Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
9/23/20 9:25 a.m.

If you had a few hundred bucks to spend on your car, what would you get? Maybe some new tires, a cold-air intake, new springs, or some other trick parts? While these items are all well and good, we’d recommend something else that has more value. 

Two words: dyno time.

It seems most people would rather buy parts than dyno …

Read the rest of the story

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/23/20 11:57 a.m.

Another great article.

Here's a couple of additional tips to avoid creating a great dyno fails YouTube clip from someone who used to operate a dyno.

Your pre-check should include the air pressure and condition of the drive tires and all the fluid levels including the differential and transmission. 

Don't complete a pull if the engine is clearly unhappy.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/23/20 12:56 p.m.

FWD pro tip - make sure the car has a full belly pan if putting things on kill. Signed, the guy that has to clean up the oil.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
9/23/20 1:54 p.m.
APEowner said:

Your pre-check should include the air pressure and condition of the drive tires and all the fluid levels including the differential and transmission. 

Don't complete a pull if the engine is clearly unhappy.

THIS...... If you don't want to be disappointed... make sure tires on the dyno are at least 35psi...  Yes... I know from experience.... 

Remember Grunt, my All-Trac Corolla....  well, 24psi delivered 58whp, 32psi delivered 71whp....... 22% more power in 8 psi

KentF
KentF Reader
5/1/22 10:52 a.m.

I once hurriedly showed up at the local dyno after work to do some test pulls. As they hooked up the instrumentation they had to touch and move around my spark plug wires (of course). Turns out the clips were corroded at the coil.  So a car that had been running "just fine" a few minutes earlier suddenly could barely idle let alone do a pull. They did give me a partial refund. I limped home and had to take things apart before I could figure out what went wrong. No preparation on my part meant disappointment.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3lNY0IlolIboxM1J4Ne90KiIDTCkU65jz2rosKts2Al34eZ3rfddWlB0Nmm7LJHx