Think the Miata is too new to be a classic? It originated 40 years ago. 

“I see it as a perfect remastering of all the Alfas, MGs, Triumphs, Lotuses and Austin-Healeys that came before it,” says Norman Garrett, long-time sports car owner and also concept engineer for the original Miata. “It’s as if all those great classic sports cars from …

Read the rest of the story

BillKeksz
BillKeksz New Reader
5/5/22 12:49 p.m.

Don't forget the other 4 drains, located at the pinch weld jack points. If not crushed, they can be cleaned with a paper clip. 
And check for debris aft of the front,  and forward of the rear wheel wells. Leaves collect there and keep moisture in place...

Oh... Crank end  play on '96 and '97. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/22 12:53 p.m.

In reply to BillKeksz :

First I've heard of an end play problem on '96/97. The cars with the thrust bearing problem were 1999 models, and they usually expire within 30k if they have the mismatched parts. Now, stuck oil pressure relief valves dumping all oil pressure, that's something I've seen a few times on 1996 models.

Keith Tanner
5/5/22 12:58 p.m.

FYI, GRM published a buyer's guide in 2006 was a lot more in-depth.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/mazda-miata/

And if you want to collect something, don't look for the M Edition. Look for a 1993 LE. If you must have an M Edition, the only really notable one is the 1995.

BillKeksz
BillKeksz New Reader
5/5/22 10:32 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Ah, forgot about the relief valve... which happened on my second 97, the thrust bearing having killed my first.

Keith Tanner
5/5/22 10:38 p.m.

Not going to say it can't happen, but I don't think it's a widespread problem. 

You've been in the game for a while :)

Gary
Gary UberDork
5/6/22 4:16 p.m.

To anyone who doesn't have one:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a5bWk3gG0XvFUu9NrLsGnrz8Z9LRzjV4F1urJwnMrD06zXKKOTPPOYsWeAZwhTRl