obrut
obrut New Reader
6/4/17 2:51 p.m.

We are putting together a 84 (i think) 1.8L 8V engine for a rabbit. It came with the below pictured intake and carb. Can anyone give me any info on the intake? Is it a good setup? Its a side draft setup that doesn't leave much room for an air filter.

\20170604_103650_1496604889723_resized\\" />

\20170604_103626_1496604890962_resized\\" />

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/4/17 2:57 p.m.

Generally speaking, when you put sidedrafts on an A1 you have to trim the wiper/heater cowl for clearance.

That's an odd duck, given that it is pairing 1&2/3&4 instead of 1&4/2&3.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/4/17 3:10 p.m.

You'll want a heat shield between the intake and exhaust manifolds. Cut opening in cowl to pull air from base of windshield. Will make great noises!

obrut
obrut New Reader
6/4/17 5:49 p.m.

My concern is with the runner lengths and leaning out cylinders. The manifold looks like its made for a weber. I just dont know about mk1 rabbits, 1.8l engines and weber carbs - never had any of this before.

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
6/4/17 7:36 p.m.

I know nothing about it specifically, but I've always understood that equal runner lengths were fairly important with DCOEs. There's no plenum to even out the charge, so throat-to-throat variance could be an issue as well. If it were me, I'd find another matching DCOE and the appropriate manifolds to run dual carbs.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
6/4/17 9:41 p.m.

If you want to sell that thing, let me know. Looks neat.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/5/17 7:15 a.m.

It looks like the lateral branches split off beyond the center line of each carb throat. So, even though the air/fuel has a straighter shot into the medial cylinders, half the charge will still get shunted to the lateral cylinders. In other words, it looks like they might have been designed to balance the flow reasonably well.

If you're going for all-out performance, you'd probably still be better off with a dual-carb intake manifold. But that's not only twice money for carbs/jets/horns/filters, but also the added complexity of the throttle linkage.

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
6/5/17 7:27 a.m.

As other's have said, cut the cowl for better airflow since the intake will face towards the firewall and add a heat shield. Single carb makes tuning easier. Should be a good match. If you search in the technical sections of VWVortex.com, you should find the answers you need.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7oP8knZCpQFbzzVGy3g93f1s7iZQtnVOtUVuLGn4ZB3fuK1rzlR2jooBlDXGM4BC