1 2
Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/18/09 9:44 a.m.

There are a lot of people who think that big old cars are safer. I think it's a good illustration. The Bel Air could have been a near-goner - a new paint job will shine up a turd pretty well, and you can probably buy all new parts for the body anyhow. As pointed out, lots of rust

I once called my insurance agency to ask if advanced driver training would help lower my rates. The only class they'll recognize to make you a better driver is the AARP one...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/18/09 5:47 p.m.

I told my father about this test.. and he mentioned once seeing a mid 50s chevy (this was back before he went into the navy in 66) that had been racing on Route 1 in Philly that lost control and hit a pole..

The engine went into the backseat.. after passing through the driver and passenger

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 New Reader
9/19/09 1:04 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: I told my father about this test.. and he mentioned once seeing a mid 50s chevy (this was back before he went into the navy in 66) that had been racing on Route 1 in Philly that lost control and hit a pole.. The engine went into the backseat.. after passing through the driver and passenger

Don't doubt it at all.

A couple of years ago, some teens were speeding on a twisting road (not high speed, couldn't get that fast), spun out, and struck a pole broadside in something like a mid '60s Chevy (I think). Snapped the car in half pretty much.

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
9/19/09 5:27 p.m.
ScottRA21 wrote: Snapped the car in half pretty much.

No biggie. That happens to Enzos all the time.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
9/19/09 6:19 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Apparently when you are driving a Bel-Air and suffer a front end collision your collar pops. So you not only die, but you get immortalized as a douchebag. jg

JG, I think you just made your own magazine's "Say What?" column.

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy New Reader
9/20/09 9:41 a.m.
Josh wrote: What I'd really like to see, though, is a similar test with a 15-20 year old car. I think the results might be just as dramatic, and there are actually people out there still daily driving cars of that era .

Like a 2009 Honda Fit vs. a 1989 Honda Civic wagon? That would be interesting - especially because I have many reasons for preferring the older Civic.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/22/17 1:58 p.m.

In reply to White_and_Nerdy :

check last post. in this thread... they did just that..

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/2009-vs1959-crash-test/14192/page1/#post2373136

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p9VWbz4nSL8QDm5HfS5URzV5cX5ph2JhhdxCYk8oa02at0MNEltJxP9BJv0InEsd