1 2 3 ... 5
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/19/09 7:42 p.m.

Okay, with the Group 44 GT6+ about done, we are cleaning up the project car garage and figuring out what is next.

We have to sort a few things on the GT6+, then jump back on to the Tiger to sort the last few things and then we will move forward on some other stuff.

The TR6 is now running and the parts are spread out all over the shop, so we will probably jam this one out next. We just converted this early, early BRG TR6 to wire wheels and this one will be bone stock for the waxers in the crowd.

Next, we will probably take another round on our Spitfire project and do some mild chassis and engine upgrades.

From there (if I am to live to see another birthday) we will get the Corvair done. I promise, Margie!

That should get pretty much everything we have in good shape and then we may go get that old early Spitfire race car a friend gave us, or maybe chase something German, Swedish or Italian down. I know where there is a decent 1972 Fiat 124 and a BMW 2002 of the same vintage. I also know where there is an early flat floor Jaguar XKE coupe, that was supposedly the New York auto show car.

What do you guys want to read about? How about an early Formula car, fifties kit car, early MG T series or early Mustang. I am ready for something different, how about you?

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
3/19/09 8:15 p.m.

I can't believe the GT6 is almost done and over with.

Monkeywrench
Monkeywrench Reader
3/19/09 9:07 p.m.

an old Formula Ford would be cool.

KaptKaos
KaptKaos Reader
3/19/09 10:24 p.m.

Pretty much any of the ones listed below, but in a hot rod or outlaw style.

Porsche 356 or 912

Fiat 850, 124 Coupe or X1/9

MGA Coupe

Capri

BMW Coupe 2800, 3.0, etc...

BMW 323

XKE Coupe

XJ6C

Opel GT or Manta

Alfa Berlina or Alfetta GTV or GTV6

Ford Fiesta

Ford Cortina

VW Scirocco MkI

Volvo 1800/1800ES

I'd add a Morgan to the list, but I wouldn't want to see that as a hot rod of some sort.

Coupefan
Coupefan New Reader
3/20/09 12:13 a.m.

You've done the Alfa. Now build its contemporaries: BMW 2002, Fiat 124 Coupe and a Datsun 510. Hell, call it the 2.5 Challenge Comparison or something.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
3/20/09 12:51 a.m.

Corvair? (perks up ears)

Man, I'm so glad I subscribed.

How about a BMW E3? Not-so-ugly 4dr sister of the E9 (70s CS and CSL). I had one (a `73 Bavaria 3-liter) in college, it would embarass a lot of smaller cars in a straight line-and in the twisties. I still recall my mom telling me she couldn't believe a car as large as our family's 77 Malibu could go down the road as well as my grey market E21 323i. She knew her stuff, she owned a 3rd generation Camaro and a 2nd gen Honda CRX after the kids grew up and got out of the house. Her only concession to aging is her new Mitsu Galant..

Here's probably the best place to start researching E3s in the US-it's the BMWCCA's `special interest group' for them.

http://www.seniorsix.org/

RandyS
RandyS New Reader
3/20/09 5:09 a.m.

I want to read the build diary of a ground up build of a tribute car.

A 1959 Ferrari 196s, Daytona Coupe, or a Senna last victory 1993 Australian Grand Prix McLaren come to mind. I'm not talking just a kit car. Sure kit car body parts could be used but as needed to save time but I'm thinking ground up.

Projects I thought were cool that I've seen on the internet was an accurate, complete and running Schumacher F1 recreation made from mild steel and fiberglass and an accurate Ferrari GTO made by cutting and sectioning various kit car body pieces on top of a custom chassis made to identical specs.

.02 Randy

PS. As an added bonuis the projects cars could be auctioned at RM after complete. The 2-3 196S tributes I've seen (complete with Dino engines) have sold for $150k and Daytona copies seem to be currently around $50-75k.

devine10
devine10 New Reader
3/20/09 7:26 a.m.

I'm biased, but how about an MGB V8 conversion, as well as a rubber to chrome bumper conversion..I'm just sayin..

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
3/20/09 7:36 a.m.

Datsun 510 gets my vote too.

Only because I'm looking and learning right now.

A.

Brett Melancon
Brett Melancon New Reader
3/20/09 8:14 a.m.

I know where you can find a complete, running X1/9 plus a stripped non-rusty shell with a Dallara body kit for $1500. This would be a great build-up with a modern Integra or MR2 powertrain. Wouldn't this look nice with modern power? I couldn't get the links to preview so click to see the images. I can put you in touch with the guy if you are interested.

http://www.x1-9.it/BOXAL2.jpg

http://laursen-online.dk/x1-9/graphics/dallara-icsunonove-3.jpg

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/attachments/other-italian-cars/93281d1203567358-bertone-x-1-9-picture-thread-75bertone_fiat_x1-9_dallara_2.jpg

http://www.fibercar.it/imagebrowser/ib_p007_0_1.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_J2jTRHN9O7s/SG6czMGzGaI/AAAAAAAAAy0/Y3fV74ZMcvU/s1600/Fiat.jpg

Ian F
Ian F Reader
3/20/09 8:33 a.m.

I'd be interested in seeing if it's possible to do a budget XKE restoration...

The "ran-when-parked" S1 I know of near me has nothing to do with it...

bikesnrovers
bikesnrovers Reader
3/20/09 8:54 a.m.

Land Rover Series truck to a V8 or diesel to be used as a car hauler.

I like the Corvair idea, too.

Or my GT6 since you have the practice one out of the way.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Reader
3/20/09 10:11 a.m.

There's a 1968 Datsun 2000 on another thread here at the CMS BB that would make a great project. It runs (a little) and seems to be all there (though some of it is in tatters).

These cars are underappreciated with lots of potential, making it exactly the kind of car worthy of a CMS project. I'd sure like to know more about them.

rconlon
rconlon Reader
3/20/09 11:06 a.m.

The idea of a diy kit car catches my interest.

What is available new? What platforms? Cost? Getting it street legal?

Last time I looked into a kit it was a Chimo on a VW pan and that was a lifetime ago. There has been a kit VW/MGTD for sale for a long time around here.

Here is another thought: What about something very old and pre-war?

Cheers Ron

pete240z
pete240z Dork
3/20/09 11:57 a.m.

I agree the Datsun 510 is at the top of my list, but I am also a fan of the BMW 2002. I love the 510's, but you only see one or two at time for sale on ebay. BMW 2002's usually have 10-15 for sale at any time.

You did an article a while back on the BMW 2002 and all the parts still available from the factory. That would be a nice set of articles. It must be either orange, magenta red, or tennis ball green....oh wait, you already did a car that color; Datsun 240Z.

I would love to see an older beetle built up to handle and perform. Or as I see it; "Porsche-ize" an older beetle. Anything that you can throw a pair of Weber's on ranks very high in my book.

bobpink
bobpink New Reader
3/20/09 3:05 p.m.

How about a Hillman, Ford Anglia or anything else out of the mainstream and kind of funky. Maybe an Alfa Romeo Guilietta Sprint, but one of these cars needing restoration can set you back about $10k these days. RML just sold one I think.

And even though I am a fan of them, the usual assortment of British and German cars has been done numerous times by many magazines. Yawn....

Featuring Margie's Corvair sounds like a great idea.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
3/20/09 4:04 p.m.

I've had a thing for sedans lately. Things like-

Ford Galxie 500 touring car
BMW 1600
Volvo Amazon
W111 Mercedes
60's Jaguar S-type sedan

OFracing
OFracing New Reader
3/20/09 7:31 p.m.

How about a formula race car to street car conversion? For example get a Formula Vee and make it street legal. Could be a real attention getter.

mike

DneprDave
DneprDave New Reader
3/20/09 7:35 p.m.

I would like to see a MGB-V8 and rubber to chrome bumper conversion also. A T MG project would also get my interest!

Dave

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
3/20/09 10:18 p.m.

Or a Sunbeam Imp?

img src="Sunbeam Imp Sport" />

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
3/21/09 7:03 a.m.

See my avatar, and realize I'm not prejudiced. But I'm going to say it...how about not doing another British car right away? You've got a Mini, multiple Triumphs, just did a Midget...it's kind of like "okay, we get it. The British made sports cars." The Datsun Z was a nice diversion. It might be time for a 2002 or a CSL type car. I absolutely want to read about the Corvair. Since Per's offing the Slaab, maybe assign him the task of building a vintage rally type car for Targa NF in the form of a Falcon or Barracuda S. A Datsun roadster would be different. As neat as 510s are, they are just so rare anymore that interest may be limited. I haven't seen one in over a dozen years. If you're going to do Japanese and not very available, go with a RX-3. Fiats: you've got endless choices for fun there. 124s, X1/9s, 850s are all fun cars and they have been completely ignored as project vehicles in any publication. I'd love to see a Ford Capri but there again, rather limited appeal. If that doesn't bother you, find one.

High end cars don't interest me all that much as I'll never own one, so doing an XKE or something isn't something I'd be excited about. I lived 'exotic' once with a Fiat Dino and it's mostly a headache if you're not well financed. Keep the project cars attainable and do features on other people's high end stuff, as far as I'm concerned.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
3/21/09 9:29 a.m.

Yay! Keep the 'Vair votes coming. (And I wouldn't mind a few more for an Imp--after the Corvair, it's one of my favorites, and I wouldn't mind a little moral authority behind any Imp lusting I might do in the future.)

Margie

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
3/21/09 1:21 p.m.

Racing on a real dime.

Is it as fun to race with a street legal racer? Can you actually drive to the track, run a full weekend and then drive home.

Real grassroots stuff. Kas and I were chatting about this very subject at the Glen last summer.

What are the pit falls, could you actually get insurance and is it really worth it.

Would love too see a project about that as its a front and centre issue for me right now.

A.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
3/21/09 3:00 p.m.

Andre, I did that for a couple years, though it was hill climbs and track days not wheel to wheel. It's not as great as it sounds. The car winds up being a compromise to stay street legal yet is not really pleasant any longer as a street car. I dumped mine and built a dedicated race car instead and haven't regretted it much.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile New Reader
3/21/09 6:18 p.m.

Well, lets see...Racing, I saw Morgan mentioned, street legal racing car...kit cars...That only leaves one choice:

I think you guys should do a Lotus resto, along side a Chaterham build.

Of course there is something very charming about a flat head Morgan 4/4. The bonus about a Morgan is that Lowes carries a wonderful supply of wood and wood working tools...Ask me how I know

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3O8YoSHoafZXU5UuqoEii0MVErj8nEJkdCk8F4UVk1Na7uwe0KCeA3o44hP55IpV