1 2 3
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
4/30/15 2:44 p.m.

Something else I'd totally rock. A Corvette C3 based Daytona replica. Again I wouldn't put a Ferrari badge anywhere on it. Instead I'd put 'Chevrolet Daytona' in Ferrari style script on the back and then make up a Ferrari style Cavallino shield but with the Corvette double flag logo in black on a yellow background replacing the prancing horse.

Yes I'd have to go sock less and sport a pair of aviator glasses with Jan Hammer blasting out every where I went

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
5/1/15 11:02 a.m.
mr2peak wrote: I did a 700 mile trip in my dads MGA a few months ago. There is definitely a special feeling when driving a car with history, and that is something that can't be replicated. However, an MGA isn't a high-dollar car (not a twin cam), so not being able to afford it never crossed the table. If I built a replica, it would have to be resto-modded and significantly altered from an original for me to entertain the idea.

Going back over this thread, I noticed the MGA reference. This is a car (not really a replica of anything in particular) on an MGA platform. It still feels like an MGA, but as you said, I restomodded it with a T5 trans and tuned (c. 200 bhp) 3.4 GM V6. Not for purists, but fun anyway.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
5/4/15 3:02 p.m.

In reply to wspohn:To my mind replica and purist don't even fit into the same paragraph normally. That's a great looking car! And with that motor I expect it surprises a lot of people. Enjoy!!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/5/15 11:25 a.m.
wspohn wrote:
mr2peak wrote: I did a 700 mile trip in my dads MGA a few months ago. There is definitely a special feeling when driving a car with history, and that is something that can't be replicated. However, an MGA isn't a high-dollar car (not a twin cam), so not being able to afford it never crossed the table. If I built a replica, it would have to be resto-modded and significantly altered from an original for me to entertain the idea.
Going back over this thread, I noticed the MGA reference. This is a car (not really a replica of anything in particular) on an MGA platform. It still feels like an MGA, but as you said, I restomodded it with a T5 trans and tuned (c. 200 bhp) 3.4 GM V6. Not for purists, but fun anyway.

I think your last words in that post nail it: "fun anyway."

frenchyd
frenchyd Reader
12/22/15 12:20 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid: I recently missed out on a Jaguar XKRS that had been totaled. But had I won the bid my intention was to cut off all the smashed bits. Fabricate an aluminum center section out of aluminum and Using blocks of foam covered in bondo make the pattern for a D type.
The idea was a 550 horsepower quasi replica "D" type with modern brakes etc.. I figure between autocross, track days, and local club events I could race it a few times a year.

charly98
charly98
12/24/15 11:51 p.m.

The problem with the replicas is that they do not convey the same message, in fact kind of the opposite. So what you end up with is a semi-uncomfortable home build car that does not impress anyone and draws disdain from those who own the real cars.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
12/26/15 12:05 p.m.

Since this post came back from the dead....

In reply to charly98:

I disagree. There are actually some very well built replicas today, that in all reality, aren't more uncomfortable than their original counterpart. In fact you can make them more comfortable. They also look great, especially if the company that produces it actually assembled it. That's not to say that there hasn't been a plethora of horrible kit cars in the past, so I could understand your feelings towards them.

As for people owning the real cars having disdain towards me for owning one, I don't really care. The people who own the real cars aren't the group I'd be hanging out with anyways.

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
12/26/15 1:20 p.m.

Pur Sang 35s are pretty well accepted in Bugatti circles. Pretty amazing cars. Very expensive, but crazy accurate, hand built cars

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/11/16 6:39 p.m.

Put it to you this way. Suppose that (insert favorite sexy screen star here) came along and said to you that she/he wanted to fulfill your fantasies. But it turned out that they'd perfected cloning, and said star was merely a physically exact replica. Would you say no? I can understand looking down on a poorly designed and/or built replica car, but much of the time the "disdain" is snobbery, plain and simple. Furthermore, if the car came as a kit it represents a significant investment of time on the part of the owner. And given that 90 percent of car enthusiasts use their checkbook more than their tools, I say kudos to the man who builds (or assembles) his own!

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
1/11/16 6:56 p.m.

......vs the real thing.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
1/13/16 1:55 p.m.
I disagree. There are actually some very well built replicas today, that in all reality, aren't more uncomfortable than their original counterpart.

Especially if we are talking about the early roadsters that had only rudimentary weather protection to start with.

But there are a ton of really crappy (in appearance and execution) kits around and very few really nice ones.

If anyone is interested in my particular car, which used one of the very few kits I consider worth the garage space, you can look at

http://www.rhodo.citymax.com/f/Jamaican_Article.pdf (takes a minute to load the pdf)

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/14/16 1:34 p.m.

I think that the bar has been raised somewhat. Chopper-gun layups for instance, are relatively rare. There are still some craphead outfits out there, but there are some very good ones as well, and the good ones create a pressure on the bads to clean up their act. The internet is very useful at calling out the bads. Do a search on "Street Beasts" some time. Yow!

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
1/17/16 11:49 a.m.

In reply to wspohn: In the late 60's Harvey Park built a Jamacian on a Healy 3000 frame with a cobra Spec 289 and c4 tranny, It was awesome, though today cutting a 3000 would be an No No.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
1/18/16 10:50 a.m.

Now that I'm finally done with raising kids, paying off a mortgage and other sundry things, I would really like a nice classic to drive. The problem is most of what I like is still out of my price range, the old models aren't really dependable and even if they were, they are too harsh for this old body. Give me the classic looks and modern powertrain/ride, and I can overlook an awful lot. Just like boobs- do you really care if people look and say they're fake?...I didn't think so

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
1/18/16 12:17 p.m.

Here is a Healey-Jamaican

Looks a bit too much like a giant aubergine (eggplant) with a couple of lip studs to me, but what the heck, it sold for an ungodly amount and is now for sale again in Belgium for E55K (that is around $60K)

Flynlow
Flynlow HalfDork
1/18/16 4:38 p.m.

I like the idea of replicas. Many of the old beauties are no longer realistically priced.

I would love an original gt350. They sold new for $4500 in 1965. 50 years at 4% inflation mean a restored or like new one should be ~$32000. That seems fair. Show me where I can make that deal and I'll have cash in the sellers hand tomorrow, and will drive and enjoy the hell out of the car, not lock it away in a garage.

An original db5 was $13000, so roughly $92000 in today's dollars. I'll buy one of those for that price, too!

Since people older than I have driven prices out of the range of affordability, I'll make do in the realistic range of car enjoyment, like a restomod base muscle car for ~$30k, or an RCR GT40 for $75k.

If anyone wants to tell me how I'm doing it wrong, ill happily compare odometer readings :).

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
1/19/16 12:46 p.m.

this past winter I put a Cobra togeather for Larry Kizer, 427 side oiler, Lemans toploader 4-Speed, jag rear there are a dozen different Kits but this is a nice one.Damn FAST.prob.35K in it, so that is about 100 thousand less than a REAL one with the UpSide being you can DRIVE it rather than just look. it does look good, shown it 3 times scored 3 trophy's. BUT NO Heater so it's stashed for the rest of this Winter.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
1/19/16 6:18 p.m.

In reply to GTXVette:

You are a few decimal places short on the price differential if my maths are correct.

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
1/20/16 7:26 a.m.

Sorry, i have trouble even thinking numbers that high. I am strapped building(financing) this c-4 for the 2016 challenge, but I blame my Sawzall for that.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vUKGj81fcr2UFSblCpMn2tOs9fnt4RRRA8q0LgX6y1dE4WidEhk8hMkWB4rD5xA0