 2010 running of La Carrera Panamericana.

Gary
Gary HalfDork
5/15/15 7:18 p.m.

I think the cops drove these in The Italian Job (the original). I love 'em. One of my all time favorites.

maseratiguy
maseratiguy Reader
5/15/15 7:57 p.m.

If I ever decide to sell my Merak this is one of the cars I would consider replacing it with, tweaked of course!

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
5/16/15 9:32 a.m.

Back in my Alfa days I wanted one pretty badly. Great cars...but I never found one. If the right one came along I would still buy it.

Kreb
5/16/15 9:40 a.m.

Well you guys have really warned me away. I'll be sure to avoid them now. But seriously, good, useful information. Thanks.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
5/16/15 6:56 p.m.

A friend of mine made a TI to run the Carrera, too- he's not driven the car for a while- it is really nice.

One of my ideas was to get a Ti an put a 2l in it and leave one where we vacation regularly- 4 seats, great engine, great brakes.

They are very hard to find. I know of a place where he's got a few chassis to start with. They drive like a longer version of the GTV. Which is to say great.

I almost had a Berlina with a Twin Spark motor in it. But our vacation plans changed. Our friends here in MI ended up buying it. Oh, and I remember one other Berlina- just after we got the GTV, a badly painted Berlina showed up in Ann Arbor for less than $1000. Had no place to put it. Which is too bad- the new owner had a tree fall right through the car.

BoxheadTim
5/18/15 9:40 a.m.

In reply to Kreb:

So, did you look at it? Inquiring minds would like to know...

Kreb
5/20/15 6:34 p.m.

No, I got distracted by buying the molds to this:

BoxheadTim
5/20/15 8:59 p.m.

That looks like a good excuse to me . Well done, sir.

I guess I should use this as an excuse to reach out to the seller and see if he's willing to show the Guilia on the weekend.

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
5/21/15 12:34 a.m.

Those cars are cool, but paying that much for a car that's so rusty seems crazy. It was really completely the owners fault rather than anything wrong with those in general, but once I went on an Alfa club drive, and one of those had the gas tank fly out and go sliding down the road because it was so rusty underneath.

Supercoupe
Supercoupe HalfDork
5/21/15 6:53 a.m.

idk...being from the NE that looks almost rust free...

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
5/21/15 7:03 a.m.
Travis_K wrote: Those cars are cool, but paying that much for a car that's so rusty seems crazy. It was really completely the owners fault rather than anything wrong with those in general, but once I went on an Alfa club drive, and one of those had the gas tank fly out and go sliding down the road because it was so rusty underneath.

While there are a lot of really ratty Alfas, the TI in the ad isn't too bad- rust wise. I've seen a lot worse that has been repaired quite well.

The real rust problem with TI's specifically is lack of metal replacements- for the GTV or Spider (or even the earlier Giulietta/Giulia Spider/Sprints) there's a decent source of metal to replace common rust. But TI's were so rare in this country that they might be hard to get.

Price wise- I would not pay that much for a GTV of similar condition. At least not a second time

Still, the idea of having a TI is still appealing. More than a Spider.

BoxheadTim
5/21/15 10:25 a.m.

My concern with that Ti is that you can't really see that much of the rust in the photos.

I actually checked some of the parts suppliers in Europe and you're right, there are fewer repair panels available for the Ti than I thought. For example, I couldn't find any rocker panels at all. That was a bit of a surprise to me, but then again like here it's the GTVs that are more popular, only weirdos want the saloons.

I may still go look at it on the weekend as I'm in dire need of a trackable car at the moment, but given that I really like rust free cars it's not that high on my list.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
5/21/15 10:36 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: only weirdos want the saloons.

Add me to that list. I adore these cars.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
5/21/15 11:35 a.m.

It's one of those things that are so ugly and problematical that they become fashionable once they have stood the test of time. Like Keith Richards.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AT459YJz80MNncpOvmeZodKY2EZ1bXsJbYY4g88GP9E5OIqz0U5IuWT7C8jIStDx