David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/9/22 11:12 a.m.

Fire burns hot no matter the day or occasion. It doesn’t care if it breaks out during a quiet drive through the countryside or a major race on the international scene. 

Many competition venues have required fire-suppression systems for decades. But what about your street or show car? Go back to the first sentence of this article: Fire burns hot …

Read the rest of the story

LostInTransit
LostInTransit New Reader
3/9/22 3:50 p.m.

Thanks for writing this as I'm about ready to install two small extinguishers in the Transit Connect. In fact I have two custom made bracket/panels and I've not yet decided the best place to install them. maybe for your next article you write about where the extinguisher needs to be placed.

LostinTransit

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/9/22 4:43 p.m.

I like to say that the ABC powder type basically works by destroying the thing that's on fire so that the fire can't feed on it - it works by oxidation.

AFFF is good for not only stopping the fire but also helping to save the thing that's on fire, just be aware that it's not all that good for the environment or your health, it's basically a sudsy mix of "forever chemicals:"

https://www.firerescue1.com/firefighting-foam/articles/forever-chemicals-what-firefighters-need-to-know-about-afff-and-pfas-8pdsKB4G2G1fJoIM/

David S. Wallens
3/9/22 5:48 p.m.

So, true story:

A dozen or so years ago, we took our Porsche 911 on a classic car rally. The night before leaving, I (finally) read all the paperwork.

All cars shall carry a fire extinguisher.

I can't remember if there were specifics. I think the order was that simple: Carry a fire extinguisher. 

So I hit the local big box store and bought one. I'm all set, right?

Well, the car never caught fire, but ever since then, I've had this fear that it would the moment I removed the extinguisher. I believe I even replaced the original extinguisher with another from the big box store. I forget if it was AB or ABC. 

But lately I have been wondering: Am I even carrying the right kind? I should know better, right?

Back in the day, I worked for a shop that sold halon extinguishers, but we know that halon isn't easily available these days.

So, what should I really carry? Answering that question led to this article. 

Daisy911
Daisy911 New Reader
3/10/22 11:05 a.m.

I would also suggest the Element fire extinguisher; compact, lightweight, can be store in any direction, and lasts much longer than regular 2.5 and 5 lb bottles 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/10/22 12:18 p.m.

In reply to Daisy911 :

We will check that one out.

ajmr2
ajmr2 New Reader
3/13/22 6:53 p.m.

I found this video among a couple others on the Element website.

I think we can trust Mr. Leno!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBjXecsF860&t=53s

RadBarchetta
RadBarchetta New Reader
5/9/22 3:06 p.m.

That Element extinguisher is perfect! Added to my shopping list!

(It's important to note, since it's mentioned below, that the lack of a UL rating is not because of a performance deficiency, but because UL uses antiquated testing criteria that requires a fire extinguisher to have a certain physical appearance.)

Warlock
Warlock New Reader
1/4/23 12:08 p.m.

I can vouch that the aerosol extinguishers work -- in this case, a First Alert Tundra.  An unnamed co-driver was making something in my oven that involved walnuts, and the oil from the nuts ignited...grabbed the extinguisher can off the counter, opened the oven door a crack (yes, it flashed, but we were expecting it), and put a 5-second burst inside.  Knocked the fire right out.  The burnt walnuts made a mess, but no residue from the extinguisher, and it wasn't close to exhausted (advertised to last 30 seconds).  Being an aerosol can, there are temperature limits on storage, but I've kept one in each car for a few years now without problems.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
1/4/23 10:23 p.m.

I went through Navy Firefighting instructors school.  We taught young men the art and science of fighting fires.  Not supposed to put water on an oil or fuel  fire?  The Navy does it all the time.  In fact most fires are put out that way including high voltage fires.  
    My point is there is always more than one. Way to skin a cat.  
  When that fire  is chasing oxygen and it's flashing right up on you it's very easy to panic.  Once you get over that fear a quick glance should tell you what you have to beat the fire.   The three legs of fire are fuel oxygen and heat.  Take one away and the fire is out.  I was working on  my BlackJack's fuel pump and it squirted gas at my belly. The wire I was holding sparked. Big fire in my face but a quick belly flop put it right out and I wasn't burnt in the least. OK, singed a little;-) 

The point I'm making is that panic causes most burns. It's typically fastest and easiest clean up to just starve fire of oxygen.  

kabinenroller
kabinenroller New Reader
1/5/23 10:50 p.m.

I carry a BC and an Element, both are within easy reach of the driver.

David S. Wallens
1/20/23 10:22 a.m.

Some related chatter from the Grassroots Motorsports forum: Have we had a fire extinguisher thread lately?

David S. Wallens
1/20/23 8:15 p.m.

Came across this on the way home tonight. 

erutherford
erutherford New Reader
3/19/23 2:13 p.m.

An extinguisher is part one.

Knowing how to properly extinguish a fire is part two.

Also know how your cars fuel is delivered (gravity feed, electric pump etc.)

Shut off the the source of fuel first if possible.  You can go through an extinguisher pretty darn fast without shutting off the source.

Don't open the hood real fast if there is flames, that's a big rush of air that will create a much bigger problem real quick.  Burns are the worst injury you can have!

Always snickered a little when we pulled up on an auto fire and there was 5 empty extinguishers on the side of the road and the car was still buring.  Practice using one if you get a chance.  Your local fire department probably has public classes on the proper use of extinguishers.

David S. Wallens
3/21/23 4:02 p.m.

In reply to erutherford :

Good points: know how to fight that fire as well. 

ktisdale
ktisdale New Reader
8/13/23 12:02 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qtcYsM0lIt2icDnjIS1pj9oAoa1hijwDP8WxP7NEQtYK9nIVrFmNUNosuayaFZne