Sarah Young
Sarah Young Editorial/Art Assistant
9/23/20 9:23 a.m.

[Editor's Note: This article originally ran in the January 2010 issue of Classic Motorsports]

Ask around and you’ll find that advice is rarely consistent. When it comes to vintage racers, different scenes, experiences and equipment result in an array of viewpoints on a subject. For example, should historic vehicles be coddled or flogged? Is winning a noble goal, or does …

Read the rest of the story

Ebby
Ebby GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/2/23 9:33 a.m.

The comments from experienced racers are really worthwhile.  I ran Vintage for about 11 years and I would only add a few thoughts: Buy your first race car...and buy it at the track. Don´t try to build your first one.

Spend money on safety first---speed second. You only get one head etc.

Have some fun. In the early days of RMVR...we had as much fun after the races as we did during! And we met some really interesting people.

One of the fun parts then was driving different race cars. We would often swap seats and I drove everything from a Vee to a March 722.  Learned the March was faster than I was!

It is too bad the costs have gone so crazy.  The expense keeps many young folks out of the sport.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
joEHuteXP19UEpvSy7fduiQNakLZJojg4vBy2pfDcFJcKNnlK50PyC5EadrE7Doe