1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/22/13 3:07 p.m.

It's not too much of a classic, but I admit that our Subaru wagon gets a ton of use. It's just so handy. (How come my parents never had a wagon when we were kids?)

Anyway, this weekend I was talking to guy with a '61 Chevy wagon. Again, that just seems like a neat, usable classic.

So, what does the group think about wagons? Practical or boring? Or somewhere in between?

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/22/13 4:02 p.m.

Periodically I look at an interesting wagon, then consider that at least one of my favorite vintage road rallys doesn't allow them (or trucks, which is why I passed on a nice rotary pickup). Bummer, because There's a couple of old Volvos, Datsun 510 as well as a few others that I'd love to add to my stable.

VClassics
VClassics Reader
4/22/13 5:48 p.m.

My ideal shop vehicle would be a Volvo Duett (with some mechanical tweaks).

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
4/22/13 8:53 p.m.
kreb wrote: Periodically I look at an interesting wagon, then consider that at least one of my favorite vintage road rallys doesn't allow them (or trucks, which is why I passed on a nice rotary pickup). Bummer, because There's a couple of old Volvos, Datsun 510 as well as a few others that I'd love to add to my stable.

Interesting. I can understand pickups, but wagons are just sedans with a little more trunk to hold a lot more junk.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
4/22/13 9:16 p.m.

510 wagons don't look bad

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/22/13 10:09 p.m.
BAMF wrote: I can understand pickups, but wagons are just sedans with a little more trunk to hold a lot more junk.

They have a character of their own, and what is the vintage automobile passion if not about character?

impster
impster Reader
4/23/13 5:12 a.m.

I've always loved wagons, my first being a purple Olds Vistacruiser with a 3 spd manual conversion. Traded it to a friend straight across for a really nice tent - guess it wasn't worth all that much to others. Then there was the 60s era Dodge which I cut a hole in the roof so I could use it to deliver the Denver Post before going to my regular job in a small 3 bay garage. Our '94 BMW 525it is my alltime favorite car that I've owned, hands down. And of course there are all the hatchbacks I've had which are to me just pint sized wagons (Simca 1204, Fiesta - had 5 total, '85 Honda Civic S, '87 Civic SI). Have been hooked on wagons (& hatches) ever since and I'm on my 4th Volvo wagon now.

They're just too darn convenient. The space (& sometimes more) of a SUV with the improved handling of a car.

My dream wagon for cruising while retired? A Jensen GT or a Volvo P1800es.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
4/23/13 7:28 a.m.

Honestly, I would love either a full size or mid size wagon from the 60's. However, I would put a newer drivetrain in it with a 4-speed automatic, air shocks in the rear, and a trailer hitch out back.

My choices would be (in no particular order):

1965 Chevelle Wagon

1969 Biscayne Wagon

1970 Olds Vista Cruiser

I have more, but I can't find any descent pictures of them.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
4/23/13 8:28 a.m.

We currently have four wagons: my 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, a '96 Volvo 850T wagon and (2) '73 Volvo 1800ES "sport" wagons. I've been a wagon fan since before I could drive. I talked my parents into buying a 1985 Subaru GL wagon, despite my father's initial objections. My other has owned wagons ever since ('95 Subie and the current V50). One of my favortie Matchbox cars as a child was a Cougar Villager - which to this day remains my dream collector-car unicorn.

My other half has also had numorous wagons throughout her life, starting with her parents' '71 Mercury and through a couple of Volvos.

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
4/23/13 12:26 p.m.
kreb wrote:
BAMF wrote: I can understand pickups, but wagons are just sedans with a little more trunk to hold a lot more junk.
They have a character of their own, and what is the vintage automobile passion if not about character?

Agreed, I was more meaning I can't understand why they aren't permitted considering how they are usually cars rather than trucks.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/23/13 1:28 p.m.

I really want a '70 AMC Rebel Wagon or a '72 Gran Torino Wagon.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
4/23/13 5:09 p.m.

I always wanted one that was the wagon version of a great Club Racing car to serve as my "metal tent" while working corners on race weekends. Someone's already mentioned the 510, I kind of wanted an RX-3 wagon, just to be different. They haven't all returned to the Earth..

impster
impster Reader
4/24/13 5:56 a.m.

Speaking of cool "station wagons", check out the new offering on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Murena-GT-RARE-1-10-EVER-MADE-LOW-MILES-DOCUMENTED-/171028707659?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27d21af94b

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
4/25/13 8:31 a.m.

I been considering getting a classic wagon to take my grandson camping. What spawned this idea was seeing an old Plymouth Suburban wagon (think Plymouth version Nomad) in Smokemont campground years ago driven by an old,old fellow and his wife. This car was cherry and it was kind of a Norman Rockwell moment. I've actually looked for one of these or a 59-60 Rambler American wagon, but finding one in good condtion is tough and I probably don't really want to go that old school. That leaves me looking around for Volvo wagons, from 122s to Cross Countrys. Just to show how stupid I am, I have a pretty nice 99 4runner already in the driveway.

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
4/25/13 10:47 a.m.

I wish wagons would bounce back in popularity and kill off the SUV.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
4/25/13 11:38 a.m.

my uncle just got himself a very clean 80s caprice wagon. he doesnt even have kids to shuttle around anymore or anything, he just bought it because he thinks its awesome. I think he uses it for weekends/road trips/tow a very small camper trailer.

He would probably like a lot of the same automotive websites as me, haha. He's had a lot of various cars over the years, many that were unique/interesting

rconlon
rconlon HalfDork
4/25/13 11:49 a.m.

A small Japanese wagon has always interested me.
Civics, Coronas and Corollas were uncommon and practical. They still are. Fiat made 124 and 128 versions and others. Cheers Ron

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
4/25/13 1:09 p.m.
rconlon wrote: A small Japanese wagon has always interested me. Civics, Coronas and Corollas were uncommon and practical. They still are. Fiat made 124 and 128 versions and others. Cheers Ron

Oh, man..I could so rock one of the old 4WD Civic wagons. Wasn't bravenrace working on putting his dad's back together? I thought he had a build thread, but I can't find it ATM.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/25/13 1:46 p.m.

Why wouldn't you rock something like this everyday? In a world of silver jelly beans and minivans, this thing actually looks classy.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/25/13 1:47 p.m.

Rupert
Rupert Reader
4/25/13 3:04 p.m.

My wife had two different Civic Wagons in the 80's. They looked just like the ad shown above except hers were both 2 wheel drive. Thirty plus mpg and she drove at about 80mph everyday on the freeway to and from work.

We once went to an office warehouse and bought a full size office desk. Putting the back seats down, it came home in the Civic Wagon!

The only reason our DD today is a Honda Fit is they quit selling the Civic Wagon. It doesn't hold quite as much as the Civic did, but it gets over 38mpg on long trips fully loaded.

I remember my mother had a '58 Chevy Bel Air Wagon. It was White over Turquoise. Unfortunately she sold it before I was old enough to borrow it for dating!

BTW: Once when my rally 240Z was tore down my rally partner and I entered a SCCA Regional Rally in the Civic Wagon. We didn't win that day but placed and got end of the year points in the Civic.

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
5/1/13 1:35 p.m.

I love my old wagon(s). I've had a '67 Volvo 122 wagon for several years now and we love it. It's not too big and not too small, just the right size for cruising and actually using. The car is rock solid reliable, gets looks everywhere, has plenty of aftermarket support, and is easy to maintain when necessary. It gets fantastic fuel economy and is built to actually use, like a European pickup. I use mine to haul car parts for other projects all the time, and anytime we go camping we bring the 122...it's the perfect size for all of our camping gear plus room for the dog and a cooler.

As the title states, the wagon is absolutely practical. I have a soft spot for wagons, as witnessed by my recent purchase and revival of an Opel Kadett wagon as well, because they're a classic that you can actually use. Sure, you're not going to do many track days in an old wagon (without a LOT of work) but not every car in the fleet has to be a race car and it's a heck of a lot more fun than a modern wagon or minivan if you can stand to live without the latest in safety and creature comforts.

Bryce

Audiracer
Audiracer None
5/2/13 5:36 a.m.

I love my 2001 Audi S4, somewhat modified. But with 165,000 miles on it, still burns zero oil . Fast and furious. But practical. I can load my entire mobile automotive studio in the back. Take out the rear seat cushion and the floor folds flat. http://art-racing.com/site/#/gallery/2013-the-mitty/t-m-2013-272/

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
5/3/13 9:50 p.m.

'wagon' is one of my go to Craigslist searches. I usually start with 'lotus' then a few others, then 'wagon'. I would love to have a Corvair wagon or a Falcon/Comet wagon......damn, just saw a '75 Opel 1900 wagon for $2500.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
5/3/13 10:02 p.m.

Double damn, now I see a '61 Falcon wagon listed for $1000 and willing to negotiate. This one seems to be in pieces - no pics, and not too much info in the ad to go by.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dAvwG4G5EpyuDlQLDv2Tl6AGg1sK3AXxQKBZUkN2Jugief49vnZj9hzX9PTrMU1O