1 2
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/11/15 11:03 a.m.

I agree with the sentiment.

After all, you can do a FULL and PERFECT restoration on a car, and guess what... it's still NOT original. It just looks original.

Obviously, if you are in it for the money, it's a bad idea. For me... F, it. It's my car, I'll do what the hell I want with it. (obviously not in it for the money)

As a side note: I do plan on returning my 58 Ghia to as original as possible, but that is they way I want it. I enjoy funky old cars sometimes (not going to be making any long freeway trips in it of course). As a bonus of course, it will be worth a lot more (not going to change my life either way).

Rupert
Rupert Dork
2/11/15 12:46 p.m.

In reply to aircooled:ATTA BOY!!

white_fly
white_fly Reader
2/11/15 10:44 p.m.

We all dream, but some have been dreaming longer than others.

As a man in my 20's, it's difficult to understand how assembly-line muscle cars can bring the prices they do at auction.

That said, there are assembly-line cars that have captured my imagination. A Subaru 22B or M5 touring, for example, could be replicated. But is that what I want? A car that almost captured my imagination? A car that looks mostly like my dream?

Some dreams die, but what if your dream never dies and you have the means to acquire said dream? Why wouldn't you? In fact, why would you settle for anything less?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
2/12/15 12:08 a.m.

My dream car is now out of reach.

2000GTs are over a million now.

ronbros
ronbros Reader
2/12/15 10:42 a.m.

someone said men cant make babies,thats not quite true,actually the complete opposite.

case in point question; how many babies can a woman produce in a one year? How many babies can a man create in one year?

the old sayin, men are the creators, woman are the producers, of human life!

Yeh ,little off topic.

ronbros
ronbros Reader
2/12/15 10:54 a.m.

i'm goin with NOHOM and aircooled,on this one.

i dont think ive ever owned a completly standard car for more than a few weeks, like adding a K&N filter or just any thing that is different from anyone elses car.

its called exclusivity.

watching the latest auctions some well done resto mods are bring more money than stock restorations, seems the newer car guy generations are comin online, and they have different outlook,about cars.

ronbros
ronbros Reader
2/12/15 11:07 a.m.

to add a little more useless notions.

was at a big Oasis cars&coffee show,Austin TX, sunday, guy had an immaculate 1952 Jag XK120, bragging about how much went into, to do complete restoration.

so I said,enthusiasticly, WOW you have 1952 Gasoline in the tank,and 1952 AIR in the tires, he just looked at me kinda funny, and said NO.

so i says, well it aint absolutely ORIGINAL after all.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/12/15 11:15 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Wheels bigger than 16" on cars built from the '30s to the '80s look stupid, unless driving a cartoon is the look you're going for.

Thank you.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
2/12/15 7:52 p.m.

In reply to ronbros: Yo Bro! I'm doing red wine. What are you doing?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
2/12/15 9:37 p.m.

In reply to ronbros:

You do know the difference between RESTORED and ORIGINAL, right?

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
2/13/15 7:37 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: In reply to ronbros: You do know the difference between RESTORED and ORIGINAL, right?

OK, i'll bite...what is the difference?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/13/15 9:06 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

Original is how it came from the factory. Restored is what the restorer thinks it looked like when new.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
2/13/15 9:24 a.m.
ronbros wrote: to add a little more useless notions. was at a big Oasis cars&coffee show,Austin TX, sunday, guy had an immaculate 1952 Jag XK120, bragging about how much went into, to do complete restoration. so I said,enthusiasticly, WOW you have 1952 Gasoline in the tank,and 1952 AIR in the tires, he just looked at me kinda funny, and said NO. so i says, well it aint absolutely ORIGINAL after all.

That's the reason I don't talk to people with backwards hats and shorts down to their ankles at cars and coffee.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/13/15 1:39 p.m.
ronbros wrote: ...so I said,enthusiasticly, WOW you have 1952 Gasoline in the tank,and 1952 AIR in the tires...

That reminds of the time a guy was showing me his all aluminum body Kirkham cobra, which, kind of lost to me, was painted. Anyway, he was super proud of the BRAND NEW Blue streak radial tires on it!!

My question to him: "So... do they come new with all those age cracks in them?"

For some reason, he thought it was the coolest thing to have these 60's era tires (never used apparently) on a COPY of a car from the 60's (no where near and exact copy BTW). Didn't make a lot of sense to me. I REALLY hope he was not driving that car at any speed!

VClassics
VClassics Reader
2/13/15 4:55 p.m.

Great story, although I don't remember Blue Streaks being radials. My brother had a set on a Healey 3000 in the late '60s -- they were great on dry pavement, but hit a patch of runoff from someone watering their lawn and you'd be gone...

ronbros
ronbros Reader
2/13/15 6:13 p.m.

Rupert,me to, a red wine guy, its adds to the sillyness of all this stuff!

like the one that stopped me cold, at a car show,and this old lady says to me,(how can an old car be worth more than a new one), just looked at her with a dumb look, i said mam that is just to logical for me!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
20MqfvrX9KoAkGvpUJEfpT113gehF0zZAOkJZ1SQlx0fAPjbXeLujQQ47PY9Cp7Q