TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
2/21/13 2:58 p.m.

Narrowed it down to one of these five choices....

1) TR8 Coupe. Has to be a coupe because I already have a convertible. Also recently purchased a TR7 vintage race car that I may convert to a TR8 when I eventually get it on the track. I know I'm an oddball, but I actually think the wedges look cool and having three of them would be even cooler.

2)GT6. Because I've always thought the lines of the 69/70 GT6+ is way so sexy. Has to be a GT6+ for me though. I owned/raced Spitfires but always wanted a GT6+.

3)Datsun 240Z. No expanation needed.

4)Jensen-Healey. Because its just like the TR8 - a low production under appreciated cool British car.

5)Porsche 944. I leaning towards the early turbos after doing some research. I know the later varients had the bugs worked out but I like the earlier ones. Downside is that its probably the only car on the list that I may not attack all the mechanicals by myself.

I'm not in any rush but will take my time until the right car pops up. I'll probably buy which ever one on the list shows up first.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
2/21/13 4:20 p.m.

We are building a jenson healey for 2013 challenge

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
2/21/13 4:50 p.m.

I see no issues at all on your list, in fact 3 of them are on mine! Add in a 911 and TR2 through 6 and you pretty much have it!

Raze
Raze SuperDork
2/21/13 5:53 p.m.

What about an MGB GT?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/21/13 6:46 p.m.

Why go with the easy answer?

VClassics
VClassics Reader
2/21/13 6:48 p.m.

Not in the market right now, but someday I'd like to dig up a Fiat 850 Spider, or better yet a Coupe. We live on a hilly island with lots of twisty roads and no speed limits over 55 MPH. Speed is relative, and there's a funkiness factor I find appealing.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/21/13 6:57 p.m.

There are a still a few on the list, waiting to be "ticked off":

• Longhood 911. Although the way prices are going, this might become a pipe dream.
  • Acura NSX.
  • A tasty Italian car - not quite sure what yet, maybe shudder a cheap-ish Maserati, although I have a soft spot for Alfa Bertones, Alfa V8s and Guilias.

All I need to do is somehow find the money to pay for them. There lies the real problem.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
2/21/13 8:25 p.m.

If I were to have done it all over again.

Porsche 993.

When ever my wife asks me to give up racing I reply 993...

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
2/21/13 10:03 p.m.

I really like the early 911's but they are off my list because you just can't get one for about $10 K any more. All the other cars on the list can be had for about that price. If they were still in the same price range they'd be #1 on the list. I owned a pair of Porsche 356's in the past and sold them before the prices became absurdly obscene. But even if they still were around ten grand I wouldn't get another one. Sort of a case of been there done that I suppose. You can get the same sensation in a souped up Ghia or bug.

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
2/21/13 10:08 p.m.

What about an MGBGT?

What about one? Sorry but they do nothing for me. Maybe an MGCGT or definately the MGBGT V8, but the B version doesn't interest me

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
2/22/13 7:59 a.m.

I would elan towards the 240Z. These cars are really moving in the market and are great cars. Buy one now or buy one later for more money.

Sadly, I do not see the 944 doing much in the market and I really like those cars.

The TR8 coupe is a neat, rare and interesting car but hard to locate. Find the best one available if you can. I think they will eventually be worth more that the $8,500 they seem to change hands for now.

RPSadler
RPSadler New Reader
2/22/13 11:55 a.m.

RHD Mustang from Aust... easy to import and a total "WTF" from all who see it.

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
2/22/13 3:45 p.m.

They made around 175,000 944's so I can't see them ever being big ticket items. In contrast only around 2500 TR8's were produced with only a small % being coupes. TR8 club estimates only about 1500 TR8's are still left. The Jensen Healy was also produced in low numbers.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/22/13 7:39 p.m.

There are a bunch of 944s that appear to be creeping up in price, mainly really nice 944 turbos and 944S2s. From recent asking prices on places like Pelican, it looks like at S2s have been going up at about $1k/year and I noticed recently that turbos - especially the turbo S - also seem to be upward bound.

The cooking versions seem to be stuck between $5k and $8k for a really nice one though, but there are a ton of dogs around. I think once these disappear from the market, the regular ones might start going up in value slightly, too.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
2/28/13 11:08 a.m.

I ahve no problem with your list. My desire is to get another TR-3, but the prices are just stupid high now. I wouldn't kick a TR-4, 5 , 6 or 8 out of bed either. Or a decent GT-6. When I was in high school, the tough decision for me was deciding whetehr I would buy a TR-6 or a 240Z. Of course I got neither. I have no great desire for a 944.

I figure I got one sport car purchase/restoration left in me. So the first one for the best money is going to be it.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
2/28/13 3:46 p.m.

I already have a 944 and love it.

LWB 912.

AW11 MR2.

Classic mini

Meyers Manx

Garage done.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T1oWlTTE1lxzpYtzRk3RL1NSHNNwUVCeoAiYX6J3v0YtDc7iW5hm0u31PmGYef0h