1 2
Burke Bell
Burke Bell None
4/24/08 11:01 a.m.

Although I am a hard core topless fan, I agree that some cars look much better in coupe form. My 356 for example looks better in coupe form IMO (save for the Speedster). Some modern examples are the TT coupe and the rarely seen last generation XK8 coupe. Look how beautiful the new Cayman is. But, for the same $ give me a Boxster anyday. In FL it is a crime not to be topless ;)

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand None
4/24/08 11:11 a.m.

The window in that Surrey top looks exactly like a Miata hardtop window. A good source for glass, perhaps...

I think my MGB GT looks better than the MGB convertible. But that's a personal thing.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
4/24/08 12:50 p.m.

Keith, the curvature on the surrey top is considerably sharper than a Miata hardtop. More of a right angle, where the Miata is more of a gentle curve. I also think the Surry top is considerably taller, but that could be an illusion.

For whatever it's worth, I loved my B roadster, but my GT was a better car. Stiffer, better handling, more comfortable, and with the taller windscreen I could actually see a stoplight. One of these days I'll get another GT and install one of the big Webasto fold-back canvas sunroofs... best of both worlds.

Jack
Jack None
4/24/08 1:53 p.m.

The top on the TR3 has only been up for real rain and once on a 2 hour drive with my 12 year old daughter, because it was below freezing. For this former Northeast motorcyclist, cold is not an issue. In 12 years the top has been up less than a dozen times. Living in Seattle means a somewhat more temperate winter and no salt on the roads, so I get more winter driving in too.

Maybe it's me, but I love to pull up to convertibles with the top up, catch their eye and make "flipping the top back" motions.

Old age concession - I am debating adding seat heaters in the TR3 and TR8, but only becasue they have been requested by the Mrs. Surely you believe that.

Part of the reason I switched from hard contact lenses to soft ones was the open car driving. The flying grit can be brutal, even with glasses. Yeah, I considered goggles, but sun glasses are way more KEWL!

I've never noticed much wind noise. The buffetting and swirling wind in the cockpit is too severe to notice any wind noise.

. . . .and yeah, no matter who is driving it, it attracts a lot of attention.

jib

carzan
carzan None
4/24/08 2:02 p.m.

Quote by Gary: "The factory steel hardtop for my Spitrod isn't restored yet, but when it is it'll stay permanently attached to the car mainly because I think early Spitfires look better with the hardtop."

I really love the way the factory hardtops look on both the TR6s and later Spitfires, as well as the earlier ones.

That being said, while I prefer driving open air, I don't mind driving my Triumphs with the hardtops on. Back when I got my first hardtop equipped Spitfire, I used to drive it to the local hangout sometimes top down, sometimes with the hardtop on. One girl, on a night I drove top down, needed considerable explanation before being convinced that I didn't have two of the same car...one coupe, one convertible. (No the cars above are NOT mine. :grin:) -Louis-

Bret
Bret None
4/24/08 3:17 p.m.

Owning a MGB Roadster and a Porsche 928 (the essential GT) - I must say that it's pretty hard to properly equate the two or even chose what one I prefer over the other.

I love my B for when I’m cruising around town or taking a leisurely drive on the back roads in the hills around my house. But at the same time its pretty proficient at carving corners when pressed thanks to a few modifications. Love feel & short of being on a motorcycle, it’s about as out there as you can get.

On the flip side while much firmer in the twisties my GT is an extremely comfortable ride and is extremely long-legged. Ideal vehicle for getting from point A to point B quickly & comfortably while cruising down the highway at speed. I dare say I’ve never driven a vehicle before that felt more relaxed & poised at 120 mph than most modern cars feel at 65-70.

Here are my Twins -

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q1ZR4gvyrZY9uhdyWAyvRXH812JycU7Usi2AyoBw7sSkSv0Y1FLHB99JnF4pWJR4