ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
9/27/22 3:07 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/EvD9C_0F6II

Before you start fabricating all those bits and brackets, how about learning some basic concepts first?

Here are five of our favorite fabrication tips and tricks to make your project a success.

Presented by CRC Industries.

Watch more videos

rdstr
rdstr New Reader
9/28/22 11:43 a.m.

If possible a punched hole is more accurate both in diameter & location

Kubotai
Kubotai New Reader
9/28/22 12:41 p.m.

An addition to Tip #3:  Step drills are wonderful for this (if the material you're working with isn't too thick).

BirkinGeorge
BirkinGeorge New Reader
9/29/22 10:44 a.m.

Remember, a clean shop is a safe shop. One thing I TRY to do is always put tools back where they belong after every job or the end of the day.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
9/29/22 1:23 p.m.

In reply to Kubotai :

Good advice. Thanks for commenting.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
9/29/22 1:23 p.m.

In reply to BirkinGeorge :

I drive my team nuts by constantly putting stuff away.

JoeKelly
JoeKelly
1/2/23 7:31 p.m.

don't try going small hole to large with copper and brass as the drill will grab

bosswrench
bosswrench New Reader
3/20/23 2:15 p.m.

In reply to BirkinGeorge :

I am required to do so. My shop is 100' from the house so I often borrow tools from my wife's fully equipped toolbox... and she really hates greasy returned tools!

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/22/23 7:59 a.m.

mod bump

russelljones48
russelljones48 New Reader
5/30/23 1:33 p.m.

newish learnings for me..  I work a fair amount using aluminum and have found that my carbide tipped hole saws are wonderful for large(er) holes even in thicker stock.  Use lubrication and keep the bit as square as possible.  They're my go to after I exceed the diameter of a step drill.   My 2 newer tools also fll into the category of: "wish I new that before".  First up an older not too expensive used mill rather than a drill press...  The mill even if used only as a drill press is FAR more accurate and even if it's only operated manually allows for many other operations.  My second acquisition was a disk/belt sander...  after clamping my 18" belt sander into my vice for several years I sure wish I'd bought the combo sander sooner - I bought the Jet.  Rough cuts finish up and square up very quickly.  Too soon old too late smart - that's me..

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Fe73yCq24Y27JeaN0LDkqvdCBIwIUXxIE6CTFHTqZgfjZw5TbzhogpH7e4kY8QPj