1 2 3 4
TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
1/19/15 10:18 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

I really picked it wrong from an investment point of view. In the early 1980's Car and Driver came out with an article on future classics and on top of the list were the Triumph TR8 and Mustang SVO. A few years later with $10 K in my pocket I looked at Tiger and 1970 911. Based on the C & D article I picked the TR8 instead. Problem is that I've liked them ever since. Both the TR8 and SVO are genuinely undervalued IMO, but I'm fine with that because I'd like to get a SVO some day since I regard them as one of the most unique Mustangs.

Gary
Gary HalfDork
1/20/15 7:34 a.m.

I was just listening to a local Providence morning radio talk show and the host was talking to Wayne Carini live via phone. The talk show host asked him about upward trending classic car prices and especially auction prices. Carini confirmed what we already know and what's been discussed in this thread and others ... that auctions are a totally different buying/selling experience than ordinary private or retail sales. That didn't surprise me. He should know. But what he also said was that he personally will explain the effects of auction frenzy to potential clients or viewers so that they understand the huge price differential. Funny, that wasn't the case with the Forbes Life article.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
1/20/15 12:36 p.m.

In reply to Gary:

That's because he didn't get a full page article in Forbes. That's what I said from the beginning. If he had that full page, he probably could have explained more into auction prices. Forbes most likely asked him to do the section of the page in the format that Forbes needed. I saw the page, he literally had a 1/4 of the page to work with, in probably 150 words or less.

Honestly Gary, I feel like you're beating a dead horse. If you have the chance to speak to him in person, then by all means ask him about that article and see what his response is that's not in a format set up for a magazine.

Gary
Gary HalfDork
1/20/15 2:43 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: In reply to Gary: That's because he didn't get a full page article in Forbes. That's what I said from the beginning. If he had that full page, he probably could have explained more into auction prices. Forbes most likely asked him to do the section of the page in the format that Forbes needed. I saw the page, he literally had a 1/4 of the page to work with, in probably 150 words or less. Honestly Gary, I feel like you're beating a dead horse. If you have the chance to speak to him in person, then by all means ask him about that article and see what his response is that's not in a format set up for a magazine.

I suppose I am beating a dead horse on this issue. It's just that at this point in my life (old age) I've become extremely cynical of things. I agree that the article space was limited, and Forbes might even have edited his comments. So I think it would be more appropriate to speak to him about it in person. I'll try to corner him for a few minutes in Boca Raton if possible. Also, f40 Motorsports is only about an hour away from me, in Portland, CT. He said in the radio interview this morning that he welcomes visitors. I know he's approachable from experience at Lime Rock. So if for some reason I can't pull him away from his duties as grand marshall of the event in Boca I could easily make a trip over to Portland, CT. Besides, there's a great brew pub in nearby Willimantic to make it all the more worthwhile.

850Combat
850Combat New Reader
1/26/15 9:21 a.m.

Here is one on Bring a Trailer.com:

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-volvo-p1800/

Tahoe
Tahoe Reader
1/26/15 11:24 a.m.

I like Wayne Carini and his show, and I also watched as many did, the auctions with interest. Will that Volvo be a $100k car in #1 condition some day? I don't know, but I also didn't think Tigers would reach the values they have. The comments made by "the experts" in print and on TV are disturbing at times. They do drive the market and too many people believe those comments and buy #1 cars based to what they perceive to be a good investment, and not with their heart.

A little off topic, but there was a lot of huppla regarding the Ron Pratt collection and how important he is (was) to collecting. I see it differently. He wasn't a true "car guy" or he never would have sold his collection. Those who collect something and then sell it all, are speculators, and didn't do it for the love of the hobby. Yes is collection was first class. Unfortunately or fortunately for some he had an affect on collector car values.

One last observance. Is anyone else disturbed by the lack of diversity at these auctions? It appears that most bidders are in the 1% club.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i99JGHRM5Mp4r4sDw2iaiiAiN2xZ1rygHnoAGA5IRpxYw3qIqOvzsVt0cUoSHpBF