Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/27/21 7:57 a.m.

In reply to Bardan :

A nice MGB is worth $20,000-30,000 now.

kkusu5591
kkusu5591 New Reader
12/30/21 8:32 a.m.

I'm one step into the game. Already own one of the cars listed. Opel GT.

vidmate

mobdro

Automobilist
Automobilist New Reader
5/10/22 2:20 p.m.

The basic premise of the article is a big part of the problem.  Choosing a vintage car based on speculative future value...

Long before there was a plethora of classic car auction companies, thare were classic car folks. They bought and DROVE vintage cars for the sheer fun and adventure of it. No one was strategizing their purchases based on future value.  You bought, fixed, & drove the type or model cars you loved. 

Then came the auction houses capitalizing on proximity to big shows. The "Classic Motorsports" type of magazines, geared to the "collector".  "Curated" cruises through wine (or orange...) country, instead of simply hitting the road with no destination.

Up sprang an online site that featured odd, weird, or simply decrepit old cars found for sale.  The concept, was that you had to bring a trailer along to drag it home. But even they morphed into the ridiculously high-end stuff, along with their fees.  $175,000 restomod Land Cruisers?

The common guy who just wants to cruise around in an old MG is largely ignored by these money machines.  Replaced by the fat greybeard exuberantly bidding on an over-restored restomod Chevelle at Mecum, or buying another Ferrari on BaT.

The vintage car world felt much cooler when it was simply for the love of the car...

mbrouill
mbrouill New Reader
5/11/22 12:02 p.m.

I know you're trying to get the people with more money than sense to read the magazine, but the common Joe who is looking for a "classics-you-should-buy-now" is looking at a sub $30,000 bargain that might appreciate as they enjoy it on a nice sunny day.  No one I know is looking for a $100,000+ car.  There are still some great cars that can be bought that will interest that demographic you need to sustain your magazine for the future.  How about the Honda S2000 or a 6 cylinder BMW Z3, or the Mazda RX7, or maybe the Pontiac Solstice Coupe?  The list you have is all fine and dandy, but  give that new generation hope that something they see on the road today will be the collectible of tomorrow...

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
5/12/22 11:04 a.m.

I agree with the previous poster - everything I own has been called a collectable, but there are lots of other lower priced cars that fall into the same category and should be exposed to those who might be interested in joining the club if it doesn't cost them XKE money.

(PS to the last poster - already have my Solstice GXP coupe nailed - bought it new in 2009)

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/12/22 11:38 a.m.

Come on GRM, you guys are better than this.  A light refresh of an older article with a click bait title listing all the next big thing from the classic car market 15 years ago.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
YWDbmbaKqk8s5AxgD9Qxk2mFLjrXhLnN612VN3qA8kNB8murKuAvdWFMwvwREOMq