Tahoe
Tahoe New Reader
9/28/12 3:11 p.m.

I've asked this on another Forum but I now have more information. Cutting to the chase I've installed a brand new Aluminum fuel tank, new fuel lines, new fuel filter, and a year old facet fuel pump feeding dual DCOE Webers. Bottom line car will run and fuel pump pumps gas (duh) only if I insert a 1/4 inch pnuematic plastic line through the fuel tank fitting and down the fuel tank pickup tube. Now if I put a NPT fitting onto the tank (connected to the fuel pickup, and then connect a 5/16 inch fuel line to the pump I get no fuel being pumped and obviously the engine won't run. Does it seem logical that the fuel pickup tube inside the tank has an air leak preventing the fuel pump from pulling fuel, or can anyone think of another reason? As I said, new tank, new fuel lines, new fuel filter, like new fuel pump, all hooked up correctly, but no fuel unless I insert another tube into the pickup tube and then all is fine. Frustrated to say the least if it's the tank that took forever to get and wasn't cheap.

VClassics
VClassics Reader
9/28/12 4:11 p.m.

I don't know how much gas you have in the tank, but either the pickup tube isn't deep enough to reach it, or there is a leak in the pickup above the fuel level. I don't see what else it could be.

Tahoe
Tahoe New Reader
9/28/12 5:25 p.m.
VClassics wrote: I don't know how much gas you have in the tank, but either the pickup tube isn't deep enough to reach it, or there is a leak in the pickup above the fuel level. I don't see what else it could be.

I put 2 gallons in the tank. I actually inserted a borescope into the tank through the filler tube and it shows the gas level at least 1 inch proably 1 1/2 above the pickups lowest point. What I couldn't see with the borescope was any obvious cracks or leak points in the pickup tube. Must be there though as there can't be any other explaination.

rconlon
rconlon HalfDork
10/1/12 10:28 a.m.

Yes I had an issue with a rusted pickup tube in the tank causing the pump to suck air.

Cheers Ron

Tahoe
Tahoe New Reader
10/2/12 10:21 a.m.
rconlon wrote: Yes I had an issue with a rusted pickup tube in the tank causing the pump to suck air. Cheers Ron

Yea, but i bet you never had an issue with a brand new Aluminum tank like this one.

OFracing
OFracing Reader
10/2/12 5:58 p.m.

I had a fuel cell pickup line collapse from the draw of the pump, cutting off fuel. In your case, I'd suspect a manufacturing defect in the pick up line, either a crack or void. Can you attach the pump to the pneumatic line and, while it's pumping gas into a bucket, very slowly, draw the line out. If the fuel stops pumping, your leak or problem is below that point. If it continues to pump until it's all the way at the top, above the fuel level, I'd suspect the tube is OK but it's poorly attached to the tank and hold a vacuum.

my 2 cents worth.

mike

Tahoe
Tahoe New Reader
10/3/12 10:42 a.m.

Mike,

That's what I did last night. I inserted a nylon line down the existing pick up tube. While the pump was running, I pulled the nylon line out slowly until it didn't pump anymore. It appears the void/crack/whatever is near the top somewhere. It is very frustating as this tank has been returned to the manufacturere twice before for other issues and now this. I know most would send it back and demand their money back, however I've decided to keep it because I won't get all my money back, and I'll have to wait another 2-3 months to buy another tank from another source. I'm fixing the problem by inserting the nylon tube and sealing it at the top with a compression fitting, and then another compression fitting at the pump. This should work indefitely until I can pull the tank again and fix it properly.

KevinScott
KevinScott
12/8/12 1:52 a.m.

I think so you should take your car to a good mechanic or use a good quality gasoline for example 91 or 93. NJ limo

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/21/13 12:44 p.m.

CANOE

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1E84ttRlOBS95k2Z3o32DYcZmavI641hUa0MVEFU2wb83QEYwqA2m2UCsedl1I1w