1 2
Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
2/10/15 7:22 p.m.

Considering how much a replacement fender costs, there is no Delorean with any good body panel that is only worth $2k. Sadly.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
2/10/15 7:28 p.m.

Sadly, when you get right down to it, they're not great cars.

The only thing making these things worth any money at all is their kitch value.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
2/10/15 10:20 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Sadly, when you get right down to it, they're not great cars. The only thing making these things worth any money at all is their kitch value.

They don't have to be great cars to be fun and or valuable. Panteras are not 'great cars' and they keep climbing, same with many other valuable classics.

850Combat
850Combat New Reader
2/11/15 7:52 a.m.

Pantera styling has held up well, though. Really well. The DMC 12 was odd looking when new.

WilD
WilD HalfDork
2/11/15 8:13 a.m.
Vigo wrote: Considering how much a replacement fender costs, there is no Delorean with any good body panel that is only worth $2k. Sadly.

But this isn't a fender, it's a derelict car. Many things are not worth the sum of their parts.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
3/3/15 1:44 p.m.

I'd buy it for $2k and part it out on ebay. The front fenders are worth big money.

Turn it into a fairly quick 100% profit.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
3/8/15 4:22 p.m.
But this isn't a fender, it's a derelict car. Many things are not worth the sum of their parts.

That's when the cars gets parted out for more money than it's worth as a whole. You seriously think this car is only worth $2k?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
3/8/15 5:15 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

Parting a car out is a lot of time/labor. It might be a $5000+ heap of parts but it takes many hours of disassembly and cleaning to carefully turn it from a derelict car to aforementioned pile of presentable parts, plus the time it takes to photograph and list it all up for sale.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
3/10/15 9:37 p.m.

There are tons of people on here with worse ideas then parting out a $2000 delorean for profit, and we encourage those ideas all the time.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
3/11/15 11:13 a.m.

DeLoreans have gone up in value a lot in the last decade or so. I doubt you can touch a complete one for $2000 no matter what the condition. $7000 or so sounds right.

What you think of the car has no impact on its value to the open market.

WilD
WilD HalfDork
3/11/15 11:42 a.m.

In reply to Vigo:

I did a quick scan of current classified listings online and ratty drivers start asking around $25K and nice ones are asking low 30s. The car in question here looks like it could need everything. Maybe it's not as bad as it looks, but if a buyer is looking to purchase this to restore as a car to use, I don't think it's worth a whole lot. It might be worth a fortune as parts though and I'm just stating my opinion based on the largely arbitrary amount of money I would consider a good deal. I don't find a good one all that tempting at thirty grand either. So, it may very well be worth more than two grand.

I guess it comes down to how much money would need to be spent to bring this car up to the level of a very good condition driver.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
3/13/15 10:56 p.m.

This is why most of you are in the "buy high, sell low" part of the hobby.

It might be worth a fortune in parts, if that's true, whatever it needs to be a functional car again is also worth a fortune.

I'm surprised there's no biturbo owners looking to buy a more reliable car in this thread.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/14/15 8:23 a.m.

In reply to Trans_Maro:

Thanks, now I have the crazy idea to somehow morph a BiTurbo, DeLorean and that cheap Rolls over in the Classified into some kind of monstrosity...

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
3/14/15 10:36 a.m.

Combining Irish, Italian and English vehicles?

That could lead to being curled up in a corner, weeping and mumbling to yourself.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UkpnaVn8qUh3nmd4x6lTDGTe4VGtJydyJzUdGGpxsJ9MzoQml1FJTDBjxleMg3cp