1 2
ojannen
ojannen Reader
4/20/20 8:25 a.m.

Once the quarantine ends, my wife and I are going to start work on a garage in our back yard.  I am a semi-professional musician as my primary hobby/side job and I want to make the garage space a good place to play music in addition to a place to work on cars.  Since we are building from scratch, we can put the appropriate amount of concrete in place for any type of lift.  I don't want a 2 or 4 post lift because it will cut down on visibility across the room when using it for music.

What are my options here?  I am looking for something that raises higher than a quickjack.  I see a bunch of scissor lifts on facebook marketplace and craigslist for under $750 but I don't know the pros and cons.  A single post lift that is attached to the floor an ceiling could work too if I can put the one big post against the wall.  Are there any other styles that fit my needs?

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/20 8:28 a.m.

Do people still use these? Is the reason they aren't more popular the installation cost requiring more excavation?

In reply to EvanB (Forum Supporter) :

My understanding is that in ground lift like this have environmental/EPA issues with the hydraulic oil leaking into the ground. Plus cost to dig a large pit and foundation.

ojannen
ojannen Reader
4/20/20 8:51 a.m.

In reply to EvanB (Forum Supporter) :

That was my original plan but it looks like there are some serious environmental concerns.  I also live in Florida and the water table is about 6" under the surface.   I can't imagine those are easy to service.

the_machina
the_machina Reader
4/20/20 9:13 a.m.

What about a maxjax and then when you're not using it just remove the post that's in the middle of the space and store it in a corner. Maxjax are sort of intended to be installed and removed over and over, so shouldn't take much to switch from "two post working garage" to "pretty darn open".

The0retical (Forum Supporter)
The0retical (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/20/20 9:20 a.m.

You can do an in ground/recessed scissor lift like so:

They're going to be more expensive than a removable 2 post MaxJax, but they're easier to incorporate if you're starting from scratch and need a fully open floor rather than doing all the cutting and dirt work after the fact.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/20/20 9:20 a.m.
the_machina said:

What about a maxjax and then when you're not using it just remove the post that's in the middle of the space and store it in a corner. Maxjax are sort of intended to be installed and removed over and over, so shouldn't take much to switch from "two post working garage" to "pretty darn open".

I was thinking the same, this sounds like a good scenario for a bolt-down option. Don't they have a slightly beefier version now (or parent company does) if that's what you need? Having lived with a maxjax for a few years now, I'm not sure I'd want much more lift height, even if I had the ceiling space for it. 

edit: what actual work do you see doing? might impact the lift style as well.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/20/20 9:21 a.m.

See above. I have looked into it and they are 2-3x the cost of two post lifts. They go out of the way, but are not clear under when up.  Probably the only option if you need a fully clear floor. 

oldopelguy (Forum Supporter)
oldopelguy (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/20/20 10:00 a.m.

One of these  can get rolled out of the way when not in use. 

iansane (Forum Supporter)
iansane (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/20/20 10:03 a.m.

I have a 2 post in ground lift and love it. I can drive or roll cars almost anywhere in the shop and mine will still lift a full size truck to max height. However, it was here when I bought the house so I don't know the logistics of install or cost.

The audi dealer I worked at for awhile also used 2post in ground lifts. Really nice for a wide range of cars.

ojannen
ojannen Reader
4/20/20 10:04 a.m.

I am planning on doing basic car stuff.  Wheels, brakes, suspension.  It is rare for me to drop an engine or transmission.  I don't think I want a 4 post lift or lift with tracks due to the work I am planning on doing.  I don't need to store extra cars.

I had forgotten about the two post lifts with a moveable post.  Are they moveable with by one person?

What are the negatives of the in ground scissor lifts like this ?

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/20/20 10:21 a.m.

If you are building from scratch, I think you'd be nuts to consider anything other than a legit 2 post lift.  Mobile ones don't lift high enough, and are limited in capacity.

Sight lines?  Honestly, it's not that big a deal.  A scissor lift is much more obstructing.

1 post lifts aren't done anymore.  Environmental issues.

(I have built 7 shops with over 100 lifts in them combined)

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
4/20/20 11:47 a.m.

Paul-Not trying to be a weenie but Rotary still offers an in-ground single post lift.  They supply it with a big plastic reservoir that holds the guts.   I’ve also seen some portable 6k single post mobile lifts on the market.  Think fork truck mast without the rest of the truck.  

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
4/20/20 12:04 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

I didn't mean to say that quite that way. 

They still exist. But large shops and dealerships avoid them the vast majority of the time for EPA reasons. They are very rare. 

Is that a better way to say it?

Heck, most shops aren't even putting in floor drains. 

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/20/20 1:45 p.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

Paul, it sounded like his needs were pretty different than your usual clients. I have a feeling they'll be playing music in that space more than they'll be using the lift.

ojannen
ojannen Reader
4/20/20 2:18 p.m.

Music rehearsals will look something like this.  I want room for 6-8 players plus a conductor.  I am going to do a basic acoustic treatment on the room including roll-out carpets and moveable curtains in front of the wall cabinets. 

It is ok to have a post as long as it is near a wall.  I am trying to avoid a post in the middle of the room because it obscures sight lights across the room.  I was looking at the scissor lifts because it looks like I can have a nearly flat floor when they are down.  Maybe a better question is: given my weird set of circumstances, what is better than a quickjack?

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
4/20/20 4:12 p.m.

A recessed scissor lift. 

Quickjack doesn't lift very high. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
4/20/20 4:20 p.m.

What percentage of the time will the lift be in place?

If it's 70%, then go recessed scissor lift. It will cost you quite a bit more, and you won't have good access under the car (but it sounds like that won't matter a lot to you). 

If it's 10%, then Maxx Jack. Set some permanent threaded sleeves in the floor to bolt to, and build a closet to store it in. This will be cheaper, with better access under than the scissor lift, but less lift height, and less weight capacity. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/20 4:25 p.m.
oldopelguy (Forum Supporter) said:

One of these  can get rolled out of the way when not in use. 

Oh boy, I didn't need to see that.

Although "6000lbs lifting capacity" combined with "great for ATVs and motorcycles" has me a bit confused.

Trent (Generally supportive dude)
Trent (Generally supportive dude) PowerDork
4/20/20 5:28 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

Although "6000lbs lifting capacity" combined with "great for ATVs and motorcycles" has me a bit confused.

Well a standard two or four post lift is terrible for ATV's and Motorcycles. Track width too narrow for the 4 and overall width to narrow for the two. You have to get creative with 2X4s to do it. Looks like the shape of this is better suited

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/20/20 6:03 p.m.

I bought Woody's old MaxJack for exactly this purpose. I already have two above ground scissor lifts and only need clear center access on rare occasions. 99% of the time, the post in the middle of the shop would annoy the hell out of me. Far more than not being able to stand under the car. Why is this such a big deal? I seriously don't get it - and yes, I have used a full-on shop lift. 

Now I just need to build the shop to put the lift in... 

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
4/20/20 8:42 p.m.

I placed my lift pads 31" apart,plenty for removing transmissions,exhaust work etc.

Cost about double of a new 2 post,I don't regret the decision and I have something on it nearly full time as the dailys stay outside.

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/20/20 9:29 p.m.

I think it's worth it to chase your dream, honestly. If you're building from scratch then 'double the cost of a regular 2 post' is... not that huge a chunk of the overall cost and if you know you'll never regret it, i'd bite the bullet and get what you really want.

The only thing I would add about the recessed lifts is that you PROBABLY still want to roll out at least a thick rug if not cover it with an actual platform to avoid any of the gaggle of people you're having over tripping on it. 

I've worked around some old single post in grounds and i didn't mind them other than old-age foibles they had. Recessed would still be better. 

ojannen
ojannen Reader
4/21/20 5:49 a.m.

If I am 6'6" tall, am I going to be able to stand under a car in a one storey building?  I can't go higher because I have to double the distance from the edge of my property.  My lot is long and thin.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/21/20 6:09 a.m.

In reply to ojannen :

I have similar set-back issues. The biggest shop I imagine fitting on my 40'Wx100'D lot is maybe 24x24.  Probably more like 20x24. And 16' high is the max height. Even then, I'm pretty sure I'll need to get a variance for lot coverage.  My goal/hope is a vaulted ceiling on one side where the lift will go and work space with loft storage on the other. And a 3'+5' swing doors instead of an overhead door for better sealing and ceiling openness.  Plus, since my house already has an attached 1.5 car garage, without an o/h door the building might be easier to get through zoning approval as a "shop" rather than a second garage.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zDW51pd2JwEEg2xQyXd4Dip3DXNQ9UwDfvH2WDKpCyX1m9XEvYLcwIOr76l8nQUw