David Wallens
David Wallens Editorial Director
4/20/08 4:34 p.m.

While at the local used bookstore this afternoon I found a copy of "Unsafe At Any Speed." It's not a first-edition, but still an early copy judging by its 1966 publication date. Condition is okay. Price: $3.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
4/20/08 4:46 p.m.

Did you burn it? :twisted:

Bret
Bret None
4/20/08 5:35 p.m.

Snort! :nice: Too funny.

Dwight Varnes
Dwight Varnes None
4/21/08 5:46 a.m.

I read that book many, many years ago. Knowing what I know about cars, I found it to be built on speculation as much as fact. Other than the chapter on the Corvair, it's actually pretty tedious and boring IIRC.

KaptKaos
KaptKaos None
4/21/08 10:26 a.m.

A book by Nader boring? Unpossible!

David Wallens
David Wallens Editorial Director
4/21/08 4:45 p.m.

I figured it's part of automotive history and should at least have a copy. I also picked up "Sports Car Rallies, Trials and Gymkhanas." It's a how-to book from 1956. The book includes TSD rally tables, too. That one cost me 10 bucks.

pjr300
pjr300 None
4/21/08 10:26 p.m.

Nader pummelled the Corvair to make his name. A Corvair is "unsafe at any speed?" Come on, be real. They were run on race tracks but too unsafe for consumers?

He still doesn't know when to stop. Nader is running for preseident again... for what purpose? He cost Gore the election in 2000. I am sick of his holier-than-thou attitude.

Ralph Nader can kiss my turbo charged Spyder.

Dwight Varnes
Dwight Varnes None
4/22/08 5:37 a.m.

"He still doesn't know when to stop. Nader is running for preseident again... for what purpose? He cost Gore the election in 2000."

And this was a bad thing? :grin: Gore's global warming movie is about as realistic as Nader's book was. Some facts, lots of speculation and hysteria. Either would have been an equally lousy leader (as was the one we wound up with, to be fair to all).

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
4/22/08 6:47 a.m.

I voted for Gore, and I honestly believe he would have done a pretty decent job, but -- without sparking a poliitical debate -- if he couldn't show that he was clearly a better choice than Bush, he didn't deserve to win. That goes double for John Kerry.

pjr300
pjr300 None
4/22/08 9:44 p.m.

Also won't start a debate, but.... the last 8 years have been pretty miserable.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill None
4/25/08 7:59 a.m.

I hope you bought the book. I've been told the mention of the Corvair in the book is minor.

gjz30075
gjz30075 None
4/25/08 12:32 p.m.

I, too, have a 1966 copy, bought new by my dad back then. It was also marked as "originally $5.95" with a line through the price, and "now $1.00" printed on the cover.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A1K4Yqk7gM4s9sJK3elmtcCvNhxmw1v4tzu5gMeNhn1AikCxMDezY4yxT9BwgJpM