David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/16/21 8:20 a.m.

Remember when a Datsun 510 served as an inexpensive, practically disposable car–something you could write off and not lose sleep over? Those days ended so long ago.

What’s a 510 worth today? Depends. Hagerty says about $35,000 for the best of the best, but Bring a Trailer has fetched more than $40,000 for ones that could be called tastefully tweaked. …

Read the rest of the story

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/16/21 8:24 a.m.

Across the street from my son's school there is a somewhat rusty blue 510 wagon with a manual sitting on gold enkei92 wheels. It's been under a car cover along with a beetle and e36 bmw. I asked the owner of the house about it and the 3 cars belong to his son who passed away a couple years ago. He has no plans for them nor will he sell them. He's a really old dude (Vietnam vet) who was more interested im talking about me being in the military than the cars. Maybe I'll give it another go.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/16/21 8:47 a.m.

A friend of mine races them but he's starting to re-think that choice because they're becoming too valuable.  He couldn't afford to replace one if it got wrecked.

Coupefan
Coupefan Reader
3/12/22 11:16 a.m.

So individuals racing vintage Abarth, Ferraris, Porsches and others should stop immediately, because of the potential for racing damage?

dougie
dougie HalfDork
3/12/22 11:31 p.m.
Coupefan said:

So individuals racing vintage Abarth, Ferraris, Porsches and others should stop immediately, because of the potential for racing damage?

Ditto .... I vintage race a 65 year-old car, try getting original replacement parts for a 1957 Austin Healey 100/6 MM. I've had to do a few repairs due to "racing incidences" and it's never easy, but it can be done...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/3/22 2:16 p.m.
Coupefan said:

It's a good question. I had a Porsche collector comment to me that his cars are getting too valuable to just drive around. I know, "drive them and enjoy them," but the values had gone up so, so much that he had gotten nervous. 

markertoo
markertoo None
1/8/23 11:29 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:
Coupefan said:

It's a good question. I had a Porsche collector comment to me that his cars are getting too valuable to just drive around. I know, "drive them and enjoy them," but the values had gone up so, so much that he had gotten nervous. 

Editorial Director, Grassroots Motorsports & Classic Motorsports

This actually can be a problem with both street cars and race cars. With a race car, for the most part, you're on the hook yourself entirely. Street cars usually have insurance, but it's not likely to cover it.

With a race car, the racer is usually totally responsible for costs of repair or loss. I understand the concern of using an appreciating car on track. I have less than $10K into a car that today would take me well over $40K to replace. I kept it because it was supposed to be my track car, but I now worry about possible damage that it'll get.

Bluebird51
Bluebird51 New Reader
1/9/23 11:25 a.m.

Park it? i dont think so!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sFnbfgUbcvxdxb6IuvJqYhzuePnEgrctuHPf9fft1cMaypUycZC6q36eSHYwJQDt