1 2
TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
4/30/15 5:44 p.m.

It was the fall of Saigon and the official end of the Vietnam war.

But more importantly I was driving a 1960 Porsche 356B cabriolet, my brother had a 1967 Mini Cooper S and my best friend had a 1961 Triumph TR3. All three of the cars were beaters as we were all young then, but we all regret not having them now.

What were you driving back then?

VClassics
VClassics Reader
4/30/15 6:03 p.m.

'67 Chevelle SS396.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
4/30/15 6:19 p.m.

I was still borrowing my dad's '61 Catalina at that point. I was in my first year of college, and didn't get my own car for another 8 months. One month prior to that day I was in the last Selective Service lottery draft of the Vietnam era, my number was in the 300s.

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
4/30/15 6:35 p.m.

Lotus Cortina as my daily driver.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
4/30/15 6:39 p.m.

A bicycle Now my first car was a Jeepster Commando, but by college, I started with a MG, then bought a TR4 for my final two years in the early '80's. It seemed so old then, but it would be like buying a '99 Miata now.

impster
impster Reader
4/30/15 6:49 p.m.

A 1960 series 1 Sunbeam Alpine. Daily driver which I also drove across country (Connecticut to Colorado) when I moved with everything I owned (except my cat!) either in the trunk or on the luggage rack.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/30/15 7:24 p.m.

Hot Wheels.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
4/30/15 7:55 p.m.

A go-kart was my ride.

stu67tiger
stu67tiger Reader
4/30/15 8:44 p.m.

I was driving a German '73 V6 Capri. Neat car, a nice balance of handling and power. Too bad most of them have rusted to s**t by now.

Stu

dougie
dougie Reader
4/30/15 11:34 p.m.
81cpcamaro wrote: A go-kart was my ride.

Dido on the go-cart. My dad built one for my two older brothers and me. The neighborhood was never the same....

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
5/1/15 12:07 a.m.

We were discussing this at work; a co-worker and her family got out with a few days to spare. Her father was an officer whose assignment had him working with the American Army. Her relatives said that the North Vietnamese had his name on the list.........scary. On brighter note a church group in Wisconsin took in the family, Dad, Mom and the seven kids. She's one of six people I've known who literally escaped with their lives and are so grateful to be here...it's humbling talking with them about thier experience. We were still in Hawaii, I remember our church had taken in several young Vietnamese men between 1972 and 1975, I was still riding a bicycle but we returned to the mainland and I got a mini bike soon after.........a few years after that I got my first motorcycle......it was around 1984 before I bought a car.

Tom
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/1/15 6:10 a.m.

1964 Galaxie 500 convertible; 352 4 speed. It's hard to imagine now, but I paid $400 for it.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/1/15 7:56 a.m.

I was driving a Sprite, and my fiancee Sharron had her 1973 MG Midget. The Sprite is long gone, but I still have Sharron, and we still have the Midget.

This is a good time to honor our fine Americans who went over there and fought that war, and didn't always have the support they deserved.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
5/1/15 8:39 a.m.

40 years ago today, I was riding a bicycle and had recently retired my Big Wheel.

Gary
Gary HalfDork
5/1/15 9:49 a.m.

'68 Volvo 1800S

Incidentally, I've been listening to Up Country by Nelson DeMille on audio. It's about a guy who goes back to Nam and visits the places where he fought in 1968 as a 1st Cav infantry grunt (11 bravo, a.k.a. 11 bang-bang for those of you familiar with Army MOS of the time) ... Hue, A Shau Valley, Khe Sanh, Quang Tri Province, etc. Very interesting, especially since the author is a Nam combat vet.

VClassics
VClassics Reader
5/1/15 10:39 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote: I was still borrowing my dad's '61 Catalina at that point. I was in my first year of college, and didn't get my own car for another 8 months. One month prior to that day I was in the last Selective Service lottery draft of the Vietnam era, my number was in the 300s.

My draft lottery was in '71, and my birthday came up number 2. Fortunately, I was in boot camp in the Navy when it did.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
5/1/15 11:06 a.m.

Huffy Scout 5-speed, until it got stolen. Who'd steal a five-speed bike?

There was occasional field/parking lot driving in a B&S-powered go-kart, assorted tractors, or Dad's '62 unibody pickup.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
5/1/15 1:05 p.m.

It was forty years ago today. Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play.

Meanwhile I was driving a 240Z, X19, a couple of Pl-510s, & a '56 TR-3.

Then in another year I got married and reality set in!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/1/15 1:33 p.m.

40 years ago? A high chair... I missed all the really good stuff.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/1/15 5:19 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: I missed all the really good stuff.

Yeah, but you still have hair.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
5/1/15 6:59 p.m.
914Driver wrote:

GREAT POINT!!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/1/15 7:54 p.m.
Rupert wrote:
914Driver wrote:
GREAT POINT!!

..for the moment.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
5/1/15 8:34 p.m.

Being twelve and a half I was pretty unaware of the real world for the most part. I think about the fact that we lived only a few miles from Kaneohe Marine Base, regularly watching flight training exercises (thinking how cool these guys were) never giving a single thought to the fact that they were going to be in combat within weeks. As for cars we were driven around in a Mazda 1200 wagon, the poor little 65 horsepower car with the 5 of us on board would barely be doing 40 mph by the time it got to the top of the Pali. Later on my Dad bought a Plymouth Scamp, industructable but hideous to drive. Some the neighbors had cool cars; one had a V6 Capri and one of the young guys around the corner had a really cool hot rod........sadly he seemed to delight in tormenting younger kids......one day he suddenly up and left me be.....most of my friends were Samoan and they considered me family. People from Samoa do not take kindly to people messing with their family, a friend's sister apparently liked me and said something to her cousin who in turn had a discussion with Mr Hot Rod, my pal's sister fessed up right before we left to come back to the mainland. Naturally she grew up to be drop dead gorgeous.......of course she may not have stayed interested in a short Hoale guy. My brother's friend had a Caddy Coupe De Ville, we once drove it up the old Pali Hwy, the road was barely wider than the car and several of the hairpins necessitated three point turns. The "car" we loved the most belonged to a co-worker of my father; Ron Wong had primer Dodge Powerwagon but the cool factor was likely down to him rather then the truck. His family owner a small market down by Kailua beach, every morning he'd sit on the beach, smoke Pakalolo and then go for swim out to a small island that had to be half a mile from shore then swim back......this was at around 4:30 in the morning.

Tom
erohslc
erohslc Dork
5/2/15 9:32 a.m.

1969 GT6+

terp83
terp83 New Reader
5/3/15 7:53 a.m.

In 1975, the daily driver was a Forest Green 1970 BMW 2002. Second car was a 1962 Austin-Healey MKII (Tri-Carb), then painted silver. BMW is long gone, but still have the Healey, now painted white over red.

Jerry

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9S9WG4jjZxnxMlxey7OYlsy0XQb4JYqMrtmNuODmsoanRYI8sshvAlWUOHkdrdyb