1 2 3
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/20/23 9:26 a.m.
feature_image

“Hey, my friend just got a $15,000 bill from the Porsche dealership. Want to buy a broken Porsche?!”

How could I say no to an ambiguous offer like that? On the other end of the line was a longtime friend who’d realized his dreams and moved to Seattle to work in the tech industry. An industry that, as it turns …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/20/23 9:39 a.m.

Are we stupid, or the smartest bargain hunters you know?

madmrak351
madmrak351 Reader
3/20/23 9:41 a.m.

This will be interesting! I would have jumped on that one too. I have a sister in the Seattle area, however I don't think her drive way is anywhere near lever enough to put a car on jack stands and the garage is  too full of stuff to accommodate any cars. Watching this with great interest.

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
3/20/23 9:47 a.m.

At almost 70k miles if you're pulling the transmission anyway you should really be planning to replace at least the clutch, probably the flywheel too.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/20/23 9:58 a.m.

This sounds fun

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/20/23 10:01 a.m.

This is the type of stupidity.... Err, content, I subscribe for :)

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/20/23 10:07 a.m.

Its a beautiful car!  I'm very interested to see how it plays out.  Good luck!

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/20/23 10:24 a.m.

This is fantastic content and will be a great adventure.  $15k is unreal - you can't lose.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/23 10:24 a.m.

Hong Norr would drive it home in 4th.  Just sayin'.  IIRC that's how they got a gen1 CTSV under challenge budget.

I'm guessing you've got a decent relationship with a Porsche parts supplier somewhere.  I gotta believe the info you're looking for won't be too hard for you to find.

in for updates!

pdmracing
pdmracing New Reader
3/20/23 10:47 a.m.

The guy to call about all things Porsche transmissions is Joe Cogbill @ Cogscogs in ga. get advice from the guy who does it for a living 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/23 11:00 a.m.

This sounds like a great story. I'm going to thoroughly enjoy reading it. 

I'm also glad I'm not the one living and writing it. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/23 11:01 a.m.

Me before driving a Cayman: "Wow, that's really stupid"

Me after driving a Cayman: "Yep, great idea, I'd do the same thing." 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
3/20/23 11:02 a.m.

I think having a line of communications with a good car shipping company in advance would be a smart safety net in case you can't pull this off in time and have to punt on the fly & drive.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/23 11:21 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Hong Norr would drive it home in 4th.  Just sayin'.  IIRC that's how they got a gen1 CTSV under challenge budget.

I'm guessing you've got a decent relationship with a Porsche parts supplier somewhere.  I gotta believe the info you're looking for won't be too hard for you to find.

in for updates!

[if you're gonna be a bear... be a grizzly bear! -jhaas] [if you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable. -stafford1500]

I would drive it home in 4th.  From looking at the gear ratios, I'd probably drive it in 4th because I didn't realize it had more gears.

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
3/20/23 11:49 a.m.

I think I would lean toward putting in a used trans, but that's just me.

Bufalo
Bufalo
3/20/23 11:58 a.m.

So.   Swap in a used transmission; you still HAVE the original to take with you (it's gotta fit in there somewhere); then rebuild the original when you get back to FL and then swap it again along with whatever upgrades you'll have inevitably decided you NEED to have and of COURSE you can justify them because you're MONEY AHEAD on the car already!!! It's a perfect plan. 

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
3/20/23 1:14 p.m.
Bufalo said:

So.   Swap in a used transmission; you still HAVE the original to take with you (it's gotta fit in there somewhere); then rebuild the original when you get back to FL and then swap it again along with whatever upgrades you'll have inevitably decided you NEED to have and of COURSE you can justify them because you're MONEY AHEAD on the car already!!! It's a perfect plan. 

I like the concept but I doubt that the transmission fits anywhere other than the passenger seat which is problematic for trying to do a road trip with a passenger.

wae
wae PowerDork
3/20/23 1:17 p.m.
dps214 said:
Bufalo said:

I like the concept but I doubt that the transmission fits anywhere other than the passenger seat which is problematic for trying to do a road trip with a passenger.

Couldn't you put a roof rack on before heading home?  I'm sure a ratchet strap would be plenty to keep a passenger attached.

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
3/20/23 1:31 p.m.

Not a factory one. Not sure those suction cup racks are rated for a person (or a transmission for that matter).

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
3/20/23 1:34 p.m.

Drain transmission fluid and look for a pin or pieces of pin on a magnet if one exist? If pieces are found, refill  and drive home in 4th with less worries about loose pieces and parts. 

danvan
danvan GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/20/23 1:37 p.m.

I believe it was the Grassroots forum that coined the phrase There is no such thing as a cheap Porsche

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/20/23 1:46 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

You gonna flip it, or become too attached to it too quickly and have to keep it for $15K worth of lawn art?

BoulderG
BoulderG GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/20/23 1:50 p.m.

Man, everything about this is wonderful and exciting! Whatever happens will be an adventure.

And HUGE kudos to your friend - this guy merits naming your child after him, not just buying him a beer.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
3/20/23 1:57 p.m.

Ed Bolian of VinWiki has the perfect descriptor: automotive masochism

And I'm certainly not one to talk.

And the car is white, so it's got that going for it.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
3/20/23 1:57 p.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

Me before driving a Cayman: "Wow, that's really stupid"

Me after driving a Cayman: "Yep, great idea, I'd do the same thing." 

Me after owning a Cayman: "Wow, that;'s really stupid"

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KyUXe0ImsGOBL4DHy1vg8Bd4FMhguYNFfZPi0StsxRtjDLP5whApQ5lc44p1Oe0X