1 2 3 4 5
jgp1843
jgp1843 HalfDork
4/6/09 6:07 p.m.

As an old Corvair enthusiast (as opposed to an enthusiast of old Corvairs) I'd like to see Margie's 'Vair done right. An early 124 coupe would be great, too - much prettier than the later version. Maybe something wierd, but pretty, like a Lancia Fulvia? And I really like Europas.

Ian F
Ian F Reader
4/7/09 8:25 a.m.

I'd love to see a neglected Europa resurrected into a nice driver with a modern engine/trans... although that kinda sounds more like a GRM project...

bikesnrovers
bikesnrovers Reader
4/7/09 8:50 a.m.

Find out who the Stig is.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
4/10/09 3:29 p.m.

I like the Corvair idea as well! Then a Fiat 124 coupe. Then back to the Brits: do a Jensen Healey. Maybe compare it to the other offerings of the mid priced sports car world of the time: the 260Z, MGB, TR6, Alfa Spider, etc.

But I'm not biased.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/10/09 4:07 p.m.

Some really nice ideas. I do love Imps. I was really thinking of doing the Corvair as a period rally look car (if Margie will let me). I already found some cool sixties driving lamps at Carlisle last year. I also just stumbled upon what appear to be good deals on a 1947 Alvis Shooting Brake... a seriously cool English Woodie. I also am looking at a 1966 Corvette 327/4-speed roadster. Then, I tuck in, figure I should sort what I have and maybe get rid of one or two, as I don't seem to be able to keep them all running. By the way, we did a vintage tow vehicle, with our '63 Ranchero.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
4/11/09 8:29 a.m.

Maybe not as a project, but we do need an in-depth article on the Jensen-Healey. And hey, why not do one on the Inerceptor while we're at it?

Coupefan
Coupefan New Reader
4/11/09 9:19 a.m.

(wave time piece in face...you are getting very sleepy....) I may not be impartial, but for a pretty obscure vehicle, the 124 Coupe is getting allot of press...

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/11/09 10:15 a.m.

I like the idea of some stories on Jensens

bigwrench1
bigwrench1
4/12/09 9:50 a.m.

Have you done a vintage rally car before??? It might be neat to do one and run a vintage rally.

bigwrench1
bigwrench1 New Reader
4/12/09 9:53 a.m.

I also like a vintage formula car as a past Crew Chief on Forula Ford and C Mod cars

bigwrench1
bigwrench1 New Reader
4/12/09 9:53 a.m.

Would even help!!

Ian F
Ian F Reader
4/13/09 8:12 a.m.
bigwrench1 wrote: Have you done a vintage rally car before??? It might be neat to do one and run a vintage rally.

Depending on your definition of "vintage" they just did a Saab 99, which is completed and Per is selling (sold?).

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
4/14/09 3:26 p.m.
lasttr wrote: Spitfire Bill, I was afraid last year's "War of the Wedges" article would put TR8 prices over the top, but I got mine last fall after watching my retirement fund collapse. I would love to see a TR8 project NOW.

Funny you should mention the 401k thing. I just got a tidy sum plopped into my lap from a stock buyout (Rohm & Haas bought by Dow). I'm going to have to pay taxes on it anyway so I had thought about playing with it (investing in a British car). I have friend that has offered me a TR6 and I know he also has a TR8. I guess its a good thing I put it into my Roth yesterday instead. The real limiting factor is the lack of storage space.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
4/15/09 9:15 a.m.
bigwrench1 wrote: I also like a vintage formula car as a past Crew Chief on Forula Ford and C Mod cars

The Saab is for sale, but not yet sold. Its replacement, interestingly enough, is a 1976 LeGrand Mk18. Although that's going to be a GRM autocross project, Per says he expects it will also inspire some vintage monoposto editorial for Classic.

Oh, and keep those Corvair votes coming!

Margie

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
4/15/09 9:26 a.m.

Per wants a fintail Mercedes as a daily driver. Or a BMW Bavaria. Maybe after the Neon/whatever comes after that clears out of my driveway.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
4/15/09 10:23 a.m.

Fintails (and Bavarias) are pure hotness.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
4/15/09 4:12 p.m.

Someone mentioned an Opel GT or Manta. That would be pretty cool, they don't get a whole lot of ink any more.

Of course that's reserved for after the Jensens.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Reader
4/17/09 3:10 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: Per wants a fintail Mercedes as a daily driver. Or a BMW Bavaria. Maybe after the Neon/whatever comes after that clears out of my driveway.

Gotta go with the BMW 3.0CS over the Bavaria.

GSCReno
GSCReno New Reader
4/20/09 9:02 p.m.

A '66 'Vette??? Noooooo!!! Please, Tim, come back to us. I get more than enough Chevy ink in my monthly issues of Hot Rod and Camaro Craft. C'mon brother, find your center and walk toward the Blue Oval. Remember your roots, Tim! Please Margie, help us out here... Corvair, good. Corvette, BAD. Cheers, Scott

Coupefan
Coupefan New Reader
5/12/09 9:40 a.m.

So, was there a pick and is it public knowledge or will it be a surprise?

triumphcorvair
triumphcorvair New Reader
5/29/09 2:36 p.m.

I've got both a 65 Corvair or 67 Spitfire...so I'm covered whichever way you go.

Inner Child
Inner Child New Reader
5/31/09 9:59 a.m.

Corvair.

Or, have you done a microcar recently? Fiat 500 would be cool.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
6/1/09 11:10 a.m.
Inner Child wrote: Corvair. Or, have you done a microcar recently? Fiat 500 would be cool.

In my previous reply, I voted BMW Bavaria but said I'd like the Corvair. That was before I realized y'all already had one. May I suggest a compromise? Margie gets the Corvair done, if she'll let Tim do the vintage rally thing. Peace reigns in the kingdom again, Tommy's buddies stop teasing him about "stoopid forrin" cars, and the folks out in CM land get something cool to read.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
6/10/09 1:41 p.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: ..I was really thinking of doing the Corvair as a period rally look car (if Margie will let me). I already found some cool sixties driving lamps at Carlisle last year....

Isn't her car a convertible? The early Corvair convertibles have very strong frames (especially when compared to late convertibles) but a rally car?

I don't really remember where you left of with her car, but I am of course interested in seeing where you go. I would also be interested in your opinions on parts availability options and the Corvair community in general (I am already well aware, I am just interested in the outsiders view). I am a bit bias of course since I have a 64 convertible that I will be doing body and paint work on soon.

I would hate to suggest a late model Corvair (opps, just did) but they are different in a lot of ways from the earlies, generally a better "performance" starting point and there are a lot more "interesting" variations that have been tried. Dare I say V8 Corvair! (a whole backseat of loud fun) Now that would be interesting.

As far as specific suggestions, I would certainly have more for a late than an early (my 64 is a cruiser, the 65 is the mod / racey car).

M030
M030 Reader
6/14/09 6:10 a.m.

How about something German?

• BMW 2002

• Aircooled VW (it seems everyone builds these to look pretty and take to car shows - what about one made to handle or even go vintage racing?)

• Porsche 912 or 914

• Early 70's BMW coupe

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UXE0mw2Snk5dlvxvFVCThWHN14aBwngvr1IeF88yj15Tc9tYlbkFNsKPf8daXdCU