1 2 3
racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
7/2/13 6:54 p.m.

Do it! I think it's a great idea. And keep us posted. My grandfather used to build Model T's, it was his first job. He always claimed the A was the best car ever built.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
7/2/13 9:15 p.m.
Woody wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote: In reply to Woody: I've always wondered, why are hydraulic brakes stressed so much with old Fords? VW, Rolls Royce, and a few others used them well into the 60s. Do the Ford mechanical brakes really suck even when "right", or are they just a pain to keep adjusted properly?
The rods stretch, and not all at the same rate, so each wheel can begin braking at a different time. Plus, they are not self energizing. People started retrofitting Model A's with hydraulic brakes in the forties.

And don't go fooling yourself into thinking that just because Rolls Royce used them forever that they were good or something. There is no feeling more terrifying than properly adjusted RR mechanical brakes. Anyone who says differently is looking through rose colored glasses....or just talking out of their ass.

RR had too much pride in their "tradition" and doggedly stuck to old technology despite its flaws.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/2/13 9:29 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote:
Woody wrote: I've always wondered, why are hydraulic brakes stressed so much with old Fords? VW, Rolls Royce, and a few others used them well into the 60s. Do the Ford mechanical brakes really suck even when "right", or are they just a pain to keep adjusted properly?
Don't forget Bugatti as well. :)

For the record, Woody didn't wrote that.^

Woody
7/2/13 9:30 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Awesome, thanks for the advice. One other thing: I plan to carry my bike with it. Hopefully I can figure out a way to do that.

Rumble seat?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Event Marketing
7/2/13 11:19 p.m.

I'm leaning more towards a hitch rack, but that could work. XD

Tom Suddard
7/3/13 11:28 a.m.

Aaaaand I now have a domain for the project.

EveryDayModelA.com

I'll be posting as often as possible, please follow along.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
7/3/13 11:44 a.m.

4 speed manual? Counting reverse? Or overdrive?

Tom Suddard
7/3/13 11:48 a.m.

Actually, that's a programming issue with our site. Our developers had never heard of a 3-speed, so it wasn't an option when I added the project car. I'm working on fixing this now.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
7/3/13 12:10 p.m.

Waiting for the LS swap comment.....

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/3/13 5:16 p.m.

You should do a LS swap!

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
7/3/13 5:25 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Aaaaand I now have a domain for the project. EveryDayModelA.com I'll be posting as often as possible, please follow along.

Cool! I'll be watching.....

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
7/3/13 5:48 p.m.
EvanB wrote: You should do a LS swap!

Thanks. Good to get that out of the way (says the guy that once put a Toranado drivetrain in the back of a '32 Ford Pickup)...

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
7/3/13 5:57 p.m.

Getting back to the original question:

YES, most certainly you are suffering from a rare form of bat-E36 M3-dropped-on-your-head variety of crazy.

Possibly genetic causation.

But I don't ascribe any value judgement to that diagnosis.

Carry on.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
7/3/13 8:43 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: Getting back to the original question: YES, most certainly you are suffering from a rare form of bat-E36 M3-dropped-on-your-head variety of crazy. Possibly genetic causation. But I don't ascribe any value judgement to that diagnosis. Carry on.

Ha, that's one of those funny-'cause-it's-true comments. The genetic part, I mean. I don't think we ever dropped him on his head, though he did launch himself onto it several times... speaking of which, Tommy just stopped by the house for the trailer. Seems he's already blown a head gasket on the Model A.

The good news is that a head gasket apparently costs less than $50 for these things.

Should be an interesting month...

Margie

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
7/4/13 7:01 a.m.

adventure!

drainoil
drainoil Reader
7/4/13 8:10 a.m.

Digg it! When my grandfather was alive he had many stories involving Model A's and T's, he loved them.

I'll be watching your journey. In a world of loaded with everything suv's and keep up with the Jones's mentaility, this is quite refreshing!

Tom Suddard
7/4/13 11:53 a.m.

I just added another update:

Everydaymodela.com

Woody
7/4/13 12:16 p.m.

Need a spare cylinder head?

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
7/4/13 12:45 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: I just added another update:

I like your door decals. I didn't remember you saying that you had done that.

(BTW, I found a couple 2011 pictures that I took from the top of that lighthouse. The album even has one photo I took of your Model A)

Tom Suddard
7/5/13 11:36 a.m.

Thanks, and that's a great photo!

I thought the door decals would be a good way to automatically "watermark" every photo taken of the car, as well as a way to let the locals know why there is suddenly a Model A on Route 1 every day.

Tom Suddard
7/5/13 11:37 a.m.

Oh, and there's another update online.

EveryDayModelA.com

Woody
7/5/13 4:56 p.m.

I also have a spare set of spark plug, uh, "wires" if you need them, though I doubt that's the source of your ignition issue.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
7/5/13 5:02 p.m.

Doesn't condenser failure typically toast the points? Or is the A different from the lawnmowers and 60s cars that learned me points?

Tom Suddard
7/7/13 12:17 p.m.

Looks like I need a new timing gear.

EveryDayModelA.com

Tom Suddard
7/11/13 12:52 p.m.

I got it running again!

EveryDayModelA.com

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.