1 2
Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
7/13/10 1:15 p.m.

The September issue has a feature, “35 Cars You Must Drive.” We’ve expanded the discussion to include even more recommendations online; you can check it out by going here:

http://classicmotorsports.net/articles/more-cars-you-must-drive/

Any opinions? Did we mention your car? Did we make a mistake by not mentioning your favorites? If so, why do you feel this was a mistake?

When we wrote the story we tried to pick iconic, important cars that offered a driving experience different from others, either because it set a standard, surprised, or was just plain weird.

Check out the article, read the extra content online, and let us know what you think.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
7/13/10 4:33 p.m.

I love the debate that articles like this generate. Here are a few that I wish had made it in...

1) Sunbeam Imp
2) Volvo 544
3) Ford Model A

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
7/14/10 8:46 a.m.

Now that I can post (odd error)...

Thumbing through the article, it's interesting to have a list of cars that one "must drive" to include so many cars that are incredibly rare to see in person, let alone sit behind the wheel.

Even being an Alfisti, who is invovled in AROC- I highly doubt I'll ever get a chance to drive a pre-war Alfa.

So it's kind of an odd list, if you ask me.

Eric

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
7/14/10 9:20 a.m.

What would you add Eric. I thought a 750 or 101 series Alfa Spider or Coupe would have been good additions personally as they were the genesis cars for post-war Alfa Romeo.

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
7/14/10 9:33 a.m.

Andy I don't know- based on the list as presented, I'm not entirely sure what the criteria is.

For a dream car, I would totally add a TZ, and probably an SZ.

OTOH, a realistic car would be a 750/101 Sprint or Spider (while I have one of each, I've never driven either- but I understand they are pretty cool).

That's kind of my point- while I've seen an TZ in person, and even the Alfa that was in the article, I'll never get a real chance to drive one. So I just find the list rather curious that so many of the cars are that rare- doesn't seem like an attainable "must drive" list.

Eric

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/14/10 10:15 a.m.

To leave the AMC Eagle off of this list is a crime against humanity!

and Kenosha Wisconsin

VClassics
VClassics Reader
7/14/10 11:50 a.m.

I liked the article, but I had the same reaction as Eric. It should have been titled, "35 Cars You Must Drive, 20 of Which You'll Never, Ever Have the Remotest Chance To."

Gary
Gary Reader
7/14/10 12:32 p.m.

I agree with Phil. The article probably should have been presented differently. “Cars you must drive” implies that the writer has indeed driven all of them and is qualified to offer expert opinion, which may be true. But it also assumes that those of us on the readership end of the publishing empire all have the financial means to acquire each of them, or at least have access to them, and that’s a stretch. So the unintended result is an article that appears condescending and patronizing.

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
7/14/10 4:14 p.m.

Just as odd is the list of "Cars you must Race"- of which all of one is a reasonably attainable car- the Spitfire. None of the rest even have a remote chance of driving, let alone the odds of actually seeing one.

I guess the P car is somewhat likely- but real racing P cars are big, big $$. And maybe the Lotus Cortina- but any old Cortina/Dart/911/280ZX Turbo ain't whats on the list.

So, it's hard to judge what cars were left off based on the cars that were on the list.

If you are going to have a 917k, then the 917/10 and 917/30 should be a requirement for US based racers....

If the list were MGB's or GTV's or 510's, or things like what is in the small bore challenge, then I might have some ideas.

But based on the list, I'll say a 158 and 159 Alfetta. Just like the one that Fangio raced....

(Please don't become like AW and C&D!)

Eric

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
7/15/10 5:20 a.m.

To be honest, this is the kind of article that pushed me not to renew the magazine. Much like GRM compared to Autoweek and the others, there's plenty of magazines out there that I can read about the hopelessly unobtainable if that's what I'm into. I much prefer to read and learn about cars that I have at least a remote chance of picking up some day. I'm not saying every issue should only be about MGBs and Spitfires, but that least would have been better titled "Dream Vehicles for Jay Leno".

pete240z
pete240z Dork
7/15/10 6:57 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: To leave the AMC Eagle off of this list is a crime against humanity! and Kenosha Wisconsin

Wow! K-Town Rocks! Be sure to visit the Brat Stop in Kenosha.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
7/15/10 6:57 p.m.

I also loved the 240Z. What else?

Series6
Series6 Reader
7/15/10 8:18 p.m.

One of those articles I looked at the pictures and didn't bother with the article. As stated above, most of the cars listed are hardly ever seen, and if you find one at a show, museum or event, your odds of getting a drive or even a ride are astronomical.

Actually........maybe next time I see one, I can show the owner the magazine and mention Classic Motorsports said I MUST drive one... Pass over the keys buddy!

Think that will fly?

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
7/15/10 9:36 p.m.

You can always try. I might. :)

Seriously though the idea was to show the progression of the cars as much as the dream cars. Keep in mind the Mazda Miata made the list as did the MG T Series, Viper, Mini, XKE, 911, Bugeye, Corvair, Citroen SM, Manx, VW Beetle, Model T, Edsel, Berkeley and the 240Z which is a great percentage of the cars and all of these cars cost at the high end 40,000 and at the low end a few thousand.

By no means were we trying to make a list of unobtainum cars.

The cars were those that offered a different experience from other cars or were groundbreaking in some way. If that is your list it is difficult to not include the Miura as it is the worlds first supercar and a classic front engine Ferrari and the 275 is a pretty iconic car and the Cobra.

We worked very hard on the list and had what I considered a really interesting mix of cars at all levels. Just because a car is expensive does not mean it is not worth reading about.

It is likely all of us have a lottery list of cars that we would buy if we won the quick pick so why not dream a little.

And who knows maybe the market will tank and you will be able to get a Alfa 6c for $25,000. I once bought a Ferrari 250 series car for $6,500 and drove it home.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
7/15/10 9:38 p.m.

Oh and we will NEVER be like Autoweek and Car and Driver.

I know I am saying this and I am the guy that just bought an Aston Martin DB7. Please keep in mind that I paid a total of $19,950 for the car with very few needs. Because it was expensive does not mean it still is.

pjr300
pjr300 New Reader
7/15/10 9:47 p.m.

I thought it was a great list.... influential cars, whether a pedestrian cost or something more.

Selfishly, I was glad to see the RX-7 (1st Gen) and also the Corvair on the list. Groundbreaking vehicles for the masses that are often forgotten.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
7/15/10 9:53 p.m.

Thanks and me too on both of these. I love the First Gen RX-7 and have wanted a white 79 for years.

VClassics
VClassics Reader
7/16/10 10:56 a.m.

As I said, I enjoyed the article. I have no problem learning more about cars that are out of my reach, or cars that are historically important. It's just the title of the article that's misleading.

WilD
WilD HalfDork
7/16/10 12:24 p.m.

The only thing I didn't like about the article was the title. I MUST drive them? or what?

That being said, I enjoyed reading it and perhaps would have enjoyed a longer list. While I can understand some of the sentiments above about some of the cars being unobtainium, one of the reasons I subscribe to Classic Motorsports is so I can see pictures of, and read about interesting cars I probably won't encounter anytime soon.

Perhaps you should consider seperate lists for future isues. Something like 25 cars you wish you could drive but probably never will, balanced with 25 cars under $15K worth every penny for the experience.

GSCReno
GSCReno New Reader
7/16/10 1:16 p.m.

I haven't seen the whole list yet Andy... Is there a 6er in there? Cheers, Scott

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
7/16/10 10:20 p.m.
ddavidv wrote: I much prefer to read and learn about cars that I have at least a remote chance of picking up some day. I'm not saying every issue should only be about MGBs and Spitfires, but that least would have been better titled "Dream Vehicles for Jay Leno".

And here you've hit the hardest part of making a magazine–making it appeal to everybody. We try to put a wide range of stuff in the magazine (obviously leaning towards normal people), because if we only wrote about MGB's and Spitfires, Jay Leno (and many others like him) probably wouldn't read the magazine anymore, and we wouldn't be in business.

GSCReno
GSCReno New Reader
7/17/10 1:20 a.m.

First off Tommy, let me start by saying that I have alot of respect for you. The fact that a young man such as yourself digs these funky old import cars is VERY cool indeed... However, Jay has his collection and one of the best mechanics on the planet in the form of Bernard J. For you, and your family, cool sports cars are a way of life. For many of the rest of us they are our hobby. And one that we can barely afford to keep, drive and maintain sometimes. I think what is being posted on this thread is very important to the future of "the Empire" there in Florida. Most of us will never see a Bugatti Veron, various and sundry Ferraris and the like. We drive and maintain Fiats, Alfas, MGs, Triumphs, BMWs; etc. Know your demographic... And for God's sake, it's a Miata... We ALL know that you guys love Miatas... Let it go on the MX-5s, will ya!!! Cheers, Scott

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
7/17/10 7:08 a.m.

I like you Tommy. I hope someday I'll be able to beat you in an autocross or a vintage race.

A magazine will never be all things to all people, you are right. My criticism does not mean there is anything intrinsically wrong with CM, it just doesn't work for me. I like the magazine, but I found I wasn't really getting much from it. Maybe 45 years of filling my head with trivia about old cars makes it difficult to learn much new. FWIW I don't buy Hemmings Sports & Exotics either, or any of the expensive British magazines at Borders. With reading time becoming ever more limited, I have chosen to make a few careful selections of reading material and CM just isn't important enough to make the cut. I confess I felt guilty about not renewing it. Y'all are like good friends and I want to keep you employed, but GRM has to suffice.

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
7/17/10 2:05 p.m.

I think everyone should drive a old big mercedes at least once on the highway. Approaching cars at speed, flashing high beams to part the traffic. They might not be as fun as some of the others but if you have ever seen a big mercedes 4 door with a V8 barreling down the road they would intimidate many of those other cars. Everyone loves a bully driving a mercedes!

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
7/17/10 10:39 p.m.

Hey Benz Baron I agree. A 6.9 would be my pick though. You can't beat that huge engine in a classic S class sedan..

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AhgzgPYkrdoZP1qzn6VkeiZi2LdjpEA1GH21gA6TKxsOD4Z7pqY74FM3Rn45fkXV