1 2
Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
1/14/15 8:41 a.m.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
1/14/15 9:03 a.m.

Is this all of the information you can give us? Good on that kid for being a fan of The Gap Band, by the way, but can he type something up, or at least find us more pictures?

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
1/14/15 9:13 a.m.

That is all the information except owner looked up value on Hagerty WTF ?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
1/14/15 9:18 a.m.

Lowest auction sale I found was $9500.00 and that would have been a running, driving car.

I wouldn't pay more than $2k provided that everything is still there.

maseratiguy
maseratiguy New Reader
1/14/15 9:05 p.m.

I'm not a big fan of Deloreans even in nice shape. So I have nothing constructive to say.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
1/14/15 9:18 p.m.

What do you think a SS bodied Lotus Esprit with a Volvo engine in "ran when parked" condition is worth? Agreed on $2000, tops.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/15/15 5:52 a.m.

So it sounds like you guys are empowering Karl to bring this DeLorean to the challenge next year.

spin_out
spin_out Reader
1/15/15 6:41 a.m.

My guess would be $8,000.

WilD
WilD HalfDork
1/16/15 8:34 a.m.

I don't think Hagerty lists values for parts cars. Unless it ran when parked last Tuesday and the patina is photo-shopped in, I think $2000 is pretty realistic number. Possibly too much depending on how rotten it is underneath that stainless skin.

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
1/17/15 1:27 a.m.

I would guess that the asking price is $25k firm, but to be worth buying $2k-$3500 depending on rust, interior, etc sounds reasonable.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/17/15 9:48 a.m.

Don't these have a steel "backbone" that is prone to rusting? This one being stored outside is probably not so clean underneath.

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
1/17/15 9:58 a.m.

so the hagerty guide says a condition #4 (running driver - fair condition) is $13,400. So a non-runner would be maybe half that as a high. Potential for chassis rot, all the non-functioning hydraulics, rubber parts, etc would put me in the mind of $2-3k.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/15 10:59 a.m.

We need an update Karl. Did you buy this thing?

850Combat
850Combat New Reader
1/21/15 10:27 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: What do you think a SS bodied Lotus Esprit with a Volvo engine in "ran when parked" condition is worth? Agreed on $2000, tops.

Do not confuse that car with a Lotus. Yes, Lotus did the production engineering and did design the chassis. The stupid heavy lump of a motor and its placement behind the rear axle id all Delorian. There was only so much Lotus could do within those parameters.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
1/24/15 11:53 p.m.

Also curious if you bought it? And if you did pm me if you want to sell it.

drdisque
drdisque New Reader
1/25/15 9:56 p.m.

Actually the heavy lump of a motor is a Peugeot/Renault and the gearbox is a Renault. I suspect the initial concept included something more exciting in the drivetrain department than a bland French V6, but that's what fit and was available.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
1/25/15 10:26 p.m.

In reply to drdisque:

The original concept was, I believe, a Citroen 2.0 inline-4. As the car gained weight during development they went for something with more torque.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
1/25/15 10:27 p.m.

Go get this thing for the right money. Go get those BiTurbo's. Put one of the BiTurbo engines into the DeLorean. Blow minds.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
1/25/15 11:12 p.m.
850Combat wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote: What do you think a SS bodied Lotus Esprit with a Volvo engine in "ran when parked" condition is worth? Agreed on $2000, tops.
Do not confuse that car with a Lotus. Yes, Lotus did the production engineering and did design the chassis. The stupid heavy lump of a motor and its placement behind the rear axle id all Delorian. There was only so much Lotus could do within those parameters.

I know that, but that's how you've gotta think when trying to put a value on a car like this.

850Combat
850Combat New Reader
1/26/15 10:14 a.m.

The Delorean lacks the attributes that make me want to but a Lotus. The very things that make a Lotus attractive in the first place, the driving experience, are not available in a Delorean. Owning a Delorean would be akin to putting up with a Lotus, but without having the driving experience. For me personally, that separates them.

I'm not sure how many Americans that Delorean, Colin Chapman, and Fred Bushel, a Lotus executive were accused of defrauding the government of about 30 million dollars. Delorean stole about half, Chapman about 45%, and Bushell the rest. Bushell is the only one who did time. Chapman died of a heart attack at 56 before being indited, and Delorean fled the UK never to return. He would have been arrested had he ever returned. Everyone saw the videos on the news of Delorean with his suit case filled with cocaine, back in the day.

http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/cref-busfre.html

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns14460.html

VClassics
VClassics Reader
1/26/15 11:04 a.m.

The engine was a joint Peugeot - Renault - Volvo development that ended up being used in all sorts of cars for many years. Although early models had cam oiling problems, that was fixed in later versions and nearly a million were produced for close to two decades. There were turbo and bi-turbo variants.

Wikipedia write-up

There used to be a Volvo 262 rally car based in the Portland, OR area that was fitted with a turbo version (although Volvo never went to that from the factory) -- it was seriously fast. There are two turbo Deloreans I know of up here north of Seattle.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
1/26/15 11:10 a.m.
850Combat wrote: The Delorean lacks the attributes that make me want to but a Lotus. The very things that make a Lotus attractive in the first place, the driving experience, are not available in a Delorean. Owning a Delorean would be akin to putting up with a Lotus, but without having the driving experience. For me personally, that separates them. I'm not sure how many Americans that Delorean, Colin Chapman, and Fred Bushel, a Lotus executive were accused of defrauding the government of about 30 million dollars. Delorean stole about half, Chapman about 45%, and Bushell the rest. Bushell is the only one who did time. Chapman died of a heart attack at 56 before being indited, and Delorean fled the UK never to return. He would have been arrested had he ever returned. Everyone saw the videos on the news of Delorean with his suit case filled with cocaine, back in the day. http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/cref-busfre.html http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns14460.html

We'll argue about that in another thread someday, but I believe that Delorean was innocent and he does too.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
1/26/15 3:42 p.m.

I do miss the 80's!

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
1/26/15 7:11 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

Everything I've read suggests he beat the rap on a technicality.

The car itself is a nothing special but definitely has an interesting enough history which might make it collectible.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
2/9/15 10:08 a.m.

I just looked at one yesterday, listed at $7500, and the owner would not budge on the price. It looked WAY worse than this one. If any of you that say it's worth 2k are actually finding Delorean projects for sale at that price please let me know.....I'll buy them and give you a finders fee.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6aUIUhG70N6pMe6Yctze18LnzuofPi0GUyJjJHHgzqVHI0WmuHyuNqzfal2NxSuh