1 2
frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
1/17/23 11:29 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Let me start out by thanking you. I guess you didn't read where I agreed with you.  Carbs are a lot simpler.   I can really understand them. 
  You're right too in that I don't need 650 horsepower  in a tow car, nor would it even be cool.  Originality on a 50 year old car  is cool.  Restomod?   Not so much.  

You are especially on point with the speed and ease I can have that car running on the road. 

I'm arguing more with myself.  I'd really like to bring the JaguarXKE V12 down to the challenge towed behind a Jaguar sedan. The difference in fuel cost is only slightly made up by the added costs to EFI it.  
     Early XJ12's had 3:31 rear end ratio's but one of my 2:88 ratios would bolt right in. That would improve the fuel mileage.   Maybe improve my fuel mileage towing to back around 6mpg?   Then the only difference is the cost of Premium vs E85.  Recalculating it might only cost me $2200 in fuel  round trip to the Challenge. if I can get 6 mpg.  
  Since the original compression was 7.9-1 and I'll be using the later engine with 11.5-1 

That might be possible. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
1/17/23 11:52 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Ian.

You asked about a V12 manifold for regular carbs like Holley and Edelbrock? 

Yes they do.  You can buy a 2x4 barrels set up for $1800 plus carbs.  
   By the time you've got them set up right, properly tuned. You'd have close to $3000 in it and I doubt you'd make as much power as the factory set up. 
  Those long ram tubes on the Jaguar set up really add a lot of bottom end torque  and the carbs are 1&3/4 throats X4. So it's bigger than a Holley dominator.   The only negative is they use exhaust heat to drive the fuel charge up and over the valve covers. 
      While that helps reduce emissions and improves fuel mileage. It hurts top end power.    
           Huffaker used 2"SU's instead of the Strombergs and both Group  44  and Huffaker agreed they had more  peak power.  But Group 44 made more power under acceleration. 

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
1/17/23 12:19 p.m.

When I stuck a 3.4 V6 in one of my MGs, I opted for FI. Steeper learning curve but once it is set up it works well and is pretty painless.

And besides, the bonnet line was so low that there was no room for a downdraft carb.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
1/17/23 2:46 p.m.

You do very nice work.  Did you mega squirt the. MG? Micro squirt or something else?  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kJS1Me8uXxxBX6ulW0IOdQRGE9XEKyxNSo9rdUEouE7tr6pDGT1sijJpoeRlnoD1