1 2
jcme0557
jcme0557 New Reader
3/9/23 8:44 a.m.

I love reading about people actually work on and drive their "classic" cars.

Sure its impressive that some rich guy has a dozen Ferraris that are worth $$$ millions. Or someone else who spent seven figures buying and paying to restore a priceless Porsche. That stuff is great and good for them.

But, I'm not part of that end of the "hobby." I can only afford so much classic car and I rely mostly on myself to keep it running. That's why I like reading about (and hanging out with) regular people and their regular classics cars...no matter how loosely you define "classic car." Who cares if it's grandpa's Model A, the Plymouth K-car owned since college, or the Camaro you wanted (but could never afford) in high school...they are all valuable to the people who drive and live and wrench on them. 

Thanks for celebrating those cars, their owners, and their stories.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
3/9/23 2:50 p.m.

In reply to jcme0557 :

Thank you for sharing your perspective! We're glad that you enjoy what we do. Whether's a multimillion-dollar Ferrari you bought or a MG you fixed up, we love telling that story and being your personal guide to the classic sports car world.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/9/23 6:33 p.m.
jcme0557 said:

I love reading about people actually work on and drive their "classic" cars.

Sure its impressive that some rich guy has a dozen Ferraris that are worth $$$ millions. Or someone else who spent seven figures buying and paying to restore a priceless Porsche. That stuff is great and good for them.

But, I'm not part of that end of the "hobby." I can only afford so much classic car and I rely mostly on myself to keep it running. That's why I like reading about (and hanging out with) regular people and their regular classics cars...no matter how loosely you define "classic car." Who cares if it's grandpa's Model A, the Plymouth K-car owned since college, or the Camaro you wanted (but could never afford) in high school...they are all valuable to the people who drive and live and wrench on them. 

Thanks for celebrating those cars, their owners, and their stories.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/10/23 10:24 a.m.

In reply to jcme0557 :

The Jaguar above was one of a pair of Jaguars I bought for $1000 both rust free and stored inside for 30+ years for the 1972 and 20 years for the 1985. 
 The 72 has only 53,000 miles on it nice interior, no cuts or rips or tears in the leather even the original  wool carpets still are nice and clean.   The Green one (1985)  Has 98,000 miles on it. I'm servicing  it and giving it to my granddaughter. 
    My point is there are still low cost deals out there. $500 each  is affordable and the cost to return to service is trivial.   It turns out I have the wax and leather conditioner Grease, oils coolant, etc.  already on hand. The local NAPA has the required filters. Plugs,fan belts, wipers  etc. new tires were very affordable at Tire Rack. 
  I'm dawdling getting the 1985 ready so it won't be exposed to the salt we put on the roads all winter.  The  1972 will get a buff and a trailer hitch to pull a Jaguar race car around.  I'll take a splash mold off the back fenders of the 1972 and use that as part of my trailer. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/10/23 10:20 p.m.

Finding real bargains can take a very long time to do.  
  Another approach is typically the way I do it.  I'll buy some worn out hulk for a few hundred dollars and then slowly as funds allow buy the pieces and parts needed to restore it.  
  There is no interest cost in that method but two dangers exist.  First that you get discouraged and lose interest.  It sits until you sell it or give up on it entirely. 
    Second it the cost of even minor parts feel the effects of inflation.  
   The rotor on a V12 used to be a $12 item.  Now it's $149.00.   There are countless examples like that.     Used taillights assemblies were readily available and if not pristine sold very cheap.  Today they aren't available used and reproduction pieces are shockingly expensive.  

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
3/13/23 10:44 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

That's great advice, frenchyd! Thank you for sharing.

matheus013
matheus013 New Reader
7/11/23 9:40 a.m.

hi

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher Emeritus
2/23/24 7:26 a.m.

In reply to BGarlandJr :

Cool story!

wspohn
wspohn UltraDork
3/31/24 12:47 p.m.

The fleet at one point:

62 MGA Mk 2 coupe, 09 Solstice GXP coupe, Lamborghini Islero S, Jensen Interceptor

Other side:

69 MGC, 1965 Jensen CV8

Three of them are gone now but two more have been added.  I need a hobby that takes up less space! (I'm quoting my wife)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GfmlmcWgoJZu8LcMn5WhvdWaeYdrWLmJ7FKn08FsMVaXcxz1oe5gKFNrRDpSpSvB