1 2
Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
8/2/12 10:05 a.m.

Hey guys, I have the opportunity to basically trade my 1966 Volvo 1800S, yes the CMS project car, for what is possibly the nicest 1985 Lotus Esprit Turbo available. The lotus has every upgrade that owners advise and also has a engine rebuilt by a Esprit expert to HC Turbo specs. The car also has original paint and interior in very nice shape and needs only a cam belt replacement with all other services up to date.

Now the esprit Turbo has been on my list since I was 13 years old so it is a car I have wanted for awhile. I cannot keep both due to space constraints and do not want to sell any of my other cars to make room for the Lotus.

Opinions?

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
8/2/12 10:43 a.m.

Straight up trade? Hmm... tough one. Does the Lotus have working a/c? I have to admit... the current brutally hot & humid weather we're experiencing in the northeast right now has severely limited the use of our classics. I'd have to think about it, but would probably stay with the Volvo.

If you do get the Lotus, invest is a good on-board fire system. Seriously. (search Dr. Hess' thread on GRM)

VClassics
VClassics Reader
8/2/12 11:55 a.m.

Would you rather own a collie for a pet, or an ocelot? No one can help you with that...

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
8/2/12 3:15 p.m.

You're on the tall side (at least compared to a 5'10" me) do you actually fit in the Lotus? If you fit, get the lotus (and fire suppression). The volvo is a cool old car and all, but a handbuilt supercar - quirks like setting itself on fire included, is something special.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/2/12 3:52 p.m.

I like P1800s but I'd have to echo oldtin's comments - if you fit the Lotus, I'd rather have the Lotus. Well, if one wasn't looking for a daily driver, that is...

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
8/2/12 9:21 p.m.

I do somehow fit in the Esprit, actually better than in my DB7. Also now living in CT I love that it does indeed have working A/C. Oh and it is black with Gold Esprit Turbo lettering like Senna and Mansel had, and tan interior, actually I think called caramel. The deal is that I can sell the 1800S for exactly 1000 more than I can buy the Esprit for.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
8/3/12 6:27 a.m.

Lotus

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
8/3/12 6:50 a.m.

Sir Sean Connery vs Sir Roger Moore

I vote Lotus. The Volvo may be cool but that Esprit sounds tasty.

A.

VClassics
VClassics Reader
8/3/12 11:35 a.m.

1800S goes for more $$$ than a turbo Esprit?! Are we both on the same planet?

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
8/3/12 12:56 p.m.

For better or worse, it seems the days of easily finding a decent driver 1800 for a few thousand are in the past.

There's one in NJ that just showed up on Hemmings the other day. '65 1800 with early bumpers. Basically original and rust free. The catch? It's been in storage and hasn't run since 1971. They're asking $12K for it.

VClassics
VClassics Reader
8/3/12 2:19 p.m.

Just checked the NADA guide, and average retail for the Lotus is between $10K and $11K, while the Volvo is listed at between $14K and $15K. Thing is, I don't know anyone getting nearly that much for the Volvo (unless it's in true #1 condition, which is rare), while a local friend sold his not in any way exceptional non-turbo Esprit for $15K last summer.

Andy knows values a lot better than I do for sure -- it just doesn't square with my own experience.

BoxheadTim
8/3/12 5:30 p.m.
Andy Reid wrote: The deal is that I can sell the 1800S for exactly 1000 more than I can buy the Esprit for.

Unless the Lotus needs more than $1k's worth of work straight away, this would be a no-brainer in my opinion. The black/gold/tan would just be the icing on the cake for me.

Then again, I have a perverted attraction to cheap-ish exotica and if it wasn't for my wife I'd probably have a pile of non-running ones littering the property.

wspohn
wspohn Reader
8/8/12 11:12 a.m.

Hard call. I don't like the styling of the Esprit very much (always reminds me of a Mk 2 Toyota Supra that someone sat on) and the standard definition of a Lotus as a bunch of car parts flying in loose formation is all too true, but if you feel you really want one it may be necessary for you to satisfy that urge. I will say that not many people stick with a Lotus over several decades - they usually get tired of them. The 1800S is a classic that offers long term owner satisfaction, but I am well aware of the 'grass is greener' syndrome and how if affects car ownership.

I'm sure you'd have fun with the Esprit and fancy yourself James Bond - for awhile. Question is whether or ot you'd be able to find a suitable long term garage cabdidate after you tire of it.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
8/8/12 11:20 a.m.

I am just about finished with the 1800S. If you can find one as nice as mine for 16.5k then you should buy it. That is what I am selling it for. Also all the work was done and is documented here on the site nice leather, factory wood wheel, nice dash, terrific mechanical condition(new suspension bushings everywhere, new outriggers, no rust anywhere, new exhaust, new tires, new wheels, amazing paintwork, decent chrome, new carpets, new door panels, new SS braided brake lines, recored radiator, new fuel tank, new fuel pump, both the Weber that is on the car and a compete su setup with linkage, New generator, all new hoses and belts, new windshield rubber, new windshield, new rear window rubber, new trunk and hood seals. I would call it a strong #2 condition car that has proven to be able to cross the country with no issues. The only thing that does not work is the oil temp gauge due to it being disconnected.

OFracing
OFracing Reader
8/12/12 8:00 p.m.

You've lived with the Volvo for a while, now it's time to spice things up (7 year itch?). I like the looks of Esprit and what it can do, on paper at least, but I've never owned one.

Like any fling, I'm sure the driving will be great and ownership thrilling at first. You take long drives together, sponge baths, armor-all and Carbuna wax will bond you. Then, after you've been with her for a bit, you start to notice the peccadilloes. Her habits, personality quirks that you once thought were cute, will start to get on your nerves. Why can't we go for a drive tonight? What's that part you're hiding in the boot? Have you been smoking again?

Pretty soon you'll start trolling Craigslist and Hemmings. I'm not interested, you try to convince yourself, just doing research for work. Pretty soon, you're in a Volvo chat room, pretending you have an empty garage.

The decision has been made, the B*tch has to go. eBay is the quickest way, in 10 days you have the cash and start trying to reconnect with the Swede from the past. But the trust is gone, it's not the same and than one day at a car show you see the Lambo...

mike

ggarrard
ggarrard GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/13/12 8:04 a.m.

Mike - I like your analogy.... describes the "itch" perfectly...

maseratiguy
maseratiguy New Reader
8/15/12 4:19 p.m.

Hmmmm, tougher choice than I first thought when I read the question. 1800 is sporty, stable, relibale, attractive nice almost everyday usability. The Lotus you will end up driving less, only on really nice days and long drives, and the "right" roads/road trips. But where the Volvo is "sporty" the Lotus IS Sport! The Volvo is athletic the Lotus is an Olympic athlete The Volvo is an atractive actress, the Lotus is an supermodel diva. ...ok enough with the analogies. It may depend on what else you have available in your stable. Any other exotics or sporty everday cars? Anythin similar to one or the other in terms of usage or similar driving experience? The extra $1,000 will disapear instantly with sales tax, registration, timing belt, and an unexpected something so $$wise it is a wash. tough choice

Tom1200
Tom1200 New Reader
8/19/12 8:22 p.m.

OR keep the Volvo and buy an MR2, then use the money you'll be spending on the Lotus to buy goodies for an MR2, the First Gen can be parred down to a shade over 2000lbs and a moderately modded 4AG is capable of 170HP and you could add a turbo get even more power out of it. If you must have a car that needs constant attention you can crank the boost.

Tom
Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
8/20/12 11:07 a.m.

Tom - that's a GRM forum response. Over here the rules are a bit different when it comes to comparing an MR2 to an Esprit.

Tom1200
Tom1200 New Reader
8/23/12 9:26 p.m.

Ian I do understand that comparing the MR2 to the Lotus may stir some folks, seeing as the MR2 is a much better car, also remember the MR2 is now a 28 year old car. I driven many a Lotus and they are fabulous but as pointed out in this thread living with them may not be so easy. One of the things many classic car magazines (sorry Tim I do cheat on CM) now feature are alternatives to feature cars. Anyone familiar with the sport compact crowd know that they get serious horsepower out of 4AG powered cars, 250HP turbo cars are quite common and reliable. Japanese Classics are much easier to live with and just as fun to drive.........so they are always a great alternative.

Tom
TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
8/26/12 11:33 a.m.

I'd like to hear Roger Moore's opinion since he did drive both of them.

I'll be the odd man out and go with the Volvo. My brother owns a Lotus and they can be quite quirky, no matter which model you own. He owns a twin cam Europa with the Euro/weber head BTW.

wspohn
wspohn Reader
8/27/12 11:10 a.m.

I wasn't thinking of anything beyond the two mentioned cars until Tom posted, but there are lots of cars that are fun and also cheap enough that you needn't flog the Volvo to get one.

I've kept a 1988 Fiero GT for the last 22 years because of that (a turbo bumps power to weight up where it needed to be).

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
9/11/12 8:16 a.m.

Thanks for all the responses. It looks like the esprit is coming and the Volvo is staying as well.

Check out the new topic on the Jensen and please chime in.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
9/11/12 5:42 p.m.

You need help

BoxheadTim
9/11/12 10:49 p.m.
AndreGT6 wrote: You need help

Well, I would say Andy fits right in here . Don't we all.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mXQ5obU246gdmmKKddRXqQH5Y1hfTocFOx1pp0MegeabTnyrSaVRE1bfauiQsktk