AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/28/11 7:26 p.m.

finally wrapping up the brake package on my buddy's '68 Mustang GT coupe. i fabricated brackets to attach S197 calipers to the OE drum brake knuckles, turned the OD and put a chamfer on the outboard face of the hub to allow installation of S197 GT rotor, used an off-the-shelf brass adapter to mate the S197 jounce hoses to the OE hard lines on the chassis, and installed a 1" wheel spacer to allow the 17x8" SN95 wheels and 245/45-17 tires to clear the fenders and the suspension.

but the change from front drum to front disc made the car rear-biased (ie rears locking before fronts) because the disc package makes less torque for the same pressure, compared to the drums i removed.

solution: knob-style adjustable prop valve, mounted to a universal prop valve bracket sourced from National Parts Depot (in their early Mustang catalog). This shot shows the MC and prop valve bracket with prop installed. Putting it together on the bench allowed me to bend the hard line from the rear circuit output of the MC (it's the forward port as installed) to the input of the adjustable prop:

once i had it bolted up in the car, i could bend the hard line from the prop output to the input of the original combo valve (pretty sure it's just a differential-pressure switch to turn on the red brake light in the dash in case of a hydraulic circuit failure):

here's a shot to show how well the 12-1/4" rotor fills up the 17" rim. The 3-bar spinners are from the 16" rims on an S197 V6 car. first i though they'd look cheesy, but now i kinda dig 'em:

and here's a couple of full-view shots of the car. i'm glad to see it outside! and i'm sure my wife will be glad to have her indoor parking space back, after the Mustang goes home tomorrow morning:

and with that, i get to start on the mud-room project. and that's fine with me, because it's friggin' cold in my garage. ;-)

Steve Chryssos
Steve Chryssos Reader
1/2/12 3:28 p.m.

Beautiful car and well done on the brakes. Happy stopping!

Robert Bowen
Robert Bowen
1/4/12 1:08 p.m.

Nice that you can fit those 17" wheels under the fenders. I should try a set on my Valiant one of these days.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O5LD5nXLaYGe091GGbYw3MdgYmTNrF73kE4F5wmRuPwM7UumUykOF3NtRgl3HkED