1 2
maj75
maj75 Reader
11/27/14 8:25 a.m.

Posted on GRM forum but in light of the Triumph discussion here, I thought I'd seek opinions here. I had a '75 Spitfire and loved the car. Ever since I sold it, I've wanted a GT6 or a Spit6. I found this project in Atlanta.

Is it worth the time and trouble, or keep dreaming?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/4729319594.html

TargaToy
TargaToy New Reader
11/27/14 9:02 a.m.

In reply to maj75:

I say YES! But I have a soft spot for projects that will require much more time and money than I had imagined. And I also have no problem spending someone else's resources.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
11/27/14 9:03 a.m.

Top down outside with no protection for god knows how long. It is scrap in my mind.

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
11/27/14 9:07 a.m.

Anything can be saved, just bring cubic $$$$!

maj75
maj75 Reader
11/27/14 9:12 a.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe:

I want to hope the tarp on the rear quarter was just removed for pictures ;)

maj75
maj75 Reader
11/27/14 9:14 a.m.

What's it worth, assuming complete and non running? I think I would pay the $3K if it was a runner.

Dave
Dave New Reader
11/27/14 9:22 a.m.

I'd say that is well worth saving. Get it roadworthy then work on the cosmetics. The price might be on the high side but not totally out there.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
11/27/14 9:30 a.m.

all parts to restore with car

I'd wanna see the parts inventory. Might be a gold mine, might be an old beer box of spare parts.

slow
slow Reader
11/27/14 9:32 a.m.

I don't see anything rusted through. So it is practically new!

TeamEvil
TeamEvil HalfDork
11/27/14 9:54 a.m.

If you could grab it for a little less . . . YES ! ! ! !

With the six cylinder installed and a bit of work on the brakes, new clutch and olate, etc. That little car could be a KILLER !

Looking at the forward frame rails and such, it still looks pretty sound.

I'd own it for sure ! !

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
11/27/14 10:01 a.m.

You guys are missing one key point in the original ad. It's a spit with a gt6 engine(!)

I'm sure the interior, trans tunnel, and top are toast. But tops & interiors are still available and you can put some miata seats in as an upgrade.

that's a decent combo (I'd rock it), price is probably a little high.

We're here to enable, that's our job.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/27/14 10:06 a.m.

Yup, spit6. Take a normal spit with most of the engine ahead of the front axle centerline and then add 200 pounds! Other than cornering and ass puckering bumpsteer, it would be a lot of fun.

maj75
maj75 Reader
11/27/14 10:09 a.m.
Kendall_Jones wrote: You guys are missing one key point in the original ad. It's a spit with a gt6 engine(!) I'm sure the interior, trans tunnel, and top are toast. But tops & interiors are still available and you can put some miata seats in as an upgrade. that's a decent combo (I'd rock it), price is probably a little high. We're here to enable, that's our job.

I like the way you think! The installed 6 cyl with the GT6 bonnet is the winner for me. You can't convert a Spitfire to Spit 6 that easy. The bonnet is hard to find and you can't do the swap without it.

I'd do it up as a vintage race car so I could care less about the interior. I might even sell my '95 M3 track car and rock this one for my HPDEs.

I think I will ask about the included parts and rust.

I've got to talk to the guy I know who has a warehouse for his car collection. I'm sure he's got room in the corner for a Triumph project!

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
11/27/14 10:16 a.m.

Did a very quick internet search and find spitfires in driver condition for 5-8k. So I am going to guess that 10k will get you a very nice model.

I could put 10k on top of the purchase price of that car in no time. New suspension/ brakes/tires, and interior/top is going to eat 5k and you still have not dealt with the body. Hard to paint a car for under 5k nowadays unless you are going for ghetto.

If it were me, I would save for a driver, you already mentioned that you have another project.

maj75
maj75 Reader
11/27/14 10:16 a.m.

I sent an e-mail asking for more info. If I like what I hear is there anyone close to Jonesboro GA who could take a look at this (enable) for me?

maj75
maj75 Reader
11/27/14 10:17 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

I don't want a Spitfire, I want a Spit6. Find me one of those at any price.

maj75
maj75 Reader
11/27/14 11:03 a.m.

The PA one does look good. Seems like they put a lot of work into the body. The GT6 hood and engine might need work, but in that state, I'd never get it to Florida, too many loose parts to auto transport. If I was local, I'd own it already and find a place to store it. I'm hoping the I could toss the extra parts into the GA car and get it on an auto transport for delivery.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil HalfDork
11/27/14 2:43 p.m.

"You guys are missing one key point in the original ad. It's a spit with a gt6 engine(!)"

"With the six cylinder installed and . . ."

Not ME ! ! ! !

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
11/27/14 3:57 p.m.

I looked at a similar project several years ago. If the body is relatively rust free then its worth it.

VClassics
VClassics Reader
11/27/14 4:09 p.m.

In the mid-'70s, I lived in Santa Barbara and worked with a guy who put together a Spit 6, not with the smaller GT engine, but with a 2.5L TR-6 engine (some adaptation was required, but I don't remember what). He was a machinist, so he made his own suspension parts and could alter the geometry quite a lot on both ends. He'd go out on mountain roads and embarrass Porsches with it... It can be made to work quite well.

maj75
maj75 Reader
11/28/14 7:17 a.m.

I got an email from the seller, it is sold...

Saved again

erohslc
erohslc Dork
11/28/14 8:49 p.m.
bearmtnmartin wrote: Yup, spit6. Take a normal spit with most of the engine ahead of the front axle centerline and then add 200 pounds! Other than cornering and ass puckering bumpsteer, it would be a lot of fun.

Sure, except that folks have been successfully doing exactly that for the last 45 years and having a blast.

erohslc
erohslc Dork
11/28/14 8:54 p.m.

It all depends on the rust.
Everything else on a Spitfire is cake if you don't have to fix rust.
Even the electrical system.

So pull the rugs up and examine the floorpans and joints.

Of course, if you are an accomplished bodyman, then nearly all the repro parts are available, so even rust may not be a deal killer in that case.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/28/14 9:11 p.m.

I would pass on that car. For not much more you can get a clean runner

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
11/29/14 7:14 a.m.

I would look for a car was a GT6 that had a Spitfire body, rather than a Spitfire that had an engine swap.

On the other hand a Spitfire GT LeMann recreation would be very cool.

Leo

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nQZ2JQNLHjFVfTzh4MDnq4PRD0DHR4K8IgQbVTYlLUCo1irrQaW9MaxnMCccU4rA