Peter Brock
Peter Brock
11/17/21 9:26 a.m.

It’s hard to believe that 51 years have raced into the distance since Nissan USA’s now legendary president, Yutaka Katayama, introduced the startlingly beautiful 240Z to the American market. Prior to Mr.K’s tenure in America, Japanese automobiles were considered second-class import citizens to the then-dominant European stars. 

This first Nissan Z changed everything. It immediately took over on import sales …

Read the rest of the story

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
11/17/21 10:40 a.m.

Why do all of the Japanese sports cars (after the 240Z) look like bricks?  If they looked like front engined Ferraris surely they would draw a large buying public.  As it is they come across as lumpish creations that may be wonderful driving cars - I guess the advantage of driving them is that you are inside them an unable to look at the exterior?

And I don't exempt other Japanese manufacturers from my critique - with a few exceptions the blah styling is universal, but one if the exceptions is the Toyota/BMW Supra/Z4 joint venture, I don't call looking like transformer toys a big step up from looking lumpish.  

RacerJ
RacerJ New Reader
11/22/21 11:40 a.m.

I loved the 240Z.  When the 350Z showed up, I thought the front grille was so oddly square/rectangular, to be downright ugly.  Then I couldn't believe it when they kept it for the 370Z.  The joke was kind of on me when I finally realized that the 240Z had a rectangular opening.  

But, I'm going to put that back on Nissan - and say the joke is on them.  They obviously think that rectangle is the "design."  But, I believe the rectangular opening was really just a consequence of the beautiful design all around that space - kind of like the hole in a donut.  The donut hole has no choice but to be round.    

So when Nissan felt it important to carry over that "design" for the 350Z, I think it was a terrible mistake.  With latest Z, it almost looks now like it works.  But it sure didn't before now.

Automobilist
Automobilist New Reader
5/5/22 3:01 p.m.

Wow, finally a new Japanese sporty car that's not overstyled / dorky, AND should have good performance.  As a former owner of a couple Datsun 240Z's, and a nice 510, this design has the clean, pure lines that really work. 

Hopefully, not too many buyers will festoon them with a plethora of wings, flares, scoops & goofy graphics... 

Da_Wolverine
Da_Wolverine
5/5/22 3:46 p.m.

Love Brock.  He lived the golden age in the generation that was crazy about cars.  His knowledge is soooo deep regarding the history of the early and late 60's, clay models, muscle cars, aerodynamics, Datsuns, Shelby, he's done it all.

Further, he writes well for a motor head.  Kudos!  Love his articles. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
40Fpv0I8gCivadQ4m1AFQa9WedHyPrIzWaGQJ9tv1DZxEiJT7zShvWJh5JpqftkJ