MattGent
MattGent HalfDork
3/2/23 7:30 p.m.

I’m located in Jupiter, would like to join an existing team or find the right group to form a new team. 

Goal would be to run the FL races plus maybe 1 or 2 out of state, in a car that is robust and reasonably competitive in class.  Car agnostic but prefer something RWD in B or C. Prefer to buy into a car, or buy a car, rather than build from scratch but I’m open to any path with the right team fit. BMW, Boxster, rx7, swap Miata, ??? I would prefer to race a focused champcar rather than shoehorn something from another rules set, in the interest of competitiveness.

About me: autocross since mid 90s, track days last 10+ years, and a few ChampCar races in rented seats. Mechanical engineer by day with tools and some wrenching experience on my track cars. Self-assessment as a driver: competent on track, wouldn’t claim to be super fast but learning racecraft and managing traffic.  Zero contact, offs, or black flags in the races I’ve done. Would like to gather data with other drivers in the same car to improve.

I have some ideas about what it would take to run a successful team. Shoot me an email if you’d like to chat.  

Matthewgent at gmail 

MattGent
MattGent HalfDork
7/19/23 12:42 a.m.

Update: there are now two of us, a car (fc rx7 built by speedsource), an enclosed trailer, a shop, and most of a plan.  We will be ready by Sebring in December.

if you're in the treasure or space coast area and this sounds like fun, contact me. 

cmcmillin31
cmcmillin31 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/2/23 10:33 a.m.

Just saw this.  I might be able to join you in Sebring depending on the date in December.  I live in NE Florida, and doing some races that are less than 8 hrs from home would be nice.  Shoot me a message and let me know what you guys are planning to do and we can go from there.

MattGent
MattGent HalfDork
8/15/23 6:57 p.m.
cmcmillin31 said:

Just saw this.  I might be able to join you in Sebring depending on the date in December.  I live in NE Florida, and doing some races that are less than 8 hrs from home would be nice.  Shoot me a message and let me know what you guys are planning to do and we can go from there.

We are really looking for long-term team members more than renters, but if you'd like to chat send me an email (in first post).  Shop is in Cocoa. I don't check here very often. 

Sebring champcar event is Dec 30-31.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/15/23 8:17 p.m.

Give me a shout if you want some info on that chassis in champcar.  I have been running a 2nd gen in champcar since 2012 (and winning races).

Rabenr45 at g mail dot com

MattGent
MattGent HalfDork
8/24/23 5:33 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Give me a shout if you want some info on that chassis in champcar.  I have been running a 2nd gen in champcar since 2012 (and winning races).

Rabenr45 at g mail dot com

Hi Rob, we chatted about your car before we bought this one.

We are on the steep part of the learning curve getting this car ready, will shoot a few questions your way.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/24/23 6:59 p.m.

I thought you name was familiar.  

Do eet.  

Give me a call if you want chassis help!

MattGent
MattGent HalfDork
11/22/23 2:48 p.m.

Car update to ChampCar spec is underway.  Have openings for crew, or 1 or 2 team partner/drivers in the Treasure Coast / Space Coast area.

We're working on taking some of the ITS/EP mods off to accommodate Champ points, getting safety gear up to 2023/4 spec, and setting up fuel surge system and lights.  Next will be performance (aero, wheels/fenders) and weight reduction.  Long-term maybe swap power.  We also have secured a spare near-complete car.

Right off the trailer as we got it, in 3 shakedown laps it ran mid-pack times at Sebring.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
11/22/23 3:15 p.m.

I guess I will throw this out there.  I'm on the other coast so it would be a weekend thing for me but I want to be a wrench on a full time race car.  I have been working on cars since I was a child with my dad and professionally have been swinging wrenches about 25 years.  Jag, Land Rover, GM, Alfa Romeo, Fiat (stellantis) master tech and 6G certified welder.   I would love to get me hands dirty in racing but really don't know where to start.  Helping a startup get and stay fast sounds like a good time.  Lemme know if you need any help on that end.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nG4TbwEkQslFWYrGbFEprJ3xvdgUUQj6zhC83526SIoAoP54SqpNDzZqomqFFkXT